PDA

View Full Version : So where are the petrol price protests???

Mitch9128
02-02-11, 04:16 PM
Petrol @ £1.30 a litre, a little tear runs down my cheek every time i fill up. I just submitted some expenses for a course i did a few weeks back, i used Mrs M's car so i claimed 40p a mile private mileage, but i was claiming 40p 10 years ago, why hasn't HMRC put up the allowance???

Squashed_Fly
02-02-11, 04:33 PM
I have questioned this. FFS, you can claim 20p a mile wear and tear on your pushbike, but I can only claim 24p a mile when I go on the motorbike. So assuming the same level of wear and tear (even though it is actually MUCH higher), that leaves 4p for the fuel. Doesn't come close

igbell
02-02-11, 04:39 PM
thats just silly

Uber Dave
02-02-11, 06:14 PM
Dont get me started on fuel expenses the MOD is about to start raping me on mine!

As for protests, this time its not really the Government increasing it huge amounts in tax, its the cost at the oil coming out the ground. All that protests would do this time round is bring the country to its knees when its only just off the ground economy wise. Sucks but its one of those things.

Think we should get used to it as lets face it, petrol is only going to get more and more till we are all using EV's.

Squashed_Fly
02-02-11, 06:18 PM
Asda Walmart is down to 1.25...

Scaredy_Cat
02-02-11, 06:18 PM
Yep, it now costs me 90 quid a time to fill the Hilux up - that hurts! :'(

Caz
02-02-11, 10:16 PM
Glad I only got a smart car but agree its crazy >:(

Hazel-nut
02-02-11, 11:03 PM
its £1.23 in stoke :P and now and again i get a 2p off every litre at sainsburys or if i spend £50 in teso (which isnt going to happen) i get 5p a litre off

Flying Half-Dutchman
02-02-11, 11:14 PM
It's a rip off

Iceman
03-02-11, 02:10 AM
..did not know petrol was £1.30 a litre.I just fill her up and pay!lol ;D

Jon_W
03-02-11, 08:04 AM
I have questioned this. FFS, you can claim 20p a mile wear and tear on your pushbike, but I can only claim 24p a mile when I go on the motorbike. So assuming the same level of wear and tear (even though it is actually MUCH higher), that leaves 4p for the fuel. Doesn't come close

You're lucky to be able to claim! Don't get nowt back however I travel!!!!!

Best way to protest, get out of the car and on to a motorbike!!!

Squashed_Fly
03-02-11, 01:20 PM

You're lucky to be able to claim! Don't get nowt back however I travel!!!!!

Jon - everyone can claim that. So long as it's not commuting mileage, any business miles are payable back. If your place of work doesn't pay that, then claim the difference direct back from HMRC on a P85 form. It's all online. Just keep your receipts, and mileage forms up to date. If you want a sample mileage form for your records, PM me your email and I'll fire you one over.

I'm always surprised at how few people know what they are entitled to claim back from our government. I work from home, I claim back towards my heating and fuel bills. I have to go direct to HMRC though as my work won't pay that. But they do pay the full 40p/24p a mile though

Here is the link to the HMRC site. If you travel more than 10,000 miles by car, then any after the first 10,000 are only 25p a mile

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

Loops
03-02-11, 06:45 PM

Here here!

Gone from paying £35 a fortnight to get to work, to paying £13 for the same - up yours Fuel Tax! Plus the tax is cheaper too, and traffic isn't an issue 8-)

Mitch9128
03-02-11, 07:10 PM

Here here!

Gone from paying £35 a fortnight to get to work, to paying £13 for the same - up yours Fuel Tax! Plus the tax is cheaper too, and traffic isn't an issue 8-)

Apart from the traffic non-issue, it costs me same/a little bit more on the bike.

Jon_W
04-02-11, 08:11 AM

Here here!

Apart from the traffic non-issue, it costs me same/a little bit more on the bike.

I want your car..... I have a mini and that is a lot more expensive to run per year than the Bike.

My girlfriend and I did the calculations to see if a scoot would save her money, and it came back a nearly £400 per year including tax, insurance, mot and a guesstimate on other costs of running a bike.

Her bike will pay for itself in 2 years. The whole thing (kit and CBT's) in four.

Ducatista
04-02-11, 09:23 PM
If your place of work doesn't pay that, then claim the difference direct back from HMRC on a P85 form

You do not get the difference back.
You get tax relief on difference.
This means the amount you'll actually receive will either be 20% or 40% of the Mileage Allowance Relief (MAR) depending on your tax rate.

Nooj
04-02-11, 10:00 PM
I haven't owned my van a year yet and already it costs me a tenner more to fill it up than when I bought it! Fuel tax is crippling small businesses.

Kevinb
07-02-11, 08:57 AM
My Pajero has a 92 Litre tank and does 20 to the gallon :o This is just silly at the moment. Tesco's in Trowbridge is 133.9 pence per litre

Jon_W
07-02-11, 09:10 AM
Am looking at a new car... seriously having to consider petrol prices, as this is set to get worse.

BladeTriple
07-02-11, 09:42 AM
Thank we both drive a diesel.... 400+ miles to 40 litres, better fuel economy than we get on the bikes!

redken1
08-02-11, 08:26 PM
Let's get em started. Old New Labour buckled under pressure from the last fuel protests. >:(

Jon_W
10-02-11, 02:07 PM
Let's get em started. Old New Labour buckled under pressure from the last fuel protests. >:(

Alas, the Tories are in power now.... with Most of the cabinet millionairs, do you think they give a sh1t for the pesents??

Ducatista
10-02-11, 03:02 PM
I don't think Labour did a great deal for the working man to be honest (in their last term).

Mitch9128
10-02-11, 03:17 PM
The best education just for the rich again, child benefit stopped unfairly, tax brackets dropped to catch a few more in higher rate, vat 20%, petrol £1.30+ at the pumps, thousands of police cut, thousands of council jobs cut, services cut left right and centre, funding stopped for thousands of projects, armed services shat on...i could go on, all in 6 months. ConDem are turning back the clocks to the 70's.

Ducatista
10-02-11, 05:43 PM
The best education just for the rich again, child benefit stopped unfairly, tax brackets dropped to catch a few more in higher rate, vat 20%, petrol £1.30+ at the pumps, thousands of police cut, thousands of council jobs cut, services cut left right and centre, funding stopped for thousands of projects, armed services shat on...i could go on, all in 6 months. ConDem are turning back the clocks to the 70's.

I think it's the last labour government that made the mess, by not regulating the banking industry properly.
Of course it's going to be difficult sorting it out, but at least they are doing something about it and not letting our now massive debts get ever bigger. I agree wiht you on one thing though, it's a nightmare and going to get worse in 2011.

Mitch9128
10-02-11, 05:57 PM
Thing is, the Tories are even less likely to reign in the fat cat bankers, not with 18 millionaires in the cabinet for sure. I do also agree with you that this recession was caused by the bankers, what is also clear is they are not paying for it. Billions paid in bonuses this week, whilst we all suffer at the hands of the tories, this wasn't wholly caused by Brown, but how easy is it for them to blame him, and we accept it blaming nu labour, and accepting classic tory policies of slash and burn.

redken1
10-02-11, 06:57 PM
I am not going to become embroiled in a Labour/Tory blame-game. Suffice to say, that in my view, both parties are champions and protectors of global free market capitalism. History shows us that cycles of ‘Boom and Bust’ have always prevailed, irrespective of which party is at the helm.

I believe The ‘Iron Lady’ may be getting a bit rusty, but Thatcherism lives on under Cameron and his cohorts.

No one can predict how long the current recession will last, or how deep the cuts will go. But one thing I am certain about: Now that the orgy of profiteering has turned sour, it’s not the profiteers who caused the current crisis who are paying the price for this crisis. Check out the Banker’s bonuses as one case in point.

Chappers
14-02-11, 06:11 PM

Alas, the Tories are in power now.... with Most of the cabinet millionairs, do you think they give a sh1t for the presents??

even millionaires like presents! :D

Scotty
14-02-11, 06:32 PM
Do Cameron and his Tribe of Toffs give a stuff about us? Only if fat-cat Tories can make any money out of us are we worthy of any of their attention... >:( They still rigidly abide by the cult of Thatcherism, making money out of money, not from making things to sell, hence our manufacturing industry is a shadow of its former self and they'll never penalise the banks for screwing the world economy good and proper, and what message does it give the banks? Carry on regardless, you can't be allowed to fail... cnuts >:(

Big Society - what a load of bollocks, just an excuse to avoid blame and responsibility, but he's somewhat shot his initiative in the foot by cutting the money that it would need to have a hope of success... ::)::) ::)

Chappers
14-02-11, 06:44 PM
and 13 years of labour spending way beyond the country's means produced ...

until the country votes for politicians who make the people live off what they earn rather than what they can borrow nothing will change. politicians know that won't win them votes so the grand ponzi continues and we kick the can down the road for another few years.

one big ponzi.

Chappers
14-02-11, 06:51 PM
and what message does it give the banks? Carry on regardless, you can't be allowed to fail... cnuts >:(

The law of unintended consequences.

The big banks are too big to fail, so they are propped up with billions of Treasury equity and ZIRP loans; the accounting rules are changed so that their bad assets are no longer marked to market - the 'toxic assets' are now treated as assets on their balance sheets rather than the liabilities they really are; they are forced to merge together so capitalism fails utterly.

The results are insolvent banks that are now even bigger to fail than the previous banks that were too big to fail.

Thanks Gordon. Glad you managed to save the world, sorry, banks!

Should have let them fail. Like failed businesses in all other walks of life do.

redken1
14-02-11, 06:51 PM
Scotty, I agree with you 100 per cent. In the ferocious new world of hi-tech, turbocharged, capitalism, the political and business elite has decided there is no longer any room for sentimental notions such as social justice or wealth redistribution.

BladeTriple
18-02-11, 07:53 AM
I did hear on the radio this morning while travelling in that the cost of fuel has dropped by 4.something % in mainland europe in Jan / Feb yet (GREEDY) British retailers actually increased the cost of fuel most likely using the VAT hike to mask it and blame it on the government so its not all down to the tax man >:( (just most of it !)

Mitch9128
18-02-11, 09:49 AM
I did hear on the radio this morning while travelling in that the cost of fuel has dropped by 4.something % in mainland europe in Jan / Feb yet (GREEDY) British retailers actually increased the cost of fuel most likely using the VAT hike to mask it and blame it on the government so its not all down to the tax man >:( (just most of it !)

Have you ever been posted to Bulford? The slip road to the a303 from the Bulford road used to be littered with empty jerry cans on the first day of block leave, everyone would nick a can here or there from the POL cage until they had enough for a tank or 2. That was when it was £1 a gallon! Also one time in Soest, they audited the POL pumps, 30 odd thousand litres of fuel missing in a year...oops!

Chappers
18-02-11, 10:59 AM

Wholesale prices on the mainland prices have always been lower than UK. The main difference being the cost to transport from Scandanavia and former USSR along overground pipes to Euro countries versus piping to us on an outlying island or shipping to us from the middle east.

Seeing as all other commodities have also soared on this free money inflation rally, it's interesting to see how people focus on fuel. Food and clothing don't seem so important somehow :o

http://rt0.e.prorealtime.com/ProRealTimeNew/tmp/img_12980263647101.gif
http://rt0.e.prorealtime.com/ProRealTimeNew/tmp/img_12980263910310.gif

That's a 3-fold increase in cotton since August.

When will the denim protests begin I wonder ;)

jonnydangerous
18-02-11, 11:40 AM
food and clothing will NEVER be as important as putting fuel in my bike :-) ;-)

BladeTriple
18-02-11, 02:20 PM

Have you ever been posted to Bulford? The slip road to the a303 from the Bulford road used to be littered with empty jerry cans on the first day of block leave, everyone would nick a can here or there from the POL cage until they had enough for a tank or 2. That was when it was £1 a gallon! Also one time in Soest, they audited the POL pumps, 30 odd thousand litres of fuel missing in a year...oops!

Never suffered Tid'n'Bul Mitch, I remember the days of Germany tho, even those who didn't pinch the fuel pinched the jerry cans to fill up an extra 40 litres of tax free fuel with their coupons from Nettetal or Wankum on the way out of Deutschland then just before you hit Calais there would be a similar layby littered with empty british jerry cans too ;D

redken1
18-02-11, 05:15 PM

Wholesale prices on the mainland prices have always been lower than UK. The main difference being the cost to transport from Scandanavia and former USSR along overground pipes to Euro countries versus piping to us on an outlying island or shipping to us from the middle east.

Seeing as all other commodities have also soared on this free money inflation rally, it's interesting to see how people focus on fuel. Food and clothing don't seem so important somehow :o

http://rt0.e.prorealtime.com/ProRealTimeNew/tmp/img_12980263647101.gif
http://rt0.e.prorealtime.com/ProRealTimeNew/tmp/img_12980263910310.gif

That's a 3-fold increase in cotton since August.

When will the denim protests begin I wonder ;)

Increases in the price of fuel is probably the biggest contributing factor to a rise in inflation. Transportation costs of goods etc.

Was fuel cheaper in the UK than mainland Europe throughout the decades when we had our own supply from the North sea?

Chappers
19-02-11, 12:00 AM
Increases in the price of fuel is probably the biggest contributing factor to a rise in inflation. Transportation costs of goods etc.

I agree. 99.9% of the world agrees. Unfortunately the Bernanke and Benny Hill / Mervyn King disagree and think the price of plasma TVs is more important. If they go down there is no inflation apparently.

Was fuel cheaper in the UK than mainland Europe throughout the decades when we had our own supply from the North sea?

North sea oil was by far the most expensive to extract at the time so yes, I would suspect it was still more expensive than that more easily obtainable on the continent. Regardless, the amount of oil used in the UK derived from the North Sea never exceeded something like 40% in any one year - we still had to import.

Nooj
22-02-11, 11:04 PM
It's only recently our petrol prices have over taken France and Spain. For the last couple of years ours has been cheeper.

Going out especially and food generally is cheaper over here, a bottle of beer in a Pairs cafe a couple of weeks ago? 7 Euros!

The price of a chicken from a market in the South of France a couple of years ago worked out to be £11!!!!

VAT in France has been at 20% for years.

On the whole it probably works out about the same to live until you factor in the price of housing over here.

redken1
02-03-11, 08:03 PM
Diesel went up to £1.39 per litre at Beckington services today. :'(

Mark_Able
02-03-11, 08:34 PM
May I suggest a boycott of all rip-off petrol stations, i.e. Beckington, West Ashton Road Trow, Yarnbrook, Granada Services Warminster.

Cheapest I've found is Esso Warminster town centre. And a couple of Esso/Tesco stations in Bristol (bit far to go). It's generally cheaper in Chippenham as well.

Maybe there should be a thread of cheap stations, and another for rip-off merchants? ::)

Mitch9128
02-03-11, 08:44 PM
Morrisons Chippenham is £127.9(tonight it was anyway), all others are at least a penny more a litre.

Squashed_Fly
02-03-11, 09:05 PM
jerry cans to fill up an extra 40 litres of tax free fuel with their coupons from Nettetal or Wankum on the way out of Deutschland

*Laughs childishly* ;D ;D ;D

Thorkill_The_Tall
03-03-11, 12:15 AM
For your delectation:

http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2011/february2011.pdf

Make sure to scroll down for the international comparisons.
Also, make a mental note of which of the countries shown have no oil of their own and how much cheaper than petrol many of the diesel prices are.

Mitch9128
03-03-11, 07:51 AM
As Borat said 'USA i support your war of terror', shocking how little they pay for fuel compared to the rest of the world.

Ducatista
03-03-11, 09:01 AM
I am suprised there is not more public anger generally.

Lots of innocent people are going to loose their jobs because of risks taken by the banks and the governments failure to regulate them.

The younger generations are having HUGE financial burdens put upon them. The cost of the bank bailout pails into insignificant compared with the state pensions and public sector pensions that we owe in future but have not saved for.
The demographic timebomb is hardly a surpise.

I am suprised it's all been quiet so far, but we all face big changes to our standards of living and I'm not sure realisation has dawned yet.

Mitch9128
03-03-11, 09:07 AM
Apathy, a malaise that affects the British more than any other nation, like i said before if we were French we would be burning sheep.

redken1
05-03-11, 06:32 PM
I don't really understand it, but I was listening to the radio today and according to this so called expert, fueel could rise to £2 per litre if the troubles in Libya continues. If it reaches this predicted level I will have to sell the van and look at a career change. Summit that I can get about on a Honda C90 or the like. :'(

Nooj
06-03-11, 01:29 AM
You could always run your van (assuming it's diesel) on veg oil. Some fuel pumps don't like it (Lucas?), but most are OK. You'll need to change the oil twice as often due to the water in veg oil, but it should save you a few quid, even running half veg and half diesel would save a bit with veg oil being between £0.98 - £1.30 a litre for shops' own brand. Depending on where I go, diesel is now between 135.9 and 142.9 in Newbury!

Obviously you'd have to declare that you were using biofuel to the robbing ass-munchers at HMRC and pay the relevent duty/protection money every month ;)

redken1
06-03-11, 04:37 PM
Cheers Nooj will give it some serious thought [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mitch9128
06-03-11, 04:59 PM
Pah, get an outfit, you know you want to.

G4PCI
06-03-11, 05:59 PM
Nooj
re veg oil belive the same rules as bio there no tax to pay

If you produce less than 2500 litres per annum for personal use you will not need to register with HMRC and will not be liable to pay duty. (As a guide, 2,500 litres is enough to run two average family cars for a year.)

If you produce above that limit, you have to register with Customs and Excise and pay 32.35 pence to them for each litre of fuel you produce. (This is a 20 pence derogation from the fossil diesel duty). Guidance on eligibility and conditions can be found within HMRC Notice 179E - latest revision March 2008). We strongly recommend that you keep appropriate records and do not attempt to bypass this regulation in any way. Further details and specific advice regarding your situation can be found on the HMRC website

George

Dabz
06-03-11, 06:30 PM
If we'd invested in alternatively fuels and energy sources 15 years ago when it was first raised then we wouldn't be so reliant on oil still

Uber Dave
06-03-11, 07:27 PM
If we'd invested in alternatively fuels and energy sources 15 years ago when it was first raised then we wouldn't be so reliant on oil still

I am of the opinion though that we did do, well at least the oil companies did and are now keeping hold of it or waiting for the oil revenue to drop off before allowing us it.

With the exception of batteries which are limited with current technology in terms of charge times (although carbon nano-tubes should solve that if some of the stuff I have read is to be believed) but to think that fuel cells or hydrogen has not been developed within an in inch of known physics is just silly.

These companies know full well that eventually it will cost more to extract oil than it is worth, they wont allow themselves to go under, they MUST have something under wraps to carry on robbing us of money.

Chappers
07-03-11, 01:40 PM
The US and Canada have the largest gas and oil supplies in the world. At the moment it is economic for them to buy the oil from the middle east and South America at these relatively low prices. Once that starts to run dry and it becomes economically unviable to continue importing we will probably find that the US is the only place with any oil left in 20 years or so.

Something to think about...

Being the eternal optimist, I prefer to look at millenia of human ingenuity. Something will eventually take oil's place. It's just too cheap and plentiful at the moment to change it from being a 'desire' to an economic 'necessity'.

redken1
07-03-11, 08:47 PM
The US and Canada have the largest gas and oil supplies in the world. At the moment it is economic for them to buy the oil from the middle east and South America at these relatively low prices. Once that starts to run dry and it becomes economically unviable to continue importing we will probably find that the US is the only place with any oil left in 20 years or so.

Something to think about...

Being the eternal optimist, I prefer to look at millenia of human ingenuity. Something will eventually take oil's place. It's just too cheap and plentiful at the moment to change it from being a 'desire' to an economic 'necessity'.

I know I sound like a 'broken record' (cd nowadays) but that is what capitalism is all about - profit before people.

Harry87
08-03-11, 09:10 PM
Nuke the world, and let nature start again.

redken1
08-03-11, 09:17 PM
Nuke the world, and let nature start again.

Not so sure about the nuke bit, but thumbs up for nature without capitalism. :D

Nooj
09-03-11, 07:36 PM
Right! Everybody back into the trees! ;D

tommyjgraham
09-03-11, 08:22 PM
£23 to fill up the tank now!!!

redken1
09-03-11, 08:25 PM
Tom, on my way to work today, Beckington services were charging £1.42 per litre for diesel. >:(

Scaredy_Cat
09-03-11, 08:28 PM
Warminster services is 142.9p for diesel. How do they still get business when both Morrison's and the Esso garage in Warminster are 10p per litre cheaper? :o

tommyjgraham
09-03-11, 08:32 PM
Living in west swindon asda is closest for me. I also noticed it is nearly always at least 3 pence cheaper than the competitors. But still costs 23pound a tank there. Dont wish to take it anywhere more costly.

Col
12-03-11, 10:14 AM
Wasn't there a fuel place in Marlborough that charged the highest price like 5-10p more than others........or did it close??

Honda_Star
12-03-11, 12:59 PM
Yes it's still open & still costs a fortune

Nooj
13-03-11, 01:13 AM
Found one of my first posts on here again the other day, not sure how long I've been on here, a few months?? But since I joined the cost of a tankful has gone up £4!!!

NiteW4tcher
13-03-11, 09:19 PM
yesterday i filled up the gixxer from nearly empty £18 @ 1.34 it did 140miles before i had to stick £5 to get home

according to a website thats 45mpg.......seems very high considering i wasnt hanging about most of the time ;D

ok another site puts my average mpg @ 47mpg

price fuel = 134.9
amount = £18
miles = 140

mpg = 47.7