PDA

View Full Version : Raft Race

bubblylittleme
24-02-11, 11:22 PM
The Chippenham River Festival runs on the bank holiday w/e in August.
They are looking for competitors to built and race their own rafts from the town bridge to end of monkton park.

How about we enter a mens raft and a ladies raft? Their are strict rules applying to max size of raft etc
Life jackets are supplied!
Anyone up for it? It's good fun!

Nelly
25-02-11, 07:51 AM
Blimey i did that quite a few years ago. Me and some mates built a ocean going vessel pile of wood with some barrels attached, dressed up in stockings and suspenders and launched our pride and joy. About 8ft from the bank, it broke up and sank faster that the titanic :(
I guess my record isnt that good on shipbuilding then....

BB
25-02-11, 01:15 PM
We used to do that annually years ago from Staverton to Bradford (the raft not the stockings) Used to have a great laugh and raise a goodly sum for charity.

I am in the IOM that week so cant make it. (Phew!) :D

BB

Jacde
25-02-11, 01:23 PM
Sounds like fun, I did a raft race many many years ago on the Thames, just up from the Barrier so the river in Chippenham holds no fear ;D
I have good suggestions for ammo [smiley=evil.gif] but will keep it for the ladies team only ;)
If I'm not working I'll be up for this [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Loops
25-02-11, 02:18 PM
Well if I can't help build a decent raft I'm letting the family down - got a whole load of engineers on my dads side! ;D

Reckon we could build a modular raft that could be transported there by a fleet of bikes?

Squashed_Fly
25-02-11, 02:36 PM
I'll do it, but I dont want Nelly in my team! ;D

Nelly
25-02-11, 02:40 PM
I'll do it, but I dont want Nelly in my team! ;D

...now why would that be? ;D

wiltshire builders
25-02-11, 03:14 PM
They are looking for competitors to built and race their own rafts from the town bridge to end of monkton park.

How about we enter a mens raft and a ladies raft? Their are strict rules applying to max size of raft etc
I entered a team last year and the rules weren't as strict as we thought. We built our raft using a window mesh and some barrels and managed a respectable 2nd in the mens final. The winners built a boat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZvZbh36uE
My team is at 0:18 and 0:45.
The cheating b@stards are at 0:12 and 1:09.
Luckily i'm not bothered about winning ;D

bubblylittleme
25-02-11, 04:52 PM

I entered a team last year and the rules weren't as strict as we thought. We built our raft using a window mesh and some barrels and managed a respectable 2nd in the mens final. The winners built a boat!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZvZbh36uE
My team is at 0:18 and 0:45.
The cheating b@stards are at 0:12 and 1:09.
Luckily i'm not bothered about winning ;D

Because of those winners the rules are going to be adhered to strictly this year!

Gerry
25-02-11, 05:06 PM
Looks great fun [smiley=thumbup.gif]

August bank holiday is usually busy for me, but if I'm not stabbing in Cornwall count me in ;D

Either way, i can get 25 litre and 200 litre empty drums and pallet wood for the build.
If I'm doing it, I've also got a van and a place to build it in Westbury as long as it doesn't take to long beforehand.

G :)

SupeRDel
25-02-11, 06:36 PM
Used to do the Raft Race in the 8o's when it was a yearly event. One of our chaps went in the water because it was a very hot day.

Ended up having 2 weeks off work when he got an infection in his testicles...They swelled up like rugby balls.. :o

Bloody good fun though... ;D

Make a raft an put a big painted cardboard (waterproof) cut out of a motorbike in the middle

When we did it we had a loch ness monster on ours

R1chie
25-02-11, 07:40 PM
Looks like a laugh.

Who is the token forum crazy scientist type to lead us to victory?

virginie_morisot
27-02-11, 08:58 AM
I'm in :-)

bubblylittleme
27-02-11, 09:36 PM
Looks great fun [smiley=thumbup.gif]

August bank holiday is usually busy for me, but if I'm not stabbing in Cornwall count me in ;D

Either way, i can get 25 litre and 200 litre empty drums and pallet wood for the build.
If I'm doing it, I've also got a van and a place to build it in Westbury as long as it doesn't take to long beforehand.

G :)

that would be great Gerry