PDA

View Full Version : Florida

spudgun
03-10-10, 10:42 AM
Off on holiday at end of the month, but don't fancy "death by disney" so looking for a few things to do for a few days to break it up a little

there's a space shuttle launch whilst we're there, so thats one day sorted

anyone been & got any recomendations?

silly_simon
03-10-10, 10:59 AM
Haven't been personally :( but a mate went last year and said Seaworld is a good day out and so too is the everglade's with an airboat ride [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Although it is a fairly long day that one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Shuttle launch will be a spectacular sight i would imagine :) Jealous much... No not me :( :( :(

Dabz
03-10-10, 11:29 AM
Which part of florida mate? The Gulf Coast is worth a drive to - stunnng beaches and much more pretty than tourist land!

BladeTriple
03-10-10, 01:10 PM
If you're doing that neck of the woods get yourself on an Everglade Safari, see the Gators and the Everglades, get yourself down to Miami too its only a 3 hour drive at the outside stop a couple of nights there too.

Disney is great as is Universal but theres so much more to do while you're there too. Get yourself to Daytona Beach ... I guess it depends on the time of year you go but you could be sneeky and book in time for Bike Week too :)

Moo
03-10-10, 02:51 PM
Which part of florida mate? The Gulf Coast is worth a drive to - stunnng beaches and much more pretty than tourist land!

Not sure if the Gulf Coast in Florida was hit with the slick, might be worth checking if you are thinking about going there!

Mas1
03-10-10, 03:52 PM
You could try busch gardens in tampa only about 1 hour away. or you could try coco beach just over 1 hour away.there is a bike night at old town kissimmee on a thursday night and cars on a friday/ and saturday night.daytona beach is nice. if you like roller coasters islands of adventures is very goooood.

there is so much to do have a great time

ps i will be going in 5 weeks cant wait :)

wiltshire builders
03-10-10, 05:04 PM
Typoon Lagoon!!!!! If you like water parks you'll love it. If you don't......what the hell is wrong with you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bubblylittleme
03-10-10, 07:08 PM
Definitely Seaworld...

Hazel-nut
03-10-10, 08:09 PM
i would recomend the everglades!i did that when i was younger and went on a hovercraft and still remember it now!loved seeing the crocodiles/alligators (i cant tell the difference :P )
if you do venture to disney epcot is a good one!its not very disneyey but is definitly worth a day out!half of it is shops and rides from other countries and doesnt even touch on disney!if you can stay late for the fireworks as well thats definitly worth it!
i can understand you not wanting 'death by disney' but you have to vist at least one park if you're going all that way :P

Hazel-nut
03-10-10, 08:10 PM
shuttle launch will be awesome!i went to the place and saw one being prepared but didnt see the launch!was cool to see though

hope you have a great holiday whatever you decide to do

spudgun
03-10-10, 08:45 PM
cheers guys

airboat ride looks like a must and maybe a trip down to miami 8-)

Nelly
04-10-10, 08:56 AM
Got to agree with Typhoon Lagoon. Great fun :) and bike night is Kissimee is top notch! :)

mcicy
04-10-10, 04:14 PM
the everglades is a must dude but make sure you go really early or late in the day as the gators don't come out as much during the day

Fez
04-10-10, 04:56 PM
Hire some kind of insanely big SUV american vehicle then own the road!

BladeTriple
05-10-10, 07:51 AM
Florida is a bit like Spain with Micky Mouse tho ... Orlando is full of Brits and we found Miami was full of Germans ;D.

Have an amazing time whatever you choose to do over there . If you go to Sea World make sure you wear flip flops tho as I hear the Whales have had eaten a the odd trainer ;D

SupeRDel
05-10-10, 09:20 AM
Have been twice.

Its a bit bigger than you expect - roads are good but allow a bit of extra driving time to get places.

Space centre was a good visit - even interested the kids.

Disney parks are a bit "old hat" but they do have some good rides.

Typhoon lagoon was ace as was blizzard beach - we had more fun there than in the disney parks. .. :D :D :D. They are a must!!!
Forget the other disney park though.

Daytona beach was worth a visit as well if you like cars. $5 to cruise on the 20 mile beach at 5mph. Pull over and watch the show cars go by.

Universal studios was ok but the "world of adventures" was even better.

Sea World was good as well. Spent ages feeding the dolphins. Whale show is a must see as well as long as the whales perform.

We drove over to Tampa and Clearwater beach - not really worth the effort.

Go in one of the steak houses and have a go at the "big" steak - eat it all and its free! You will fail.

Breakfast at the many resturants in the morning along the 192 at Kissemee - All you can eat for just a few dollars (over 50 things on menu. The waiter brings you clean plates half way thru so you can get some more :P

You tip your personal waiter who serves you at the table.

Prices have gone up a bit since last time I was there though

Car rental people always try to make you upgrade for a few dollars more. If you wanna upgrade then haggle. If he keeps pushing you to upgrade it might mean he does not have your car - so he ain't got a choice but to upgrade you for free.

Gerry
05-10-10, 11:05 AM
I love Florida…

The wide open roads, the people, the food, the weather - brill place.

The best bits from a few times there are the beaches & sea, Universal Studios & Sea World, the Everglades.
Last time we went, we went to collect our hire car and was sent to what looked like a multi-story car park full of new cars, with the instructions “just pick one from the ground floor” we took ages going up and down the rows, different models, engines, colours etc etc it was like shopping with unlimited money.

Love the “all you care to eat” breakfasts with 50 plus items to choose from and staff that actually smile and chat to you.

Cheap clothes shopping, cheap fuel etc. don’t know why I don’t just move there.

G :)

Dabz
05-10-10, 11:59 AM
I grew up in the US..would love to go back there to live :-/

Gerry
05-10-10, 12:31 PM
Just remembered... on our last visit, we were hoping to go and see the space shuttle launch but it was put back to our departure day.

We were quing outside of the airport when it went, even from that distance is was simply awesome (the exact right word in this case) !
Everybody (100%) simply stood and watched until it was a dot.
Brilliant.

G

igbell
08-10-10, 07:18 PM
I would say, Gatorland, CoCo beach for some surfing (and Ron Jons Surf shop), shuttle launch, Blizard Beach, The other part of the sea world where you can swim with dolphins and sharks and stingrays, Airboat ride.