PDA

View Full Version : Home recording studios & musicians only!

Iceman
23-01-11, 08:59 PM
Apart from bikes, I love playing guitar and home recording using my modest but functional studio in the spare bedroom!Just wondering how many other budding musicians are out there? The pic below is me and my wife Patricia doing a cover for my CD."Band on the Run".No, not the "Wings" cover!lol
I play a Fender Telecaster (lefty that took years to save up for). Maybe we can have a sideline on music and Ideas? ;)

Iceman
23-01-11, 09:07 PM
my modest studio

Iceman
23-01-11, 09:08 PM
My cherished Telecaster!

bubblylittleme
23-01-11, 09:16 PM
Wish I had a studio....lol

I just have a guitar and my voice..

Squashed_Fly
24-01-11, 08:35 AM
I have used Cubase & Ableton for dance music production, and I now use Ableton for multi track recording, layering my guitars bass and vox. I play the drums, but don't have a kit so I use the kits in Ableton to lay down the drum tracks.

Current studio is just my laptop and Ableton as I got rid of loads of kit when I split up with my ex inc the allen and heath mixer ( :( )

Dabz
24-01-11, 10:05 AM
I got rid of all my recording kit a couple years back after it laid gathering dust - was a load of M-Audio kit, cubase on a PC etc

Iceman
24-01-11, 06:34 PM
"Squashed fly". I too used Cubase and still rate it as one of the best out there.Lately I purchased "Presonus Studio One" which offers some really quick workflows and I find myself using that more than Cubase. I know nothing about Ableton but heard it's good for "Live usage". I'm running a Quad cpu and 4Gb ram.Input is via Alesis multimix USB.I use a controller keyboard by M-Audio and the rest is misc stuff, like guitars,mics etc. Tried playing on real drums and found it difficult, but play the bass and keyboards Ok although I wish I had better vocals,but most people say that anyway!lol
I'm looking at "laptops" to simplify my setup and also portability.I may end up selling my controllers and just use a simple USB 24bit interface. Choices eh! :)

Dabs!...never knew you were into recording and DAWs'!

Dabz
24-01-11, 07:23 PM
I used to be - been playing the guitar for 16 years, also play the drums...tho sold my kit a few years back. I don't play much these days tho, never find the time!

Honda_Star
24-01-11, 07:33 PM
Don't have a studio but I do play a Roland keyboard and have taken the leap to have piano lessons - eek!! Maybe something I should have done many years ago! :)

Iceman
24-01-11, 10:20 PM
Don't have a studio but I do play a Roland keyboard and have taken the leap to have piano lessons - eek!! Maybe something I should have done many years ago! :)

I do teach piano as well as guitar,but alas I moved to Devon last year after work contracts ended! Don't over pay for lessons.And make sure you're being taught what you like and also see If the tuition includes backing tracks and scales to work along with!.I always supplied a complete package! :)

Iceman
24-01-11, 10:23 PM
Dabs, actually I do remember talking years ago with you about music.We discussed a jam session with "little bubbleme" If I remember right one night at the Sallys! Are you still picking the axe?

Squashed_Fly
24-01-11, 10:51 PM
Am tempted to buy my mates telecaster at the moment. He's only played it a few times and wants £300 inc the hard case. But then I keep thinking, if I keep saving, I could get either the ibanez or les paul that I fancy. Selling my old Gibson LP is one of my biggest regrets

Iceman
25-01-11, 12:20 AM
Am tempted to buy my mates telecaster at the moment. He's only played it a few times and wants £300 inc the hard case. But then I keep thinking, if I keep saving, I could get either the ibanez or les paul that I fancy. Selling my old Gibson LP is one of my biggest regrets

I used to own a Les Paul as well as the Tele. The Les Paul was great overdriven but the Tele is superior sonic wise
running clean,Depends on what you want to play! I freelanced on the country rock circuit years ago and the Tele was the tool of the trade with it's raw razor cutting tone! But when playing Gary Moore's Parissian Walkways,well it had to be the Les Paul for sure.Great tone but at the end of the day it's down to raw talent, and practice,practice practice!

Dabz
25-01-11, 04:29 PM
You can't beat the sound of a clean les Paul through a decent tube amp! I have a Gibson lp, used to have a nice big Marshall stack too when I was playing in bands, gorgeous sound!

My current dream setup is a prs tremonti and a Mesa boogie triple rectifier...yum

Iceman
25-01-11, 05:09 PM
It's all subjective Dabs music and the sound.The LP has humbuckers so loses clarity when played clean but excells when overdriven,which is how most are played. The Telecaster is single coil so sounds thin in comparison but has a bright punchy edge sound especially when played clean! I owned both and used the LP for heavier type music driving the amp,and the Telecaster for light country picking with no overdrive or distortion pedals. The LP or Humbuckers in particular do offer you"humbucking performance" ie, no mains hum and no noise. My Tele is very noisy in comparison but I just love the edgy piercing tone that really cuts through at the jam sessions I have attended! Of course,the amps play a role so If you want to overdrive then valves still have some lead. I used to own a Fender super 60 valve combined with the LP and Tele.A breat amp which I now regret selling.I've had an original 60's Twin which was the biggest piece of rubbiosh I ever owned.The age meant that most components were worn out and I was constantly reparing it(I do electronics).
Nowadays I use a solid state Fender amp and played clean still delivers a sparkling tone. There's a few online jam sessions If you wanna "cut heads". Always a good way to expand your licks. :)

I suppose it's like comparing an R1 to a Gold wing.Which one's better? Depends on the useage intended! Sums it up nicely I think! :)

Nooj
26-01-11, 02:22 AM
Left handed Telecaster eh? I've got one of them. Must have saved up a bit more than you though as I have the Custom one ;) Fender Hotrod Delux is my amp, 50w valve, ear splittingly loud for a 'small' amp, it can cut through the din a 100w Marshall half stack!

You can most definitely rock out with a Tele, listen to Led Zeppelin I if you need proof. And of course the solo on Stairway To Heaven, possibly the Tele's finest moment.

For more recent Tele heaven, you'll need the first Masters Of Reality album, the twin Tele sound on there is really meaty and heavy, yet still unmistakable. And of course Creep by Radiohead.

Not played seriously for almost ten years now, I got kicked out of my last band just after I took up biking and had a big crash, but still have the kit, just in case like ;D

Iceman
26-01-11, 05:27 PM
"Nooj", yeh,I do rock out occasionaly on the Tele but mostly I play clean and love the punch & clarity sound! Yngie malmsteen also uses single coils(strat)! Status Quo as well! Since I mostly play country rock the Tele is the tool of Trade! Regards,the Tele. Yes,not as expensive as the Custom and I also binned the pickups and mounted Seymour Duncan 52s'. You got any home setup?

Scotty
28-01-11, 09:58 AM
Something that may interest the musos amongst you, Star and I went to see the Larry Miller Band at Newbury's Corn Exchange last night - most excellent they were too, he's a fantastic Blues guitarist 8-)
For nearly all the set he used a Les Paul, one song he used a Telecaster for and another a Musicvox, as he described it; "when I heard it had a head shaped like a cashew nut and a body from Salvador Dali I had to have it" - he played slide on it and I noticed that it only had five strings fitted (and it packed up half way through the song so he finished it with the Les Paul). Talking to him after the gig I asked about the five strings and he said it was tuned in G or something and the bottom string got baggy so he removed it and moved them all down one. Apparently Keith Richards does the same...

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 10:29 AM
Yeah, with slide guitar you tune the strings to a specific chord so effectively the harmonics then become a bar chord. if you're not playing slide then you might tune it to E or A so then you can play any chord with just 1 finger for those 'less talented' or 'totally out of their skulls' guitarists out there ;)

jfranci1
01-02-11, 05:41 PM
I make all my own gear, amps, speaker cabs etc., and I have a room with all the gear in, along with a PC that plays midi files through keyboard, drum machine etc., which I use for practising. If anyone wants to bring their guitar/voice along for a jam or play with the gear then you are more than welcome. (Look for CJS Services on Google if you want to look and hear the kit)

Iceman
03-02-11, 03:17 AM
"Katman"I used to make all my own gear too years ago. Even had "Holmes music" in Swindon ready to sign a contract for my amps! Used to do repairs for Holmes and Kepster customers.Nowadays things are much cheaper so no longer interested and frankly,had a belly full!lol I'm now living in Devon,otherwise would have taken you up on your offer! Besides bikes,music is a great passion of mine and jamming
with other likeminded musicians! Curious about the"_3rd Dan"in your sig. Are you into martial arts?

jfranci1
08-02-11, 11:33 AM
Hi Iceman,
Many thanks for your message. I am into many things and yes martial arts is one of them, so yes you guessed it, I am a 3rd Dan (in Tae Kwon Do). I have been doing it for over 15 years now, but I am at the age where the mind is more willing than the body! If you are ever in the area, please feel free to call in. I have a les paul (copy), strat (copy), and Tele (copy), so something to suit most styles.

Iceman
08-02-11, 07:15 PM
Hi Iceman,
Many thanks for your message. I am into many things and yes martial arts is one of them, so yes you guessed it, I am a 3rd Dan (in Tae Kwon Do). I have been doing it for over 15 years now, but I am at the age where the mind is more willing than the body! If you are ever in the area, please feel free to call in. I have a les paul (copy), strat (copy), and Tele (copy), so something to suit most styles.

thanks for the reply.Yeh, the "dan" got me curious. I was an unarmed combat Instructor for the military(last post RAf Lyneham),and instructed "Civilian" instructors by performing Seminars. As you live in Wootton Bassett you may know Kevin Sanger,one of my students,who runs the SSKA karate school along with the Tae Kwon Do school in the same sports hall! If you see him mention my name"David Mackie". Nice chatting and keep playing!