PDA

View Full Version : Can't afford a fasterer bike...

Mitch9128
17-01-11, 04:55 PM
So i need to lose some lbs!
Put the home gym back together today, and spent 30 minutes getting a sweat on, but i know i'll ache tomorrow, and motivation will be a far distant memory. So top tips for losing the lard and keeping motivated are needed please, don't hold back, i'm 3 stone heavier than i was when i gave up ciggies 5 years ago and 6 more than when i left the mob :( Help...

Morticia
17-01-11, 04:59 PM
I can help, but it'll cost you. I'm a PT ;D

No seriously, interval training. A little training gem.

Dabz
17-01-11, 05:00 PM
if you have an iphone, MyFitnessPal is a free app that's very handy for calorie counting but also making sure you get enough protein etc to keep you going during exercise. Lots of cardio is the key really, with watching what you eat..nothing more difficult than that! As for motivation, I find that decent music makes a run enjoyable rather than hard work and a training partner is perfect for keeping you going

Mitch9128
17-01-11, 05:10 PM
I can help, but it'll cost you. I'm a PT ;D

No seriously, interval training. A little training gem.

What like Fartlek?

wiltshire builders
17-01-11, 05:15 PM
A little obvious but you need to be burning more calories than you're consuming. Have a long look at your diet. I couldn't shift a few pounds and I was hitting the gym 3 times a week. I cut out crisps and pastry and the fat fell off.
Avoid empty calories and processed food. Whole foods are best, wholemeal bread, brown rice and pasta, before training.
You don't have to be a saint, just think about what you eat.
Gym machines don't work. They only help you lift more weight on the machine. Use free weights and do combination excercises to work a range of muscles. I'm at the olympiad quite a bit so if you fancy popping down let me know.

Mitch9128
17-01-11, 05:23 PM
Sedentary job has been the biggest culprit, i've got lazier and lazier. Food isn't an issue, i eat well, too well and no processed foods. Booze has played a major part too, when i gave up fags, i found i could drink gallons and have barely a hangover the next day.

BladeTriple
17-01-11, 06:10 PM
If you can eat less 'wheat based' products it will help. I lost 3inches off my waist in 3 months when I had no option but to go onto a gluten free diet because of my coeliacs.... Wheat is stodgey ... Look how many fuller figured italians you see who eat pizza and pasta vs fuller figured SE asians who live off rice etc .

You can eat what you like as long as its in moderation, if you feel hungry grab a glass of squash first if you're still hungry then eat.

Try grazing on fruit etc , if you must eat choc etc by day change a mars bar for a fudge or something smaller .

I know what I'm saying about pasta going against WB's view on pre training food but if you're not training as much then ease off it .... If you can get yourself out on gentle jogs and build up like you used to when you were in the job .

If that doesn't work I will get some vain PTI with gelled hair and a bronzed body to come around and call you fatty while beasting you ... You will love me for it

Lisa

Squashed_Fly
17-01-11, 06:11 PM
best advice is don't diet!!! Fad diets don't work (well they do in the short term, but not long!).

How much water a day do you drink? Get a 2 litre bottle and fill it with water. If you're not drinking it all every day, you're not drinking enough. The body needs water to help break down fat and increase metabolism.

In addition, try to eat foods with higher protein content. Muscle is made of water and protein. Doing weights basically tears the muscle, so you need to increase your protein in your diet to repair it quickly. The more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be and the more fat you'll burn in a given period. Carbs before a workout are good, but try and switch bread for brown, same with pasta. And if you can stomach it then rice as well.

Last but not least, do as I say, not as I do. What I lack in motivation to do it myself, I make up for in theory and knowledge! lol

Mitch9128
17-01-11, 07:27 PM
I may just move back to Yorkshire, i fit in there :) Seriously thanks for the advice, i guess i knew most of it, just haven't been arsed for such a long time. I also fear the cost of all that new gear, if i lose all this lard :(

Snowy
17-01-11, 08:09 PM
If you can eat less 'wheat based' products it will help. I lost 3inches off my waist in 3 months when I had no option but to go onto a gluten free diet because of my coeliacs.... Wheat is stodgey ... Look how many fuller figured italians you see who eat pizza and pasta vs fuller figured SE asians who live off rice etc .

You can eat what you like as long as its in moderation, if you feel hungry grab a glass of squash first if you're still hungry then eat.

Try grazing on fruit etc , if you must eat choc etc by day change a mars bar for a fudge or something smaller .

I know what I'm saying about pasta going against WB's view on pre training food but if you're not training as much then ease off it .... If you can get yourself out on gentle jogs and build up like you used to when you were in the job .

If that doesn't work I will get some vain PTI with gelled hair and a bronzed body to come around and call you fatty while beasting you ... You will love me for it

Lisa

A PTI with gelled hair and a bronzed body......???? They must employ a different kind of PTI over your way than the ones I have over with me Lisa ;D ;D ;D
The beasting bit seems common though - 4 new recruits going through it in the gym tonight. But then we are renowned for it this side of the Plain. ;D

bubblylittleme
17-01-11, 08:22 PM
Maybe we could start a weigh in night to encourage those of us needing to lose weight...
nothing better than encouragement and cheers when you lose!
Maybe at one of the wb meets each week.

redken1
17-01-11, 08:36 PM
My mate told me a really fast way that I could lose a stone of ugly fat. He said, "Chop my head off." Who needs mates like that! ;D

smellygerm
17-01-11, 08:45 PM
Focus, positive, and get your ass to a gym, take up any free offer of help but train your way it only puts you off struggling to keep up with freaks. Slowly slowly loosy weighty

Jon_W
18-01-11, 08:46 AM
Don't go too fast too soon. Most people make the mistake of going off all excited, traing like the devil for a week then feel exhausted and full of aches, and give it up.

Break in slowly, start at 50% of what you want to do, then build up over a few months to full training pace. It's not a race after all...

If weight loss is your goal, long steady sessions of running and similar will get the weight off. It also builds up you heart and lungs which is always a bonus.

As to food, eat sensibly, don't diet, you are consuming more calories exercising, so you will need to ensure you intake matches. Eat well, fruit, veg, meat, pasta are all good.

As Smelly says, concentrate on the positive, You'll soon feel and see a difference.

Nooj
18-01-11, 06:40 PM
Motivation? A full length mirror! ;D

No, I don't own one, I'd be too scared to walk past it!

bobf279
18-01-11, 08:55 PM
I am almost a year since I quit smoking, I put on loads and have really concentrated on exercise and diet since October resulting in 13lbs gone by Xmas.

I am using a reebok step and some small weights to do my own interval training, when the weather permits I go for a jog and have progressed from run walking around 18 minute miles to an easy 10 1/2 minute miles. I use a garmin GPS watch to keep me motivated tells me heart rate, distance, speed, time and all easily uploaded onto my pc.

I have also used my iPhone with the free app Runkeeper which is another gps based programme and for January the formerly paid version is free to download too.

Main thing with my diet, cut out/down on bread and potatoes no choccy, cake, biscuits etc except for a treat.

I know my body shape has changed and I can get into my leather trousers again which is a major triumph, I still have more than 2 stone to go but now that I am a lot fitter and more active I have every confidence that I can get back to a more comfortable weight.

I too was in the army and I remember those vain PTI bellowing instructions like "10 times round my beautiful bronzed body GO"

BladeTriple
19-01-11, 07:59 AM
Bloody hell Bob...... It must be like carrying a bergan with all those gadgets you have as company on your runs ;) lose a few gadgets and you'd probably knock a couple of minutes off your best mile and a half time 8-)

Just kidding , anything that gives you a goal to aim for and help you acheive it has to be a good thing.

Likes been said a few times before tho, its best to set small goals and build up to bigger ones as you progress or you will get disheartend and throw it on all and dive into a pile of chocolate .

Theres no need for fancy gyms and treadmills and muscle mary gym sets. We get stuck in with some comfy running gear, GOOD TRAINERS that suit your feet and running style not fashion crap and those swiss balls that you do sit ups on for a tenner are probably the best piece of gym kit you can own in your home , get your sit ups done while watching the telly on that thing, granted you miss half the programme but you will feel it in your abs and your core if you're doing it right , trim tum for those summer days when you're walking round in a tshirt and bike gear.

Anyone starting a weight loss / fitness regime good luck and fgs if you're out running at night or cycling wear some kind of hi viz vest because cars don't see you at the best of times x

jonnydangerous
20-01-11, 12:56 PM
feck the diet, alter the gearing on your bike :-) less top speed more acceleration.
instant results, no pian loadsa gain ;-) you wont need to buy new leathers or jeans either :-)

sorted......... :-)
its what i did...hahaha

nah, seriously, two issues here, good luck with losing any if thats your aim, give me some tips if you do well please!
also, you dont need a faster bike! ZX9 is a monster :-) but the gearing suggestion is worth a shout......

Mitch9128
20-01-11, 01:24 PM
I'm 6'2" and carry the extra weight fairly well, i'm not unfit for normal duties, but i can't run 5 miles never mind 500 yards without a walk these days. The 9r is a great bike for big blokes, it power wheelies in 1st and 2nd no problem, but that could be the lard over the shock!

Jon_W
21-01-11, 12:58 PM
Just start off steady. Better to walk or slow jog for an hour than blast for 5 mins.

As BT says, a good pair of Running shoes are a must.