PDA

View Full Version : Loose Nuts - A Cautionary tale

Cemorah
30-05-09, 09:38 PM
I have just put a 1000 miles on my bike since returning it to the road in April. Having planned a lazy saturday I thought I would clean her and do a nut check you know that spannery thing on all the important bolts. Well I am just getting over the shock of seeing the Dogbone bolt hanging half out. On my bike this is the one that secures the brake tie bar. Another 5 miles it would have been out then the first use of the rear brake would probably have resulted in a locked back wheel and all kinds of nasties. Since the age of 13 I've always done my own maintenance and consider myself pretty competent, I have rebuilt this bike from the frame up and you could say I know every nut and bolt but familiarity breeds contempt they say. We can all make mistakes and/or things can work loose from vibration without us knowing. Please take a few minutes before each ride just to be sure. As Steve Lyneham said when I bought the replacement £0.50p nut

"That fairy was smiling on me today" - stay safe all.

Chrissie
31-05-09, 07:13 PM
That is a scary tale, even more so for me cos i hardly know me bolts from me screws, but I'll be checking for anything loose in the future.
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
01-06-09, 10:45 AM
If you do change any nuts or bolts dab a bit of Loctite onto them and then they will stay fast.

Blackandchrome
01-06-09, 12:48 PM
I shall check my nuts tonight.
Not sure I wanna dab any Loctite on em though! [smiley=happy.gif]

igbell
01-06-09, 12:52 PM
now now Tractordriver......

crewy
01-06-09, 07:07 PM
Nuts and loctite, well this sounds like a bit of a strange evening in? :) ;D