PDA

View Full Version : Good books?

Squashed_Fly
02-01-11, 09:57 AM
Anybody read anything decent recently? At the risk of sounding completely gay, I have just finished reading Darcey Bussels autobiography, and am just about to start the Stigs! I also got a really cool book on Surfing for Christmas so looking forward to starting that.

Favourite books? Well Marching Powder was an amazing read, along with The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night. That made me cry! Also, I can recommend The To-Do List!

Living with an English Teacher, our house is like a library. I prefer the factual based stuff, she likes the classics!

redken1
02-01-11, 10:55 AM
What Bike? Full of lovely coloured pictures of exotic two-wheeled works of art. :-[

Toph
02-01-11, 11:13 AM
I'm reading Michael Mc Intire's book, "life and laughing" at the moment.. really funny !! ;D

BladeTriple
02-01-11, 12:25 PM
The 5 people you meet in heaven ... a strange book how heaven isn't the paradise we all envision but a place where your life is explained to you by 5 people who you knowingly or unwittingly effected their lives or they did yours, touching and interesting read.

Basically anything by Terry Pratchett is brilliant too try Guards Guards as a starter if you've never read anything by him

One up is a good book too about a girl serving alongside the SAS with the Int Corps

Taylor86
02-01-11, 02:12 PM
The Dexter series by Jeffry Lindsay is a brilliant set of books :) If you don't mind a bit of serial killer action.
If you like the TV series you'll definitely love the books.

Squashed_Fly
02-01-11, 03:21 PM
5 peeps in 'evan - mentioned that to jen and she's read it. Apparently we have it at home in her library so will read it

RedSoul
02-01-11, 06:18 PM
Neil Asher if you like your sci-fi "hard and fast".........Richard Morgan if you like your sci-fi noir,sadistic and action packed....... Ian Banks if you like your sci-fi "thought provoking".Andy Remic if you like "military sci-fi" or Hamilton or Michael Cobley if you like "space opera".

wiltshire builders
02-01-11, 07:03 PM
The road to gobblers knob, Geoff Hill. Two men Travel the Pan-American highway from Chilie to Alaska. Having traveled on part of this road myself, it is amazing that they lived, let alone completed it.
Stealing speed, Matt Oxley. True story of east Germanys domanance in 2 stroke engine technology and how is was stolen from under their noses by their greatest rider.

Four Kings. The story of "Marvolous" Marvin Haggler, "sugar" Ray Leonard, Thomas "the hitman" Hearns and Roberto Durran.

CQB Close quarter battle. Mike Curtis. From a welsh miner to SAS soldier. This is one of the best books I have ever read.

I don't really read fiction so all the above are based on or about true events.

Mitch9128
02-01-11, 09:50 PM
The God Delusion-Richard Dawkins, only just got round to this. "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

Loops
02-01-11, 11:32 PM
I'm a book worm myself - most of my books have been read over and over and are looking a little worse for wear ::)

My current plan for New Year is to work my way through a list of Top 100 books. Mostly fiction by the looks of it, a mix of classics like Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, with a good number of modern writers like Bill Bryson, Phillip Pullman and Roald Dahl.

I have the list on my computer, let me know if you'd like a copy Fly :)

Toph
03-01-11, 12:05 AM
All Martina Cole's books.... apart from the last two novels,, they are bloody crap.
:(

Jacde
03-01-11, 03:07 AM
Terry Pratchett - Disc world books, they're fab. ook! (read and you'll find out!) ;D
Dick Francis - horse racing world based novels normally crime based.
Paul Bretton (I think, might be Britten) - Jigsaw man, very harrowing, hes a profiler
I have these if you want to borrow them. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Shindlers List
Patrica Cornwall - Kay Scarpetta books, about an american pathologist

Squashed_Fly
03-01-11, 07:56 AM
I might borrow the profiler one if that's ok Jac? That sounds up my street.

Scaredy_Cat
03-01-11, 09:19 AM
I would recommend any of the Lincoln Rhyme series by Jeffrey Deaver. He wrote The Bone Collector, which was made into a film with Denzel Washington & Angelina Jolie.

Also the Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs, the Tempe Brennan books by Kathy Reichs. I also really enjoy Karin Slaughter, Tess Gerritsen, Robert Crais, and Patricia Cornwell.

Having said all that, I'm currently reading The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov (Simples!) ;D

Jon_W
03-01-11, 05:54 PM
Just read "A Man Waked into a Pub" by Pete Brown. A very interesting and funy book.

Jacde
04-01-11, 03:36 AM
I might borrow the profiler one if that's ok Jac? That sounds up my street.

SQ no probs, will try and get it to you asap, you interested in the H&C on Wednesday, I finish nights that morning and fancy a Smellyburger ;D

Squashed_Fly
04-01-11, 09:05 AM
Do you fancy driving? My car is going back to work today :(

Jacde
04-01-11, 09:43 AM
Yep, my turn to I think, will pm you at some point tomorrow once I wake up

Squashed_Fly
04-01-11, 09:58 AM
Fab! Cheers hun x

Think Jen may come along too, so you can meet her. She promised she would if I went to a Salsa class tonight with her.... Not sure what I've let myself in for!

Morticia
13-01-11, 05:13 PM
Terry Pratchett is SO funny!!!

Have you read the wee free men, Jacde? CRIVENS!!!

But I think my all time favourite is the little prince. I actually cry every single time I read it. Yes, I'm sad like that, I read that book 2 or 3 times a year...

virginie_morisot
14-01-11, 03:30 PM
love the little prince, favourite childhood book...
sad but beautiful, read several times..
i'm revisiting the classics at the moment..