PDA

View Full Version : laser eye surgery

Ryan
03-03-09, 08:21 AM
Just wondering if anyones had this done on here? i am having it done on the 18th of this month, hence why i cant get out on my bike at all now till beggining of april :( cant ware contact lenses 2 weeks before having it done and wont be able to ride for a few weeks after, and i wouldent even attempt to ride without them as my vision is so bad lol, expencive 20 minutes to have it done but will be well worth it :)

Honda_Star
03-03-09, 08:55 AM
hi - my sis had it done about 6 years ago and has never regretted it. She said it is over so quickly and has changed her life. All the best for the op and I am sure your riding will benefit rather than wearing glasses or getting dry eyes wearing contacts!

Kevinb
03-03-09, 09:51 AM
I think I will have to get it done at some point. The adverts appear misleading though £395 per eye when a woman at work had hers done it turned out to be £2k!

Hannah
03-03-09, 01:02 PM
I want mine done but they say you have to wait till your prescription hasnt changed for a few years and mine just seem to be getting worse all the time! so unfair :(

igbell
03-03-09, 01:04 PM
Now I could be wrong but I had heard that it also has to be done again about 20 years or so latter, is this true??
If so whats the price diffrence between getting specs or contatcs to having the eyes lasered away??

Honda_Star
03-03-09, 01:42 PM
My sisters eyes were really bad..and even though sometimes she needs specs when driving if she is tired..it is nowhere near as inconvenient as having to wear them all the time...not being able to see properly when you wake up etc etc

They are normally very good with their aftercare (i think she went with ultralase?) and re-operated on her a couple of years later free of charge (i think her contractual entitlement to after care had expired by then but they still agreed to the free treatment!)

R1chie
03-03-09, 05:16 PM
I think I will have to get it done at some point. The adverts appear misleading though £395 per eye when a woman at work had hers done it turned out to be £2k!

Everyone that I know who has had this done has said it averages out at about 2k total.

I wouldn't mind getting mine down but I can't afford it.

Would rather buy a track bike ;)

Ryan
03-03-09, 06:54 PM
Theres 3 types the 395 per eye is basic crap tht wont do alot, another type they told me for £1990 for both eyes, and the best one avalible at the moment which is £2590 wich is also the one im having, dose your colour vision, night vision, everything wich is cool, they say its permanant for life apart from the old age taking affect for close up reading, i cant see alot during the day and at night i cant even go out they are that bad cant see people in front of me who they are and that, contact lenses i use are ok leave em in all month but they get dry and irritateing at times, so this is gona be well worth the money

Iceman
03-03-09, 09:12 PM
works only one way apparently,depending on whether you're long or short sighted!

bubblylittleme
03-03-09, 10:46 PM
I had laser eye surgery 4 weeks ago....

There are 2 different techniques Lasik and lasek. I had lasik which is when they remove a flap and then laser eye. I could drive the next day after 24hr check and had better than 50/50 vision. I never had any pain
Lasek is when they laser the front of the eye so have to wear contact bandage for few days. This people who had it done was painful.

I had mine done with Optical Express at Cribbs and cost £1250! Anyone I recommend gets £50 off!

I still have to wear reading glasses at times but otherwise fantastic!

crewy
04-03-09, 01:59 AM
My Gramps had his catoracks removed by laser if this helps!!! lol ;D

Kevinb
04-03-09, 09:39 AM
I can't see anything without glasses and when I bought the MT-01 I had to upgrade the Labrador to a Greyhound ::)

Dabz
04-03-09, 05:10 PM
I want to get mine done, hate having to wear glasses (in the processes of booking an appointment to get contacts). bubblelittleme - the cutting really puts me off, I'm very squeamish :P what's it like?

Hannah
04-03-09, 05:24 PM
I have seen videos of this being done and shown on daytime TV. It doesnt look too bad, there are probably some on youtube you can watch.

Ryan
04-03-09, 06:28 PM
Dabz i am aswell i hate things like that normaly, but the more expencive one they dont cut u at all the laser dose the cutting, they numb your eyes, people i know that have had it done say u cant feel a thing, as i said i hate the thought of it, the thought how gr8 its guna be when its done after overides my worries :)

schwee
04-03-09, 07:54 PM
I had mine done in 2005. It cost £1200 for both eyes. I had Lasik at Optimax in Southampton.

The procedure was painless, but did feel a little chlosterphobic. The apply pressure to your eye until it goes numb and a little device does the cutting of the flap. The laser is quite noisy but resets itself if you move your eye. Very clever.

I had it done to join the police. My prescription before was -5.50 and I had better than 20/20 vision for a while. My prescription was still changing though, and I need to wear daily lenses again 4 years on, but my script is now -1.0 so loads better.

The after effects = I was immediately light sensitive and in a lot of pain, but this varies from person to person. After a few hours sleep in a dark room and some painkillers I was fine. I suffer 'haloing' now though and have been told that I have scar tissue on my eyes, but nothing that I'm that bothered with.

Good luck 8-)

bubblylittleme
04-03-09, 08:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-TUMw1FTmY - this is like the surgery I had.
They numb your eyes with drops, it is nerve racking but painfree. For 6 hrs it felt like I had put a contact lens in inside out so slightly uncomfortable. My vision now having worn glasses for 40 yrs is incredible! I can only describe it as 'seeing a fine pen line instead of a felt tip line' I can read number plates miles away it seems lol

The laser doing the flap costs an extra £1000 and the difference after 24hrs is nil. I was told the manual flap cut isnt suitable for everyone tho.
I was quoted £2400 for laser flap...I paid £1250 for manual flap

bubblylittleme
04-03-09, 09:00 PM
They did say they dont like operating on eyes of people younger than 25 and they must have had a stable prescription for at least 3 years!

I know 7 people who have had it done between 2003 and now and all said best thing they ever did. All are still free of glasses.

Ryan
04-03-09, 09:43 PM
yeah they had to check my back prescriptions cos being only 21 but its been stable for many years

Ducatista
17-03-09, 11:48 AM
Hi Ryan,

Can you let me know all about it.
What type you're having? which company? What the procedure was like, what the short term pain was like and of course the result.

I am considering getting it done this year, so would be interested to hear how it goes.

Ryan
17-03-09, 07:13 PM
Yep no problem, Im having LASIK with wavefront, at optical express in southampton tommorow, im a little worried now as theres some bad reports on the net of people that have had it go wrong, but im going to make sure i have all my questions awnserd before it goes ahead, everyone i know thats had it done has been fine anyway, ill let you know how it goes tommorow ;)

Dabz
18-03-09, 10:10 AM
good luck for the surgery today Ryan :) looking forward to hearing how it went

Ryan
18-03-09, 12:33 PM
Cheers Dabz [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ill let you know how it went soon as i can see the pc screen lol ;D

Ryan
18-03-09, 07:30 PM
Well i got back about 2 hours ago went straight to my dark room and had a sleep needed to keep my eyes closed as the light was making them sting, really pleased so far with the resaults can see good at the moment just abit hazey though and my eyes are abit soar, it was really weird how they done it could smell the laser burning my eyes not any pain just felt some strange sensations. Would defo recommend it as the resaults at the moment are gr8 and they will be even better within a week. Hopfully can get out on the bike at the weekend aswell ;D

bubblylittleme
18-03-09, 08:28 PM
glad it went ok for u too...wait till u wake up in morning, thats when i noticed it most as had worn glasses since age 9 and never seen clear in mornings

steveo
18-03-09, 08:36 PM
yeah mate glad it went ok for ya, see ya on the road soon

Ryan
19-03-09, 12:41 AM
Thankyou :)

Indeed steve! as soon as they are healed enough i shall be out all the time :D i really want to get out this weekend the surgeon said it would be best not to ride for a week from today but depending how my eyes are i may be out for a potter about somwhere this weekend ;)

ONFIRE
05-05-09, 09:41 AM
Thankyou :)

Indeed steve! as soon as they are healed enough i shall be out all the time :D i really want to get out this weekend the surgeon said it would be best not to ride for a week from today but depending how my eyes are i may be out for a potter about somwhere this weekend ;)

So how did it go, are you please with the results 8-)

Ryan
05-05-09, 09:00 PM
only 1 word FAN-BLOODY-TASTICO hmm 3 words? lol

joking aside its the best thing i have EVER done in my life well worth every penny, can read the smallest possible line the opticiain can get on thier chart, really really pleased not having to piss about with lenses anymore!!!!!!

steveo
08-05-09, 07:40 PM
wow that sounds great, glad its worked out for ya, c ya soon [smiley=thumbsup.gif]