PDA

View Full Version : Young Driver Insurance

bobf279
28-02-11, 07:11 PM
Rob has been looking round for car insurance and the prices are horrendous. He has a full restricted bike licence and has passed his IAM. Is there anyway he can get his motorcycling achievements recognised when his car premium is calculated, he passed his car test in October

wiltshire builders
28-02-11, 07:32 PM
Don't get me started on that. I've got full bike and car NCB but not taken into account for car insurance or each other. If I have a claim on either though they're all phucking ears!

silly_simon
28-02-11, 07:56 PM
A great deal depends on the car mate >:(

Have you tried go compare ?

bobf279
28-02-11, 08:08 PM
Price comparison sites for car insurance don't take bike quals into account. We were going to transfer his mum's 1999 ford focus 1.6lx.

I will send him to try a local insurance broker

silly_simon
28-02-11, 08:14 PM
Yup give Advance in Fore st a go, If no good he could try Swintons in roundstone st Trowbridge
Here (http://www.swinton.co.uk/branchfinder/results.php?postcode=ba133xr)

Hazel-nut
28-02-11, 09:13 PM
A great deal depends on the car mate >:(

Have you tried go compare ?

dont use go compare!! the email from them with my quotes gave me a massive virus!

Mark_Able
28-02-11, 09:14 PM
Bob, you'll be lucky to get a half-sensible quote on a car like a Focus 1.6. Like you say, it's horrendous out there. I had someone pass their car test last week, owns a 1.3 MkII Golf, cheapest quote £2800 tpft. I've yet to hear of an insurance company who takes biking qualifications into account. As far as I'm aware, Co-op Insurance are working out cheapest for young drivers, but that's still not cheap... :(

Beamer
28-02-11, 09:19 PM
My son and daughter found adding me and/or their dad as named drivers lowered the quotes......ok both of us have full no claims etc so that prob makes a difference....and also helps as I can borrow their cars if i get stuck or they need a taxi (uses their fuel not mine hehehehehe) ;D ;D

Ducatista
28-02-11, 09:43 PM
1) As others have said pay attention the model of car.

2) Add on someone older as a named driver as this reduces the premium. Female is best. Doesn't matter if they never driver the car. But he must be declared the main driver if he is.

3) Have a look at coverbox, i-kube and insure the box. They install a tracker. Works out well for some young people.

4) Try IAM Surety.

Ducatista
01-03-11, 07:33 AM
5) Also wait for the European decision today on whether insurers are allowed to discriminate against men.

Si
01-03-11, 09:03 AM
Maybe worth talking to his bike insurer? Do they do cars too? Also as Ducatista says wait and see what happens today! I have a feeling though that they will just load Female drivers premiums to bring them in line with Males! >:(

Jon_W
01-03-11, 10:28 AM
5) Also wait for the European decision today on whether insurers are allowed to discriminate against men.

according to the bbc artical, this will mean a 10% drop for men and a 30% rise for women.....

6T
01-03-11, 11:02 AM
probably no help to you now,but i put my daughter onto our secound car policy whilst learning to drive, i was assured by the insurance company she could then take the policy on as the main driver after passing her test having earned no claims bonus. that was 2years ago :o she is taking her test next month :) it does mean i will have to start a new policy myself ::) it is crazy what they charge young drivers

bobf279
01-03-11, 11:25 PM
Looks as though insurers don't really want young drivers. Bit short sighted especially as the young drivers eventually become mature drivers who can pick and choose their insurer

Scotty
01-03-11, 11:34 PM
It's a bizarre ruling, the insurers base their premiums on perceived risk and girls and women don't generally drive like twats. It'd be interesting to see the stats for the numerous multiple fatalities that sadly occur amongst cars full of teenagers, just to see how many of these vehicles were driven by girls - very few I'd expect.

Given the choice of accepting a lift from a teenager, would you feel safer getting in the car with a girl or some pimply eejit with spiky hair who thinks he's the next Lewis Hamilton in his Saxo? Bit of a no-brainer really, and it's sad to see yet another nail in the coffin of common sense... >:(

Chappers
02-03-11, 08:58 AM
It applies to all insurances / risk profiling, so it will benefit women more than men over the course of respective life-times because women live longer. Annuities / life insurance and other linked payments dwarf the vehicle insurance market.

Ducatista
02-03-11, 09:19 AM
I agree with you chappers.
There has been a lot of focus on car insurance, because the apparent unfairness aspect for young people is headline grabbing.
However the pension aspect is massively bigger in comparison.

Car insurance is just a bill.
Your annuity is your income for a significant part of your life.
Now men will have to subsidise longer living women.

Furthermore under current legislation if you have a pension then an annuity is mandatory.
I would argue that a car is more of an option than a pension (which is your income).

I think the media is portraying what sells newspapers and what gets attention, but pensions is definitely the bigger issue here and in health and pensions women are more expensive and it's the men who will lose out.

I personally think it's crazy to ignore gender when we know very well that women live longer than men.
But I do sympathise with lads like Rob of the sensible kind who are tarred with the same brush as the others.

Chappers
02-03-11, 01:24 PM
I agree with you chappers.

That doesn't happen often - post now printed, laminated and framed! ;D ;D