PDA

View Full Version : Emergency stop for real!!

Iceman
29-05-09, 12:48 PM
Well I had a chance to practice my emergency stop for real the other day. I was using good practice by maintaining a safe gap and riding slightly wide(as taught to me on a Bike Safe course" between me and the vehicle in front who was tailgating another vehicle.Suddenly the first car literally slammed his brakes on to turn right into a drive way with no prior warning(probably to p*ss off the tailgating driver)The following tailgater then went into a side skid in an effort to avoid crashing into the vehicle.Of course I immediately went into the hardest braking I've ever done to the point the bike was standing on its' front wheel and squealing.I was convinced I was going to rear shunt the car despite the fierce braking and safety gap.At the last second I manouvered to the right of the vehicle stopping about a foot past his bumper despite the extreme load on the front. Phew!!! When I thought about this I realised how important it is to "1 " maintain a safe stopping gap, "2" ride nearer the centre of the road (except on right handers of course) to take advantage of the manouvering capabilities that a motorcycle has over a car. "3" proper control under extreme braking from all speeds and not always on a level plane! When I see the swerve manouver at 31mph introduced into the new bike test I can see the purpose of it and like "Onfire" has said before If one cannot manage that then what chance at higher speeds and especially in uncontrolled environements! Safe riding everyone!

schwee
29-05-09, 01:16 PM
Well done Iceman I bet you had to change your pants after that!

A good tip is to always ride defensively as if everyone else is out to get you. NEVER ever ride too closely to anything, even your mates on bikes who have been riding for years and years...if they go down in front of you, likelihood is you will follow or run them over and potentially kill them.

Even riding too close to the centre line isn't always a good idea, especially on right hand bends when vehicles are coming at you from the other direction - you can easily have your head taken off by a wing mirror...

Stay safe!

crewy
29-05-09, 07:04 PM
Well done Iceman, glad to hear you and the bike are safe and sound. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

6T
29-05-09, 08:27 PM
glad you managed to avoid any contact with the car iceman does spook you a bit when these happen [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ONFIRE
29-05-09, 09:48 PM
Well I had a chance to practice my emergency stop for real the other day. I was using good practice by maintaining a safe gap and riding wide between me and the vehicle in front who was tailgating another vehicle.Suddenly the first car literally slammed his brakes on to turn right into a drive way with no prior warning(probably to p*ss off the tailgating driver)The following tailgater then went into a side skid in an effort to avoid crashing into the vehicle.Of course I immediately went into the hardest braking I've ever done to the point the bike was standing on its' front wheel and squealing.I was convinced I was going to rear shunt the car despite the fierce braking and safety gap.At the last second I manouvered to the right of the vehicle stopping about a foot past his bumper despite the extreme load on the front. Phew!!! When I thought about this I realised how important it is to "1 " maintain a safe stopping gap, "2" ride wide near the centre of the road to take advantage of the manouvering capabilities that a motorcycle has over a car. "3" proper control under extreme braking from all speeds and not always on a level plane! When I see the swerve manouver at 32mph introduced into the new bike test I can see the purpose of it and like "Onfire" has said before If one cannot manage that then what chance at higher speeds and especially in uncontrolled environements! Safe riding everyone!

Well done Iceman you kept your cool... really glad to see you had full control of the situation. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Everyone ...Practice practice your breaking! ... recommend a few TD's you'll be surprised how hard one can brake!

Ducatista
30-05-09, 11:50 AM
Even riding too close to the centre line isn't always a good idea, especially on right hand bends when vehicles are coming at you from the other direction - you can easily have your head taken off by a wing mirror...
Stay safe!

Well done Iceman.
I had a "near miss" not that long ago, when a car at a junction pulled out.
I did something similar to you in that it was hard braking followed by a swerve and like you it worked out for me.
It's really important not to panic or give up and the track days can be really helpful in knowing what you can do on your bike with respect to both leaning and braking.

Just to pick up on the positioning point though.
Both IAM and ROSPA would tell you to be over to the LHS of the road on a right hand bend both for safety and early view.
There are always situations where you have to use your judgment and move off the ideal line e.g. pedestrians, cars at junctions, gravel, poor road surface, bad camber, possible ice under trees etc., but the advice they give is to posistion over to the LHS on a right hand bend and over to the RHS on a left hander.
Being over to the right can put you at conflict with oncoming traffic, but remember you have have the early view.
Whislt moving over mid bend is daunting to learners it's becomes second nature if you practice.

I'm perfecting my posistioning with a ROSPA tutor at the moment.
I paid £25 to join the local group and I pay £10 per ride for my observers petrol. On Thursday we were out for about 2.5 hours with about 1.5 hours riding and the rest talking about it.
My riding has improved loads and the value for money is amazing.

Iceman
30-05-09, 12:08 PM
....regards " Ducatista & Schwee" comments on positioning I attendend "Bike Safe" and follow their lines on negotiating bends as you just stated! On straights and in slow Town traffic I ride to the right of the centre of my lane allowing me the widest margin for manouvering either left or right,again as shown to me on "Bike safe". On right handers I stay close to the kerb and on lefties ride wide near the centre line! I recommend "Bike Safe" courses to anyone who has not attended one yet and definately to beginners! Safe riding!
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Steve-VFR
30-05-09, 05:05 PM
Congrats mate! Glad you and your bike are all good! I think I'm like most bikers, if the traffic is building up and getting a bit too close, I prefer to have that extra bit of security by giving my self at least a 2-3 second gap (even in the dry) in the wet I steer WELL clear of ANY vehicle just incase, I'd rather arrive late and in one piece than not arrive at all and be in little pieces!

I'm happy for you mate stay safe everyone!

Ryan
30-05-09, 08:09 PM
nice one iceman, glad your okay!

gravelrash
02-06-09, 09:01 PM
Careful on left handers too. Was out last weekend with some sensible friends, took a left hander at under 40mph, good position in road. Caravan being towedtowards us came onto the white line, bucked right into the path of the lead bike. took out his brake lever, mirror and put the once mint bike on its left side in the road. :-/
The guy didn't stop, spose he didn't even feel it. Turns out there was a brick in the road that the caravan clipped.

Ade