PDA

View Full Version : need advice ASAP.

steveo
17-08-09, 11:13 AM
I just got to collage and noticed that my back tyer is falling apart, the white stuff is showing thro the rubber in the very center of the tyer. i have a ten min ride home, will it be ok just to get me home? i have no idea and dnt wana expirence a blow out if i dnt have to. any advice plzzzz :( :( :(

schwee
17-08-09, 11:36 AM
How on earth did you manage to let your tyre get in this state in the first place??? :o

What bike do you ride?

When you say the white stuff do you mean the cord/fibres are showing?? If this is the case then I would definitely NOT ride it. That's shocking!

Ducatista
17-08-09, 11:38 AM
Do you have a recovery policy?
Personally I wouldn't ride it in that state.
Can you lock it up and walk home until you can get it sorted?

steveo
17-08-09, 11:48 AM
its a gsxr750, thats what i ment yeah the fibrres, i new i needed new tyers but thought it would last bit longer, i dnt have savings so i cnt just go out and buy a set of tyers like most people mate.

no cnt lock it and leave it and no dnt have recovery and even if i did cnt phone them coz my phone cut off, god sake, it can only get worse lol :(

schwee
17-08-09, 11:57 AM
Maybe it's time to get a pushbike?

Owning a vehicle of any description is never cheap. You always have to budget for tyres, servicing, tax, insurance etc

I guess if you plodded home at 10-20mph then you may be ok but get pulled over by the police (attracting attention to yourself doing that speed) then you are looking at points and a fine and even worse, a prohibition on your bike.

It's your shout at the end of the day.

steveo
17-08-09, 12:01 PM
thanks for all your help,+ the sarcasum lol

will sort something out.

thanks schwee

Ducatista
17-08-09, 12:24 PM
I really don't think you should ride it like it is.
If it was a car, then I might take a chance for a short distance, but not on two wheels.

Do you have a mate with the car?
Could you push the bike to the nearest house and ask a neighbour to look after it, whilst you take the wheels off to get them fixed?

steveo
17-08-09, 12:28 PM
dnt know anyone around where i live coz only been here few months hun. my fiancee has a car but she is sailsbury today i think. i will prob just try and ride it home or push it some of the way . it be cool

Dabz
17-08-09, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't risk riding it if the fibres are showing...if it blows and you end up going down the road it'll be a LOT more expensive than just a new tyre. time to push it home I think....not worth the risk to your life, the bike, your driving license, insurance etc...

igbell
17-08-09, 01:45 PM
Sorry to say I wouldnt ride it like that.....that is asking for trouble in either the way of a blow out or the cops pulling you over and giving either a ticket/fine...

If it has got to this point I would say you have been riding on the limit for a while.....I watch out doing that sir...

steveo
17-08-09, 02:28 PM
think my mate is picking it up now.

FJ_Biker
17-08-09, 02:57 PM
Steve you are lucky the law did not stop you :o

steveo
17-08-09, 03:03 PM
i know but i didnt know till i got into collage
:o

Ducatista
17-08-09, 03:26 PM
You need to check your tyres more regularly.

They don't go like that overnight, so it indicates you've neglected them for quite a while.
Sorry to sound harsh, but lack of money is not an excuse. If you can't afford to be safe to minimum standards (for you and other road users) then you shouldn't be riding a bike.

Perhaps you need to find a cheaper alternative until things improve financially?

bladep102
17-08-09, 04:04 PM
do they have english classes at collage

jj
17-08-09, 07:49 PM
is this for real ???? how can anyone let there bike get in that state, just cant believe it...

steveo
18-08-09, 09:49 AM
>:( yeah ok , that will do,

ONFIRE
18-08-09, 10:39 AM
More like need an ASBO or is that read Anti Social Bike dis Order >:(;D ;D ;D

8-)

Scotty
19-08-09, 10:03 PM
What kind of collage would that be Blade, fabric? paper? Would it be a nice picture or an abstract? ;D ;D ;D If taking the piss, don't leave yourself wide open to it in return... 8-)

As for you Steve, sounds like you need a good talking to - for a start your tyre has gone way beyond the legal limit - you're obviously unaware of the limit, but if the tread gets as far as the wear indicators then the tyre is toast, let alone beyond them and right through to the fabric. You're always pleading poverty on here and it's pretty obvious that you can't afford to run the bike if you can't keep it remotely safe or legal - and we're not talking loud pipe or small plate-type illegal here, that tyre is dangerously illegal. Be honest with yourself, sell it and get something smaller and cheaper to run, that doesn't intimidate you and that you can learn to ride on. Please, for your sake, and for Kez and the kids. We get enough posts about fatalities on here, we don't want one about you.

Amante_271
19-08-09, 10:33 PM
A tad harsh Scotty ... BUT COMPLETELY FAIR!!!!

Steve. You should really consider your options on this one mate. It might be worth changing you bike for a cheaper to run bike. I KNOW its not what you want to hear but surely its better to have a bike you can afford to run rather one that breaks your bank and puts you and those around you in danger! Surely you dont want to be a "Bl**dy" stastic!

Rather go for a pint with you that have one with you... AT YOUR WAKE!!!!

igbell
20-08-09, 08:53 AM
Well said Scoty and Amante.....
I have to listen to enough people being pulled out of cars and out of hedges due to bikers being silly from my wife as it is, so can we all be a little more sensible with how we ride and how we keep our bikes.....
and seams to be that the warm weather has brought the summer riders out and they have forgot to ride and also have not looked after there bikes over the winter so they jump on and crash them......please STOP IT!!!!!! ;)

steveo
20-08-09, 01:13 PM
after reading all your post's and thinking about what you are all saying, i will eventualy be selling the bike with NEW tyers and all work done on it so it is safe for the next person who wants to take her on. i am getting a car next month for work reasons. but i am going to get a 400 or 550 something along them lines for nice dry weather so i can still come olong to meets and some rideouts. i must say i do know very little about bikes but i do enjoy riding so with a smaller bike i am just going to take it easy, get my cornering sorted and just enjoy being a biker more safely. im sure lots of you will take the piss but hay ho thats life.

Davey
20-08-09, 01:34 PM
If your selling and on a budget don't forget you could always save money and get some pre scrubbed tyres - big saving esp when selling!

Fook what anyone says ref size of engine as long as you enjoy riding thats all that matters (and its safe and legal!) I have cbr400's and have some of the best fun on them....when running lol If not I know of a SV650n for sale only a grand! I deal bike for building your skills [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
20-08-09, 02:22 PM
As Stu says dont worry about the size and what peeps say, as long as you have a legal bike and enjoy it...

Roxy
20-08-09, 02:37 PM
Steve

I'm not going to say anything else..think the guys and girls had said it all mate!

can't believe you didn;t notice though chick. oops :o

Scotty
20-08-09, 07:03 PM
I think it's a quote from a Dirty Harry film: "A man's got to know his limitations"
Well done to Steve for facing up to the reality of things and looking to get stuff into perspective. It's not easy to admit that you are wrong and big ups for doing it in public. You'll be able to get all the help and support you need from people on here. First one is Stu pointing out that part-worn tyres will be a fraction of the cost of new ones - ask around, check the ads, look for breakers, post an ad on here in the Wanted section...

steveo
21-08-09, 11:18 AM
cool,thanks guys. stu will let you know but may wnt smaller than 650. thanks for the offer. depends what i get for mine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

FJ_Biker
21-08-09, 12:18 PM
Steve when times are hard I have bought part used tyres from Bike treads in Swindon

Davey
21-08-09, 10:18 PM
cool,thanks guys. stu will let you know but may wnt smaller than 650. thanks for the offer. depends what i get for mine. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

SV 650's are a doddle to ride ideal for beginner/ inexperianced as V twin is forgiving - easy handling and also cheap on insurance [smiley=thumbsup.gif] but as I need the space very soon it will be going on ebay shortly

R1chie
21-08-09, 11:44 PM
What kind of collage would that be Blade, fabric? paper? Would it be a nice picture or an abstract? ;D ;D ;D If taking the piss, don't leave yourself wide open to it in return... 8-)

As for you Steve, sounds like you need a good talking to - for a start your tyre has gone way beyond the legal limit - you're obviously unaware of the limit, but if the tread gets as far as the wear indicators then the tyre is toast, let alone beyond them and right through to the fabric. You're always pleading poverty on here and it's pretty obvious that you can't afford to run the bike if you can't keep it remotely safe or legal - and we're not talking loud pipe or small plate-type illegal here, that tyre is dangerously illegal. Be honest with yourself, sell it and get something smaller and cheaper to run, that doesn't intimidate you and that you can learn to ride on. Please, for your sake, and for Kez and the kids. We get enough posts about fatalities on here, we don't want one about you.

I think the 'collage' remark was in reference to steve's post just before blade's.

Back to the matter in hand, Steve...you know what you have to do. Don't be shy in asking for any help on here when it comes to finding bikes/tyres etc. I think amongst us we have plenty of contacts in the industry...some more than others so just pipe up whenever you need something.

Scotty
23-08-09, 01:08 PM
I think the 'collage' remark was in reference to steve's post just before blade's.

Er, yeah, I realised that later on.... :-[ :)

steveo
25-08-09, 11:04 AM
ok, bike now has, 2 new dunlop tyers,new break leaver, new frame on front end dunno what it is, but attaches to the wingmirrors and then just infront of the petral tank. so nearly there just got to get new chain soon and its ready. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D :D

Scotty
26-08-09, 07:44 PM
new frame on front end dunno what it is, but attaches to the wingmirrors and then just infront of the petral tank. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] :D :D
That's what's known as a sway brace Steve

steveo
27-08-09, 09:40 AM
thanks for clearing that one up mate cheers. :)