PDA

View Full Version : Forum Upgrade - 30th Dec 2010 - New Features

Dabz
30-12-10, 05:21 PM
You may have noticed that the forums are a little different after today's software upgrade. The colour schemes need a bit of work but having spent the last 8 hours doing the upgrade I'm going to tackle that another time!

We now have a couple of new features:

Event Calendar
Accessed from the menu bar at the top of the forums, this will be used by the Events Team and Admins to keep a calendar of all the events. Members can't currently post their own events to this - while we get to work adding in the ones already posted in the meets & ride-outs section - but you'll be able to add your own soon!

Birthday List
Again, accessible from the top menu. You cna now see which members have birthdays coming up!

NB: for any member who wants to remove themself from this list, just remove the information from your User CP

If you find any bugs in the new software or have any issues, please let me know via the Site Feedback board :)

Dabz

Snowy
30-12-10, 05:53 PM
Well done Dabz - I have no idea how much work it took but I'm sure it was a lot. Nice to see the event calendar and I like the drop down menu to select the number of recent posts to view. Thanks for all the effort. :)

Dabz
30-12-10, 05:56 PM
8 hours 10 mins solid lol! I'm not sure if I like it personally, but then I don't like change :P

Snowy
30-12-10, 06:00 PM
Like most things it will take a little familiarity to become at ease with the new layout and I'm sure you will tweak it a little now and again! Well done.

Roxy
30-12-10, 06:00 PM
Well done for all that chick, geeks rule!! [smiley=thumbup.gif]

roxy x

Last Train
30-12-10, 06:20 PM
Top work and much appreciated

8-)

HensonA
30-12-10, 06:28 PM
Well done and thanks Dabz.
All looks great to me [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
30-12-10, 06:39 PM
Looks Great good job [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
30-12-10, 06:40 PM
Personally I don't like the way that the 'info bar' on each post (about the poster) breaks up the flow of the ocnversation in a thread but I'm sure that can be changed

The 'alter moderator' button will be handy :)

HensonA
30-12-10, 06:46 PM
The 'alter moderator' button will be handy.

Don't you mean "Alert Moderator" not "Alter" !!!! ... I know you've had a v long day doing all this upgrade !!! :D ;D

I see what you mean about the "info" bar on each post going right across the page, but I'm sure it's something that folks will become used to in a very short period of time.

Dabz
30-12-10, 06:48 PM
lol yeh, alert :P 8 hours staring at the screen has ruined me ;) fortunately I have a bottle of Red open for tonight...

HensonA
30-12-10, 06:50 PM
You deserve it ..... a nice Chianti ??????? !!!!!!

Dabz
30-12-10, 06:57 PM
or two... ;)

Beamer
30-12-10, 07:00 PM
hehehe....so far so good......I like it......(but as an avid FB fiend I'd love a 'like' option so users can just say they like a post etc......not really its only 'cos I forget what site Im on and get easily confused) WELL DONE JAMES...... you did good boss xx ;D ;D ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
30-12-10, 07:08 PM
Ye well done James get you apint next time I see you. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ro
30-12-10, 07:59 PM
Looks good to me!

Bonnielass
30-12-10, 08:42 PM
Good job James, I don't think many people like change but we'll get used to it. :)

Hazel-nut
30-12-10, 09:02 PM
I have been having fun putting events in the calendar but ran out of events :P

KP
30-12-10, 10:27 PM
You could have added the 2nd Sunday of the months for our rideouts lol

Scotty
31-12-10, 01:33 AM
I've noticed that when replying to a post or writing a PM, the text in the window on the screen displays really small, as if it's about size 6 or 7, yet the text size box says it's 11... :-? When sent or posted, the text display the normal size on screen. I'm using Google Chrome as my internet browser, but was doing so before the update and never had this issue... Any ideas? :-?

Postscript - as I sent this message I noticed the Text size command at the bottom right hand corner, default setting being size 6 - setting this to 11 is a bit big, 9 is about right... ::)

R1chie
31-12-10, 01:40 AM
I found my quick reply box had a default setting of 11.

I changed it to 10 via the quick reply box and it has stayed the same since.

Hazel-nut
01-01-11, 12:54 PM
i will get round to replacing the events at some point :P
they got deleted when the forum died yesterday :(

SupeRDel
02-01-11, 09:46 AM
I've noticed that when replying to a post or writing a PM, the text in the window on the screen displays really small, as if it's about size 6 or 7, yet the text size box says it's 11... :-? When sent or posted, the text display the normal size on screen. I'm using Google Chrome as my internet browser, but was doing so before the update and never had this issue... Any ideas? :-?

When you get old like me....

Hold the CTRL down and roll the mouse thumb wheel forward or back.

SupeRDel
02-01-11, 09:53 AM
Must say that I think the avatar box at the top of each post generates a lot of wasted space.

On some screens all I see is 2 lines of posted text the rest is empty space.

All this scrolling gets annoying.

BB
02-01-11, 09:57 AM
RSI in your index finger joint! :D

BB

Beamer
02-01-11, 10:14 AM
RSI in your index finger joint! :D

BB

I call that my 'facebook finger' ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dabz
02-01-11, 10:24 AM
Del - totally agree, will have a look to see how we can change the layout at some point

SupeRDel
03-01-11, 06:48 PM
Have seen a lot worse. I am researching an article on a french bike club.

Their forum is free - the downside is every few posts an advert posting is added by rhe forum hosters.. >:(

It gets bloody annoying as they have flashing text, etc.. >:(

Scotty
04-01-11, 07:28 PM
Whilst you're having a fiddle with the settings Dabz, would it be possible to reinstate the list of members who've been on each day at the foot of the home page? :-?

Dabz
04-01-11, 09:46 PM
That was a modification that won't currently install properly..it's top of my list tho because it was v.handy!

Scotty
05-01-11, 12:20 AM
Another question Dabz - do you know why posted images (using photobucket) appear far smaller on the page? Sometimes it's possible to right click and open individual images in another tab (possible using Chrome) but sometimes not (using Explorer from work, and others have found this too though I'm unaware of their browser type...)
Any ideas? :-?

Hazel-nut
06-01-11, 11:59 AM
I have just put a load of events in the calendar again :) hope i havnt missed any off-let me know if i have and i will put them in for you
i have included the link to the thread so you can go from the calendar straight to the information
i havnt put in the monthly rides as their arent any threads on them yet so they will get put in once the thread has been started

Scotty
06-01-11, 12:52 PM
Does this make you the official WB Calendar Girl then, Hazel? ;)

Hazel-nut
06-01-11, 01:05 PM
im not sure about that scotty :P

Dabz
06-01-11, 03:41 PM
Another question Dabz - do you know why posted images (using photobucket) appear far smaller on the page? Sometimes it's possible to right click and open individual images in another tab (possible using Chrome) but sometimes not (using Explorer from work, and others have found this too though I'm unaware of their browser type...)
Any ideas? :-?

it's meant to make the loading time better, and when you click on them it opens in a larger window..may not be working properly tho

Scotty
07-01-11, 12:18 AM
That makes sense to be honest, the loading time is much quicker and if reading a post below the one where the photos are, the page doesn't keep jumping down as the images load up. Left click on the image opens it nicely 8-)

R1chie
07-01-11, 11:16 PM
That makes sense to be honest, the loading time is much quicker and if reading a post below the one where the photos are, the page doesn't keep jumping down as the images load up. Left click on the image opens it nicely 8-)

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]