PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists on the news

Kevinb
01-02-11, 09:40 AM
Cyclists wearing head cams to protect themselves from other road users. I bet they don't film themselves cutting up cars, motorcylces and buses, jumping red lights and generally anoying other 'paying' road users.
If they want to use the roads they should pay tax and have to have insurance like the rest of us. All they appear to do is slow down the already crawling traffic

Mitch9128
01-02-11, 10:01 AM
What about horse riders? Pedestrians? They also slow down traffic, should they be licensed/taxed and insured also?

Jon_W
01-02-11, 11:29 AM
Don't see why cycles should pay road tax. As Mitch says, what next? Tax for walking down the pavment?

Saw the artical in question, problem is, as with motorcycles, a few to**ers screw it up for the rest. Most cyclists are, as with motorcyclists, law abiding, but get frustrated by some motorists who think they own the road and try and push you off of it.

Not sure if these head cams are admissable as evidence of a crime, but only a test case will prove this once and for all.

Mitch9128
01-02-11, 11:52 AM
Jon, how many motorcyclists have been 'busted' on evidence of on board cameras? No test cases needed there. However, as a 'sometimes' cyclist, i can see why they do these henious crimes, and where they are coming from. The roads are awful, car drivers value other road users lives less than a dint on their gleaming bodywork. Only the other week a cyclist was killed on Rowden hill, he came a cropper on the narrow pavement, and went head on into an oncoming car. Sure he shouldn't have been on the pavement, but he probably felt safer there, than cars encroaching on his space on the road. They don't have this problem in some European countries, as bikes are given proper cycle lanes, not a lane in the glass/debris infested gutter. Have some sympathy for our 2 wheeled brethren.

Mitch9128
01-02-11, 01:38 PM
For those that didn't see the tv this a.m. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12334486

Jon_W
01-02-11, 02:00 PM
Jon, how many motorcyclists have been 'busted' on evidence of on board cameras? No test cases needed there. However, as a 'sometimes' cyclist, i can see why they do these henious crimes, and where they are coming from. The roads are awful, car drivers value other road users lives less than a dint on their gleaming bodywork. Only the other week a cyclist was killed on Rowden hill, he came a cropper on the narrow pavement, and went head on into an oncoming car. Sure he shouldn't have been on the pavement, but he probably felt safer there, than cars encroaching on his space on the road. They don't have this problem in some European countries, as bikes are given proper cycle lanes, not a lane in the glass/debris infested gutter. Have some sympathy for our 2 wheeled brethren.

It's not the cop cameras, it's private head cams that I'm talking about. Not heard of a conviction based on the evidence of one of those.

The above aside I agree. You cannot ride on the pavement without being nicked, the side of the road is pot hole central, and covered in sharp puncture inducting objects and if you dare venture out into the lane, you risk death from the next car!

Col
01-02-11, 02:17 PM
Thing is they have every right to be on the road and they also have to obey the rules..one being 'do not cycle on pavements'..and other users must give them consideration and enough space.

Personally I find 'em a pain especially when their blooming clubs are out clogging the roads en masse :-*

Kevinb
01-02-11, 02:21 PM
What about horse riders? Pedestrians? They also slow down traffic, should they be licensed/taxed and insured also?

Pedestrians shouldn't be on the road unless crossing.
May be horse riders should, but I'm not sticking the rear number plate on ;D
I'm not sure if horse riders have to have insurance (liability) If a horse decides to bolt it could cause a lot of damage to pedestrians, motorcyclists, cars and themselves.

Mitch9128
01-02-11, 02:36 PM
Fact is, Cyclists and Horse riders have a 'right' to be on the road, drivers are there by license, not 'right'. Too many people forget or just don't know this, a little patience is all that's required in your mad rush to get to work, and remember a dint in your wing=equals broken bones for them.

Uber Dave
01-02-11, 02:54 PM

It's not the cop cameras, it's private head cams that I'm talking about. Not heard of a conviction based on the evidence of one of those.

There have been a couple of cases I have read about with motorbikes esp that the rider was convicted for dangerous driving after posting video on youtube. Cant find any links or details but I remember two at least.

wiltshire builders
01-02-11, 05:19 PM
Cyclists wearing head cams to protect themselves from other road users. I bet they don't film themselves cutting up cars, motorcylces and buses, jumping red lights and generally anoying other 'paying' road users.
If they want to use the roads they should pay tax and have to have insurance like the rest of us. All they appear to do is slow down the already crawling traffic

Is that what they call a sweeping statement? Surely you're not serious.

Kevinb
01-02-11, 06:17 PM

Is that what they call a sweeping statement? Surely you're not serious.

Not really serious. Just getting it off my chest and starting a little debate ;)

Mitch9128
01-02-11, 07:34 PM
BTW there is no such thing as road tax, it's vehicle excise duty and is paid into the big central tax pot. Roads are funded either by local councils from council tax and governmant grant, or in the case of trunk roads from central government.

redken1
01-02-11, 10:00 PM
Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy. :(

I believe, as a country we should take a leaf out of the Flemish and Dutch book and encourage cycling as the benefits would be three-fold. A reduction in road congestion, a reduction in our carbon footprint and perhaps, a reduction in obesity.

In the meantime, spare a thought for the old chap with defective hearing riding on his cycle without a care in the world. When out of nowhere, a boy-racer passes him at close quarters, at high speed on his race exhaust clad sports bike.

Kevinb
02-02-11, 02:13 PM
Some of the the anti-cyclist sentiments being expressed in this thread makes me feel a bit uneasy. :(

I believe, as a country we should take a leaf out of the Flemish and Dutch book and encourage cycling as the benefits would be three-fold. A reduction in road congestion, a reduction in our carbon footprint and perhaps, a reduction in obesity.

In the meantime, spare a thought for the old chap with defective hearing riding on his cycle without a care in the world. When out of nowhere, a boy-racer passes him at close quarters, at high speed on his race exhaust clad sports bike.

you are right about the Dutch they spend money on their road and cycle way system. The roads are in excellent condition and cycle ways run along side keeping cyclists out of the way of other road users. What about the old chap with defective hearing driving along when a cyclist overtakes him at night with those very annoying led 'head' lights.

Mitch9128
02-02-11, 02:24 PM
What about the twat in the BMW with HID lights...

Snowy
02-02-11, 06:28 PM

Sorry

Jon_W
03-02-11, 09:16 AM

you are right about the Dutch they spend money on their road and cycle way system. The roads are in excellent condition and cycle ways run along side keeping cyclists out of the way of other road users. What about the old chap with defective hearing driving along when a cyclist overtakes him at night with those very annoying led 'head' lights.

I agree they are annoying, but with half the driving population seemingly blind to cycles, they seem to have become essential. The fundemental issue is that people need to look! Cycles are around and entitled to be on the road, they must obey the rules of the road and other users should be patient and remember that one person only generates about 0.5 bhp, a lot less than the average car!!!

Iceman
03-02-11, 12:24 PM

Well said! ;) ..and for the others, you need to ride a cycle to experience the agressiveness around you while cycling.I can never fathom out what happens to the ordinary person who turns into a demon with horns when they get into their vehicle!

Uber Dave
03-02-11, 12:56 PM

Sorry

I actually spat some of my coffee out then when I read that! Thanks for nearly ruining my keyboard!

Loops
03-02-11, 07:43 PM
I agree they are annoying, but with half the driving population seemingly blind to cycles, they seem to have become essential. The fundemental issue is that people need to look! Cycles are around and entitled to be on the road, they must obey the rules of the road and other users should be patient and remember that one person only generates about 0.5 bhp, a lot less than the average car!!!

Agreed - I pass lots of cycle on my way into work, and while most of them follow the rules of the road (those get my respect and I will give them the space and time they need) I see so many who take no notice of the rules of the road - running red lights, flying across pedestrian crossings, hopping on and off pavements, pulling out in traffic without even a backward glance...those are the ones who need to change their attitudes.

On the subject of flashy lights, I've got to say they are easier to spot at a distance! There's one guy who has two static and one flashing light on the back of his bike - I can see him from about half a mile away! ;D

Snowy
03-02-11, 08:35 PM

Sorry

I actually spat some of my coffee out then when I read that! Thanks for nearly ruining my keyboard!

Sorry

Actually I have a spare keyboard if you need one - us twats are nothing if not generous ;D

Jon_W
04-02-11, 09:06 AM

Sorry

Sorry

Actually I have a spare keyboard if you need one - us twats are nothing if not generous ;D

;D ;D ;D

redken1
04-02-11, 09:11 AM
The fact is that there are significant numbers of road users travelling on/in all modes of transport that drive/ride irresponsibly.

If the internet was in existence sometime in the beginning of the last century similar negative comments (to some of those on this thread) directed towards motorists and bikers would probably have been posted on a horse or cycling forum.

I wish the gift that God had give us to see ourselves as others see us

BladeTriple
04-02-11, 09:20 AM
I'd love to be able to cycle to camp from Westbury in the mornings but it would take me nearly 2 hours to get here and the other issue is other road users. Like has been said before some people really treat cyclists as a pain in the bum obstacle rather than another road user.

We know ourselves how badly car and truck drivers can treat us on two wheels with an engine in , they don't realise how bloody intimidating a tonne or more of metal cage sitting on your back wheel and then grazing past you can be.

Some cyclists are total nobbers but then again so are some other road users and it tends to be the impatiant b@st@rds in their steel cages who need to be somewhere that fraction of a minute sooner that cause the dramas by taking stupid risks with other peoples lives.

To be honest we have both experienced the same kind of treatment by car drivers when out running on country lanes, we're lit up with hi-viz vests, flashing lights and cyalume sticks and yet they still pass with a gnats width between you and their wing mirrors! cunch of bunts!

Iceman
04-02-11, 12:42 PM
I'd love to be able to cycle to camp from Westbury in the mornings but it would take me nearly 2 hours to get here and the other issue is other road users. Like has been said before some people really treat cyclists as a pain in the bum obstacle rather than another road user.

We know ourselves how badly car and truck drivers can treat us on two wheels with an engine in , they don't realise how bloody intimidating a tonne or more of metal cage sitting on your back wheel and then grazing past you can be.

Some cyclists are total nobbers but then again so are some other road users and it tends to be the impatiant b@st@rds in their steel cages who need to be somewhere that fraction of a minute sooner that cause the dramas by taking stupid risks with other peoples lives.

To be honest we have both experienced the same kind of treatment by car drivers when out running on country lanes, we're lit up with hi-viz vests, flashing lights and cyalume sticks and yet they still pass with a gnats width between you and their wing mirrors! cunch of bunts!

well said! Too many knob heads out there for sure! Several years ago while cycling along,a van turned left in front of me buckling the front wheel when he hit me!This is a very common occurance. Like I said before,most car drivers are oblivious to cyclists and treat us with contempt.They need to cycle for a week to realise how vulnerable one is and maybe show respect next time they see one.

Jon_W
04-02-11, 12:50 PM

well said! Too many knob heads out there for sure! Several years ago while cycling along,a van turned left in front of me buckling the front wheel when he hit me!This is a very common occurance. Like I said before,most car drivers are oblivious to cyclists and treat us with contempt.They need to cycle for a week to realise how vulnerable one is and maybe show respect next time they see one.

a good proportion of the population couldn't cycle for more than five minuites, let alone a week...

pilninggas
04-02-11, 04:55 PM

the other thing about Flanders and Netherlands is they are billiard-table flat. Riding across bristol is fine, but for a lard-arse like me is a breathe-killer. from Duinkirke to Den Haag, is almost hill-free.