PDA

View Full Version : Track tuition.

Mark_Able
14-08-09, 09:42 PM
Folks, I'm just gauging reaction to the idea of track days for novices, with instructor tuition? We've passed the idea around for a while now, and thought it might be a good idea. It would also give nervous track day beginners a way of starting on the track without being too intimidated. The idea would be to teach all those important riding techniques that are just as important when riding on the road. If we could get a deal with a track which allowed us use of a classroom, it be of real benefit to some. Let us know if anyone is genuinely interested (need to know numbers). Cheers, Mark.

gedmib
14-08-09, 09:45 PM
yup sounds like a plan

Mark_Able
14-08-09, 09:47 PM
yup sounds like a plan

Well mate, you can see from other threads, there are folks that want the knowledge... ;)

gedmib
14-08-09, 09:50 PM
when u gonna get nico on ere mark?

Last Train
15-08-09, 09:43 AM
I'm interested in this

Hannah
15-08-09, 10:31 AM
Stupid question but I don't know, Can L plates go on tracks? Or are they not fast enough??

Chrissie
15-08-09, 01:02 PM
I would highly recommend the Avon & Somerset 'Rider Performance' course, they are held about twice a year

I passed my test in December and did the course last May, it is held at Castle Combe and they give you theory, practice on a small area of the track then at braking, cornering etc. then you get in some track time, mostly with the guidance of a highly qualified rider, then there is some time on your own if you are happy at that stage.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

schwee
15-08-09, 02:23 PM
Nice business proposition, but is there really money to be made in this type of business? Depending what track you go to, to fill it you'd be looking at around 50 riders per group (normally 3 groups) before braking even with the cost to hire it.

I think a lot of ordinary track day organisers go out of business as they struggle to fill places. And we all know the cost of trackdays has crept up over the last few years.

Most TDO's offer 1 session 1:1 instruction already, which is usually enough to give people something to work on for the rest of the day.

There have been companies in the past that have tried running an all female track day (most recently No Limits in partnership with GirlsBike2) and even they struggled to get women to sign up.

The novice group on a normal trackday should suffice for the type of people you describe your proposition as appealing to, and if it still scares people, then maybe they are not ready for the track?

I'm not knocking your plans before they've even started, but I would be interested to hear more. Maybe you could go into partnership with a TDO and offer this service at one of their track days to see how it goes. I know Hottrax already do something similar though in the form of their Superbike School

Good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

schwee
15-08-09, 02:25 PM
One more thing that came to mind after I'd posted, are you talking about rider improvement for road riders, or actual track day training for track day riders?

A good road rider isn't always brilliant on track and vice versa

jimmer
15-08-09, 06:23 PM
When my son did his first track day,he was very nervous,Mark came with us gave my son a track walk,a radio and went out with him in every session.After 3 sessions my son was alot more confident was hitting apexs smooth gear changes.I would reccomend it to any newbie to track riding.

Mark_Able
15-08-09, 08:35 PM
when u gonna get nico on ere mark?

Have tried mate, but he's a bit of a techophobe. I'll keep trying... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
15-08-09, 08:41 PM
Nice business proposition, but is there really money to be made in this type of business? Depending what track you go to, to fill it you'd be looking at around 50 riders per group (normally 3 groups) before braking even with the cost to hire it.

I think a lot of ordinary track day organisers go out of business as they struggle to fill places. And we all know the cost of trackdays has crept up over the last few years.

Most TDO's offer 1 session 1:1 instruction already, which is usually enough to give people something to work on for the rest of the day.

There have been companies in the past that have tried running an all female track day (most recently No Limits in partnership with GirlsBike2) and even they struggled to get women to sign up.

The novice group on a normal trackday should suffice for the type of people you describe your proposition as appealing to, and if it still scares people, then maybe they are not ready for the track?

I'm not knocking your plans before they've even started, but I would be interested to hear more. Maybe you could go into partnership with a TDO and offer this service at one of their track days to see how it goes. I know Hottrax already do something similar though in the form of their Superbike School

Good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I appreciate your comments. The reason I was putting out feelers was because I'd had so many people that I've trained that had shown a strong interest. Once you give someone a little knowledge, they're keen to learn more. Unless there was a BIG interest it wouldn't be worth our while, as you say. It's a shame, as the best and safest way to develop your handling skills, is on the track. If there is enough interest, we'll look into it. If not, we may well try linking up with established track day organisers. Either way, you will all be first to hear.... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
15-08-09, 09:42 PM
To be honest I would like to do this but I dont want to use my bike in case I trash it, so this is why I have held off, and the training sites that let you use there bikes is well expensive, so to be honest I think I will carry on riding on the road and learn from my cock ups....

Dabz
16-08-09, 10:28 AM
same as above..I'd love to do it but don't want to risk trashing the bike!

FJ_Biker
16-08-09, 12:03 PM
I’m with igbell on this too, this is my only form of transport

Scotty
16-08-09, 02:55 PM
Interesting line of thought from the last three postees - who says that you're more likely to crash your bike just because you're on track? You control the throttle and as long as you don't get carried away and remember the advice that you've been given, you'll be fine. Once you've dipped a toe in the water you'll be wondering why you hadn't done it years earlier, believe me.
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, have a go... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
16-08-09, 07:47 PM
For those of you that are worried about using your own bikes then I'd suggest the Buell track days where you use their bikes for £99.
Considering the tyre wear and the lack of risk then this is a bargain.
I can't remember the excess, I think it was £600.

http://www.buellperformanceacademy.co.uk/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4

I rode both the 1125s at castle coombe, but I think these are at Mallory Park which is about 85 miles if you don't get lost.

Mark_Able
16-08-09, 08:38 PM
As said, there should be no reason to bin it on your bike, as long as you ride within your limits.

We're looking into Llandow circuit, as they allow small groups at a cheap rate. Groups as small as 12 are acceptable. We'll keep you posted... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
17-08-09, 01:14 AM
£600 excess :o :o :o

If you really want to hire a bike, I'd suggest using Paul Russo....depending on who the TDO is of course.

http://www.prtrackbikehire.com/

Geordie Stu
17-08-09, 09:11 AM
Would love to do more track days but not on my bike

sburv
17-08-09, 03:44 PM
Stupid question but I don't know, Can L plates go on tracks? Or are they not fast enough??

I think most tracks will only take 250cc and above.

Ducatista
17-08-09, 03:51 PM
If you really want to hire a bike, I'd suggest using Paul Russo....depending on who the TDO is of course.

£180 per day plus £250 excess !!

hmm.... I'm honestly not sure about the Buell excess, so check it out first before writing it off, but I think it's a better deal.
£600 compares very well to binning your own bike I thought.
Not as good as £250 but your paying through the nose for that privilege at £180 per day.

schwee
17-08-09, 04:49 PM

£180 per day plus £250 excess !!

hmm.... I'm honestly not sure about the Buell excess, so check it out first before writing it off, but I think it's a better deal.
£600 compares very well to binning your own bike I thought.
Not as good as £250 but your paying through the nose for that privilege at £180 per day.

But don't forget that Paul Russo offers sports bikes, R6 or zx6 IIRC. A Buell isn't everyone's cuppa and Paul Russo will go to most tracks.

If you're only option is hiring a bike or binning your road bike, then that's the price you've gotta pay

Ducatista
17-08-09, 05:07 PM
True, good points.

At least there are options out there for people scared to bin their main bike.
Just then comes down to whether they can afford it.

Gerry
17-08-09, 05:25 PM
Just expressing an interest in any form of Novice Trackday, especially with tuition (cos I'll need it) :)

Would be great to embarrass myself in front of people I know slightly rather than complete strangers ;)

I'll keep an eye on the thread...
G

Ducatista
17-08-09, 05:40 PM
There is a day run by somerset road safety partnership at Castle Coombe for £99.
Details here:

http://north-somerset.mag-uk.org/tmp/Rider%20Performance%20Leaflet.pdf

Robf
18-08-09, 12:03 PM
i'd be up for it... would definatly be a good experience

ONFIRE
18-08-09, 01:03 PM
FE R6 Hire served a purpose for me at the time.
http://www.focusedevents.com/hire_bikes.asp

Tank of fuel chucked in will just about last whole day for your very first TD.

8-)

Scotty
19-08-09, 09:50 PM

I think most tracks will only take 250cc and above.
With very few exceptions - that would need some serious searching to find - TDOs require a full Cat. A licence to be produced, not an A2, and definitely not a provisional (sorry Hannah) though some may permit ACU licence holders in lieu of Cat. A

schwee
19-08-09, 11:39 PM
ACU only licence holders are allowed on track, but under 18's are at the circuits dicretion. You do of course get 125's turning up, but these are usually accompanied by 16-17 yr old racer types with the relevant ACU licence.

I would seriously doubt that anyone else, ie novice, would be allowed on track unless capable of riding a big bike (Cat A)

Mark_Able
20-08-09, 07:39 PM
We were only really thinking of full licence holders anyway. As regards whether a restricted A2 licence would be acceptable, we'll get back to you on that. There is a possibility at Llandow, as we've done it before.

Geordie Stu
21-08-09, 09:27 AM
My 1st track day was with Ron Haslam at Donny park, long way to got but the 3 track session were fantastic even in the rain :(

I paid around £280 that included the hire of a CBR600 + all the equipment. I took my own gloves boots & lid used their leathers. I'd be happy to pay around £200 again.

Don't forget Xmas is coming ;D

Hannah
21-08-09, 09:33 AM
hmmm i'm going to have to get a move on and do my test if I want to do anything like this, well my theory is booked so I'm part way there :) i'll be on a track in no time lol

Scotty
21-08-09, 02:25 PM
You go for it girl! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
21-08-09, 07:52 PM
hmmm i'm going to have to get a move on and do my test if I want to do anything like this, well my theory is booked so I'm part way there :) i'll be on a track in no time lol

Give us a call and we'll give you a quote. I guarantee we're cheaper (and better) than the lot in Amesbury... ;) :)

01373 822399 and leave a message... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

steveo
22-08-09, 06:40 PM
would be very intrested in this when working. Keep my eye on this.