PDA

View Full Version : What a Start to the New Year

bobf279
08-01-11, 10:48 PM
My Zafira 2.0 DTi had been misbehaving in the cold but I finally got it to start on 1st Jan. Took it for a run to warm it through and get some charge back in the battery and sods law after 25 miles started to kangaroo at low speed. Finally just stopped dead and would not restart. :(

Recovered to local garage and diagnosis is fuel injection pump failure, big bucks to replace, couple of grand possibly :'(, so now I have to decide if I scrap my 53 plate car and look for something else or fork out for the repair.

Hope this isn't indicative of how the rest of the year is going to be.

Robf
08-01-11, 11:43 PM
hopefully not, maybe your just getting rid of all the crap at the start

R1chie
09-01-11, 12:46 AM
Nightmare. Maybe it's as Rob says, get this squared and you're home free for the rest of the year.

dell_boy
09-01-11, 04:24 PM
im no expert,..but i had a pump go on a van a few years ago,..shop around,,im sure they do refurbed pumps at a fraction of the cost

also theres a scrap yard web site,..where you enter what you want,..and you get emails from all over the country,..then take the best offer

good luck

R6_Don
09-01-11, 08:16 PM
Well if you decide that you want to get rid of it let me know a price and i will come and have a look. Could do with a bigger car for the Mrs and know a few mechanics that will do the job for me.

Cheers Don

bobf279
09-01-11, 10:25 PM
I'll bear you in mind if that ends up my solution.

Davey
10-01-11, 09:27 AM
Bob - I know quite a few Vauxhall techs who do work on the side - if you decide to keep it let me know and I can give you thier number to see wht they can do it for

Jon_W
10-01-11, 01:52 PM
Know the feeling, The crank sensor on my car went just before christmas due to the cold. IS a real bugger.

There is a Vauxhall specalist in Great Somerford. He may be able to help you for a lot less than a main dealer.

jonnydangerous
10-01-11, 02:23 PM
one reason it may be so costly is that the Pump may be linked to the main ECU, the pump may need the same code to pass fuel and wont start if you replace the pump from another car, it could also need the ECU from the donor car, also the keys may also be needed to talk to the ECU....
it may be a complex involved job if you have a coded pump....altho someone may know of a way round this, and be able to reprogramme the pump, or put your module on the new pump may be possible....

pumps can be overhauled, but some of the cost will also be to put a new cambelt and tensioners on at the same time...

shi**y start to the year bob :-(

bobf279
10-01-11, 11:35 PM
Bob - I know quite a few Vauxhall techs who do work on the side - if you decide to keep it let me know and I can give you thier number to see wht they can do it for

Thanks Stu I'll bear that in mind, just waiting for my local garage to come back to me.

bobf279
15-01-11, 03:34 PM
Garage has sourced a second hand pump but no news yet

bobf279
07-04-11, 11:05 PM
The car will finally be coming home tomorrow after more than 3 months as my local garage can't get it to run with a secondhand pump fitted and pump ecu swapped for the original they think it is a coding issue.

They even had it in with platinum vauxhall who couldn't sort it. Any ideas before I call the scrap man?