PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof gloves

Roxy
04-08-09, 09:49 AM
Having tested my new Waterproof Suit on the recent WB trip down to Cornwall and being impressed by the lack of water that got through, I would now like to see if I can get some waterproof gloves as this was the only part of me that got wet!

Can anyone recommend a good make that has been tried and tested please? (not that I intend of doing alot of wet weather riding but it will be good to have the kit there if I need it! [smiley=happy.gif])

thanks

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Iceman
04-08-09, 10:46 AM
..yeh, marigold gloves from ASDA! :D ;D

Roxy
04-08-09, 11:10 AM
:) yes funny but not really that helpful. Some people may like riding around with sweaty hands but not me. :(

alanTDM
04-08-09, 02:19 PM
Roxy i got a pair of Akito rain master gloves that i dont use to small for me you can try them but think there more of a winter glove.

Roll_on
04-08-09, 03:10 PM
I know you bought a Frank Thomas Aqua suit so you could try Frank Thomas waterproof overmits these are quick and easy to put on and screw up into small space when not in use, fit easy into a pocket. They will keep your ordinary gloves dry in heavy rain. They also do overboots to match and both boots and gloves are fairly cheap.
Failing that a one piece diving suit and helmet will do the trick but you will need a pillion to operate the air pump..

Roxy
04-08-09, 03:27 PM
Roxy i got a pair of Akito rain master gloves that i dont use to small for me you can try them but think there more of a winter glove.

Thanks alan, if ur around this week at the mermaid or sally I'll be there to try them, you will have to make yourself known to me though! :) my hands are pretty small too. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
04-08-09, 03:37 PM
I wasn't that keen on the waterproof over gloves/boots covers because its something else to carry and I get enough grief from you lot at the moment for being a girl and carrying too much stuff!! ::)

..but if all else fails then I will try that, the aquapac suit I have is great so I am sure the over mitts and boots covers will be good also.

still fancy some waterproof gloves though.. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

roxy

FJ_Biker
04-08-09, 04:35 PM
I have given up with trying to find water proof gloves, they tend to start leaking at some point, I now carry multiple pairs of gloves with me so I always have dry hands at the start of a journey

Don’t laugh at marigolds I see couriers use them in London so they must work

alanTDM
04-08-09, 06:49 PM

Thanks alan, if ur around this week at the mermaid or sally I'll be there to try them, you will have to make yourself known to me though! :) my hands are pretty small too. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mermaid is a no go! Sally ok Thursday if you go through Box on the way can meet up at the Esso garage there, then try them out riding to the Sally. If not possible i'll have to look out for a blonde with small hands when i get there lol :)
So dont go changing your hair colour in the mean time ;D

BB
04-08-09, 09:20 PM
Marigolds or latex gloves under you normal gloves is quite a usful option. I've even dived in a fuel station and grabbed some plastic gloves from the pumps before now! ;D

I've got some ladies fit Dainese which have seen me through some monsoons and a pait of FT ladies fit I bought in a sale earlier this year which I haven't tried yet.

BB

igbell
05-08-09, 02:16 PM
I had a pair of Alpinestar gloves bought for me 2 years ago for my birthday and I have used them in the rain for the last two years and are great, but they are winter gloves with Gore-Tex so not cheap, during the summer I use unwaterproof gloves and just take the rain..... Then if they get too soggy use an old pair of summer gloves.

Mark_Able
05-08-09, 08:36 PM
I have given up with trying to find water proof gloves, they tend to start leaking at some point, I now carry multiple pairs of gloves with me so I always have dry hands at the start of a journey

Don’t laugh at marigolds I see couriers use them in London so they must work

I agree with the multiple glove answer. I've yet to find a decent pair of waterproof gloves (summer or winter). The closest I've got is Richa spring/autumn gloves. They'll hold it out for an hour or two, but any long journeys and you may as well forget it. I currently have 6 pairs of gloves!

Top tip, always tuck your waterproof glove inside your sleeve! ;)

FJ_Biker
05-08-09, 09:41 PM
Able Training wrote

Top tip, always tuck your waterproof glove inside your sleeve!

I will give this a try all we need now is some rain ;D

alanTDM
05-08-09, 10:13 PM
Able Training wrote

Top tip, always tuck your waterproof glove inside your sleeve!

I will give this a try all we need now is some rain ;D

yea but you will get wet arms then ;D

pilninggas
05-08-09, 10:36 PM
don't bother with oxford bone dry, they are anything but. ::)

merv

Roxy
05-08-09, 11:29 PM
ooh all this is getting very confusing ;D ;D maybe its easier to just leave the bike in the shed!!

FJ_Biker
06-08-09, 07:44 AM
Basically buy waterproof gloves and only use them when it rains. Gloves have to put up with a lot of movement and contain loads of stitching so are going to start leaking at some point

BB
06-08-09, 06:15 PM
Basically buy waterproof gloves and only use them when it rains. Gloves have to put up with a lot of movement and contain loads of stitching so are going to start leaking at some point

That will be all the time then... :P

BB

Mosser
08-08-09, 02:06 AM
I would recommend just using normal non waterproof gloves when it rains, you will get wet hands, and once you get home, you will dry them, and your gloves !

I was riding back from London yesterday afternoon and got absolutely soaked, i use (supposedly) fully waterproof kit from frank thomas, and it was fine when it was brand new, but 6 months down the line and it leaks now, like all the other kit i have used, none is waterproof for very long unless your only ride occasionally.

When i got home yesterday, i literally tipped the water out of my gloves (about quarter of a litre i reckon), and had to change my tshirt (soaked at the bottom) and pants (totally soaked though), but none of it matters, as once you get home, you just change your clothes, dry off with a towel and you are fixed !, easier and cheaper than spending thousands on waterproof gear to try and stay dry in the monsoon weather that you sometimes have to ride through

BB
08-08-09, 11:15 AM
Very true Mosser, very true, nothing stays waterproof for long if you will keep using it! :D

BB

igbell
10-08-09, 10:24 AM
Now if you buy Gore-Tex kit and this has happened you can get them to look at it, if I recall Gore-Tex kit can be checked and assessed up to 2 years, hence the price as it stays dry and works for about this amount of time.

If you buy sympatex or such like it will be as dry as it can last and as it is nothing like Gore-Tex it will last as long as the warranty last then you have to buy new or reproof the kit.

Gore might be more expensive but it does what is says on the label.

Roxy
10-08-09, 11:25 AM
you guys are a world of knowledge...thank you so much.

roxy

igbell
10-08-09, 11:37 AM
Well thats nice of you....
The wife tells me I am full of complete and utter rubbish..... ;)

sburv
10-08-09, 12:57 PM
Waterproof golves...?

I'm my experience there is no such thing. Heated grips will atleast keep your hands warm.

Mosser
11-08-09, 12:46 AM
. Heated grips will atleast keep your hands warm.

I actually use the heated grips on my bike to warm the water in my gloves when its hammering it down with rain !, works a treat as it only takes about 10 minutes to warm the water up on the highest setting and then your hands are nice and toasty even though they are soaked !