PDA

View Full Version : Newish Bikers on here ?

Gerry
27-06-09, 10:39 AM
Passed my DAS about three months ago, but only got riding about a month ago so still very new.
I did ride for a few years - about 35 years ago :o

Still getting used to the bike (covered about 300 miles only) but just starting to get the feel for it.
Was encouraged to "countersteer" by my instructors so still getting used to turning the "wrong way" !

Trying to be very sensible, but I'm used to very fast cars so it's not easy letting stuff go - second ride out an old Aston Martin clearly wanted to play, but I was good and let him go :'(

Looking forward to my first Ride Out, but again, not in a hurry as I'm sure I would be playing "catch-up" and that sounds like a quick way to have an off.

Anybody else discovering (or re-discovering) the joys of biking ?

PS... Lovin it ;D

jack930
27-06-09, 01:22 PM
you should get yaself along with us,and go to the sally ona thurs night ..

Kevinb
27-06-09, 08:57 PM
I got back into it about 5 years a go, but know what you mean.
I hadn't ridden since about 1989 when I had a Suzuki DR750.
I was looking at a car and my wife said why not buy a bike so I got a 1200 Trophy to get back into it. Did a bike safe course in Devizes, which was very good.
Had a Hinkley Bonnie, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX and now the MT-01.
Take it very easy and enjoy. If it rains take your bike out and get used to it as you don't want your first wet experience to be 60 miles from home.
Cheers Kev

Iceman
27-06-09, 09:17 PM
Hi Gatso, got back into bikes a little over a year ago after a 28 year break( for the kids to grow up,etc etc lol). Loving every minute of it. I agree about the rideouts as they can be quite quick up front with lots of over taking but don't feel you have to compete as a few ride slower and catch up later. I'm one of the slower riders myself but have enjoyed some of the rideouts even though I tend to trail behind (but I am a cautious rider)!lol safe riding. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

lurkalot
27-06-09, 10:44 PM
Well there's me, but you knew that ;D

Did my test on 1st April after training with Phoenix (Leigh C is on this forum). Never been on a bike before my CBT in March.

I'm now riding a GPZ 500S and I guess done about 800 miles or so, mainly commuting. I've not done a rideout yet either - a combination of time and fear of being the slow one at the back I guess!

I've also just started doing my IAM training. One ride so far but it has made a massive difference already. Couldn't recommend it enough.

Gerry
28-06-09, 09:44 PM
Thanx Jack, I will sometime I promise, but I do fear that you brave souls will be overtaking rows of cars , and I think I should get another few hundred miles on mine before I tag along.

I'm quite happy to give it some beans, but told myself I have to take it extra easy due to my extreme age and my tendency to think I'm better (younger) than I am ;)

Cat_Macd
28-06-09, 11:13 PM
hiya

i'm the opposite of a born again biker, a newborn biker. i started just over a year ago after years as a pillion. i'm not big enough yet to play with the other bikes being a 125cc but some of the guys here went on a trip to breacon and kindly slowed up a bit to allow me to ride with them. was great fun. i' m loving my new found freedom it's a lot better than public transport and i would and do recommend it to everyone! :)

ro
29-06-09, 01:40 PM
Well, I'm new too and having a great time. I'm still learning, having bought my 125 in April so I could get in lots of practice without the stress of an intensive course. I think that's worked out pretty well so far as it's been so much fun.

I did the Weston ride-out after just over a month since starting riding (having done about 750 miles) and it was very good - I learned a lot seeing what other people do, and gained a lot of confidence doing stuff I probably wouldn't have dared by myself then, like riding through the busy traffic in Bath.

Since I've been riding, I've had hardly a day at home - there's always something going on somewhere near (or sometimes not so near) to provide an excuse for a ride!

KP
29-06-09, 06:49 PM
you gotta start somewhere mate, as jack said pop over to the sally with us lot one nite, and also join in on a ride out, providing its not a long one i guess, as said above some go quick ::) but lots of others go along nice and steady [smiley=thumbsup.gif] i sometimes do the back marking so go at a steady pace, its what suits you mate really, but dont feel you have to miss out!!! :)

jonnydangerous
30-06-09, 08:28 AM
Ro's did well on the Weston Ride out, and didnt hold anyone up at all, 125cc was plenty. theres no rule on how fast you have to go, and sometimes a relaxed pace is nice.

why not organise a small/newbie/bornagain rideout to break the ice?.......

BB
30-06-09, 09:15 PM

It's a good idea. We did one to Poole one Sunday a long time ago, I think everyone who went on it enjoyed it. At the time quite a few people had never done a group ride out and wanted to do one without the fear of being left behind.

BB

Iceman
01-07-09, 08:28 AM
[

..that's a good Idea indeed.I'll need to see If I can come up with something. A nice "not too far ride" with minimum overtaking! Lets see a show of hands then on who would be interested in a slow ride? :)

ro
01-07-09, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

[...A nice "not too far ride" with minimum overtaking! Lets see a show of hands then on who would be interested in a slow ride? :)

I'll be there.

Sue_Boyce
01-07-09, 10:17 PM
I would be there too!!!

Ducatista
02-07-09, 09:18 AM
What about Sammy Millers or if that's too far then the Haynes motor museum at Sparkford.

Iceman
02-07-09, 11:43 AM
....always a subjective matter on where to go there "Ducatista". Maybe the interested riders will post their Ideal rideout and post on here" a poll" ! Either way as most of the " slower" riders I know live in and around Swindon then I would most likely head off from George Whites, probably a Saturday. Any views welcomed! 8-)

Ducatista
02-07-09, 11:59 AM
ok, well I'd like to try back marker sometime and I'm a rugby widow on some Saturdays, so let me know if you need me :)

Roxy
02-07-09, 12:56 PM
Thanx Jack, I will sometime I promise, but I do fear that you brave souls will be overtaking rows of cars , and I think I should get another few hundred miles on mine before I tag along.

I'm quite happy to give it some beans, but told myself I have to take it extra easy due to my extreme age and my tendency to think I'm better (younger) than I am ;)

I am always happy to go for a 'potter'. Based in Bath so not too far from you and as much as riding with the quick boys (you know who you are!! ;) ) is fun, it can be a bit daunting if you are a newbie. I only passed my test end of Feb so not been riding for long but have clocked up about 2500 miles already. It does get easier so the best thing to do is get out and ride whenever you can, I found it really helps when you are still trying to get to grips with it all.

Do as many ride outs as you can, they are a great bunch.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

lurkalot
02-07-09, 02:03 PM
..that's a good Idea indeed.I'll need to see If I can come up with something. A nice "not too far ride" with minimum overtaking! Lets see a show of hands then on who would be interested in a slow ride? :)

I could well be up for this - provided it is not a rugby day ;-)

Iceman
03-07-09, 10:51 AM
..we'll move this post to "Rideouts" If we get enough interest! ;)

Gerry
03-07-09, 05:33 PM
I'm interested... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Depends on dates as summer weekends are very busy.
May be able to drag along Basher (Trowbridge) on his new BMW :)

Cheers
G

Cat_Macd
03-07-09, 11:45 PM
depending on the day, i could be up for this...

don't often get the chance to ride out with others

ro
05-07-09, 02:38 PM
I was going to suggest Sammy Miller's (http://museum.sammymiller.co.uk/) as a destination, but it's pretty close to the south coast, perhaps a bit too far for this purpose.

A bit closer (perhaps too close for some) there's Stourhead (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-stourhead) near Warminster. There's a good National Trust tea shop at the visitors' centre (which has some coned-off bike parking under some trees), or a pub in the nearby village. The house and gardens are spectacular too, but there's an entry fee for those unless you're a NT member.

Or if people aren't keen on actually doing anything at a specific destination, we could do the usual Wiltshire-tourist thing of just general wanderings around looking at white horses. I tried out the Divine Café (http://www.divinecafe.biz/) in Cherhill recently (it was very good); that could be a gathering point for Southerners, or a mid-ride stop .

As for the date, I don't think there's anything organised for the "official' WB July ride-out next Sunday 12th, so perhaps this could be it.

Chrissie
05-07-09, 05:53 PM
If I'm fit by then I'd love to join, I need all the practice I can get, there is a motorcycle stunt day down at Haynes, Sparkkford later in the year can't remember when but that's not too far, don't know the way tho. ;D

jack930
05-07-09, 09:29 PM

As stated on this thred some go fast some go slow,but we all end up at the place in a group,

You tend to find the faster riders will shoot off ,then pull over and wait for the slower ones to cach back up,

So for new riders that are unshore of joing a ride out,thier is no pressure for you thinking you have to keep up or ride past your limit .. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

That said you still can tag along with us this thurs, if you wona ;)

If you ever fancy a ride at night during the week,just give us a shout, im allways up for a ride

Gerry
05-07-09, 10:45 PM
Thanks again mate...
I'm in Jersey from Thursday to Sunday (getting stabbed) so will miss this weeks.
I'm a fencer and train Tues (Poole meet night) and Thursday (Sally meet night) :( but I can give one a miss and may go Thursday week.

Funny, took the bike out this evening for an hour to find that Basher called round ten minutes after I had left with his new BMW - pity cos it would have been nice to have a look at it and a mini ride-out !

Ducatista
06-07-09, 08:20 AM
The route I did down to Compton Abbas yesterday would actually be quite suitble.
The roads would be suitable but interesting and it's a nice destination for lunch.
It was about 45 miles from Chippenham (one way).
Obviously it's longer from Swindon, but shorter for people joining at Melksham/Warminster.

I like the Divine cafe too.
It's nice there and there is plenty of parking.
I've been there a few times and the ownders are friendly towards bikers.