PDA

View Full Version : "Sledgehammer to crack a nut"

redken1
01-10-10, 03:32 PM
The "Establishment" are talking about banning under 25's from driving at night and replacing all glasses in pubs with plastic ones. I say, let's go the whole hog, bulldoze all residential homes and move back in to the caves. Talk about using a "Sledgehammer to crack a nut."

Moo
01-10-10, 10:12 PM
I agree with you Ken. In my jaundiced view its a prime example of folk within the H&S area having to justify their existance by pushing the limits of sanity towards the zero accident heaven. >:(

Only trouble with this approach is that the only way to guarantee never having an accident is never to be born in the first place. :(

Rant over! :-X

BladeTriple
03-10-10, 01:15 PM
They may get away with replacing glassing in pubs with plastic cups however banning under 25s from driving at night will put a limit on a lot of people from working for one.

Look at the amount of U25 Police, Firemen , Doctors, Nurses etc and of course all our Armed Forces who come back from serving in Germany or who go on leave after duties and driving at night will be unavoidable as well as the middle of the night moves in and out of locations.... Its total speculative crap , you might as well read the sun and the star and believe what's said in there too! ::)

Toph
03-10-10, 02:32 PM
they don't tell porkies in The Sun do they??!!! ;D ;D

redken1
03-10-10, 03:04 PM
The official report to which I refered to was the subject of a debate on the Jeremy Vine show on radio 4. Apparently, the proposed curfew would not affect under 25's driving to work or at work. For the record - I have never purchased a Sun newspaper in my life. I do think however that the fact these draconian measures are being discussed on national radio is a sign of the times. My dad told me he laughed when he first heard that the wearing of crash helmets may become law.

BladeTriple
04-10-10, 08:11 AM
Ken I'm sure it was a subject on Jeremy Vine however we all know how the media runs in this country , it likes to build people up then knock them down and they have more run of the country than most politicians these days.... You only have to watch the news when the next big thing becomes tattered and torn so I always take absolutely everything I hear in the press with a pinch of salt unless I know for a fact that it has happend and the facts that are coming out are 100%

Right now this is all speculation and seeing how the public will react and naturally it will have the 'OMFG YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS... I'M GOING TO MY MP TO COMPLAIN ' attitude from the raging masses.

Look at this seriously , there is no way on this planet they can enforce a no U25 driving at night policy , it would be rediculous to tar all under 25's with the same brush as the minority of Clampets that get them the ill deserved reputation. I had been serving my country for 6 years at the age of 24 and was married, been on 2 operational tours, I would've personally stuck 2 fingers up at the law if they tried to enforce this crap and then ran off to the European Courts of Human Rights who seem to allow everyone and anyone to get away with more or less murder so I know I would be fine with getting of a no drive by night law enforced.

Seriously ... This ISN'T going to happen.

With regards to your Dad mentioning helmet laws... Different kettle of fish, its health and safety and would you ride without a helmet on your bike or a seatbelt in your car? No ... However telling under 25s no driving at night has to be justified... Sorry kids you have no night vision until you hit 25 so its not allowed, you can give yourself cancer (smoke) from 16, you can go out and get drunk legally, cover yourself in tattoos and vote from 18 , you can even go to war and get shot and blown up for your country at 18 but we don't trust you to drive at night until you're 25 :D :D :D..... Nope I don't see it !

I know the Tories are a Cunch of Bunts ... but not even they would get away with a breach of civil liberties like that . Maybe they should just do what Ze Germans do and enforce so many hours of night driving and motorway driving into the drivers syllibus prior to them sitting a test.

CBRowner
04-10-10, 11:23 AM
They should ban the under 25's from driving anything over 1300cc and restrict the bhp, just like they do in a couple of our commonwealth countries.

As for glasses in pubs, most of Europe use ones that shatter into tiny pieces so you can't use it as a weapon. It's the same with ashtrays, which isn't really an issue in the UK anymore. Bottled beers should come in metal containers now, just like the Bud bottles.

Fez
04-10-10, 12:26 PM
I would love to meet the people who come up with these kind of ideas and also find out how much they get paid.

redken1
04-10-10, 08:51 PM
With respect Blade Triple (apologies I don't know your first name) I listened to the whole debate on radio 2 and the proposal is the same as the helmet and seat belt law in the sense that the report was about health and safety and looking at ways to reduce deaths and injuries to the under 25's age group. I do agree with you however, that this ludicrous suggestion will never make statute law. I raised these two separate issues because I believe the "Raging masses" should always be on their guard and ready to rsist any unfair or bad laws at an early stage.