PDA

View Full Version : My First Bike

confuzzled1234
04-08-09, 08:36 PM
Hi all,

Im new to the forum and to the world of bikes and am currently like a kid in a candy store. I've got my CBT booked for tomorrow and then i have a 3 week wait until i can start the DAS process.

Im looking to find bike in anticipation and have done the rounds of fowlers and george white's over the weekend which was brilliant fun.

A big issue for me is i will be commuting into Bath from Chippenham everyday on it (unless pouring with rain) and my girlfriend lives in Bristol who i shall be seeing on it. Currently i am looking at a Honda Hornet 600 (2000 plate) as this gives me cheap insurance and running costs but what what i would like is some input from other bikers!

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

R1chie
04-08-09, 08:45 PM
Honda Hornet seems a sensible choice for what you need.

Also consider a Fazer600, SV650 or an early Z750 if you want to push things a bit.

Cemorah
04-08-09, 08:54 PM
Fazer 600, SV650S, ER6F all have fairings. When it gets cold you'll wish you had! ;D

gedmib
04-08-09, 09:09 PM
sod that push the boat out an get yasel an RSV Millie lol.....sorry joking :P

BB
04-08-09, 09:13 PM
Honda Hornet seems a sensible choice for what you need.

Also consider a Fazer600, SV650 or an early Z750 if you want to push things a bit.

Wot he said^^^

BB

Thorkill_The_Tall
04-08-09, 09:16 PM
All very good bikes for not a lot of cash.
Keep on top of the basic servicing and they will all give you faithful service.
If you ride throughout the winter, try hosing out your brake calipers on a regular basis to get rid of any salt build up and it might be wise to change your fasterners to stainless. Copper grease everything that doesn't move [smiley=wink.gif]
The big problem with the 'bargain basement' UJMs is their tendancy to disintergrate in British winters.

igbell
05-08-09, 02:18 PM
Yes all the above are good bikes (apart from the Millie), and would keep you going for some time, unless you want to buy a bigger bike cos sid next door has just bought a 2.3 rocket....

Uber Dave
05-08-09, 04:08 PM
CBR600F would be good if you were after a slightly sportier one.
I am bias as I have one however they are good for touring and are not as crampt as the CBR600RR and are much more comfy (plus like someone mentioned its faired so keeps the wind off too!)

Another plus was it didnt kill me on my insurance either and it was my first bike after passing my test.

Dabz
05-08-09, 04:21 PM
don't forget the trusty bandit :)

confuzzled1234
05-08-09, 06:37 PM
What about a yzf600? They seem cheap to buy and insure. Plus look pretty sporty.

Btw I passed the CBT and had oodles of fun with the little 125.

R1chie
05-08-09, 07:07 PM
Yeah, the Thundercats make good 1st bikes if you prefer something with fairings

FJ_Biker
05-08-09, 08:00 PM
For all year riding a faired is the way to go to keep the winter elements off you. My experience with winter riding on the bandit 600, the carbs ice when riding in minus temperatures otherwise they are bullet proof and will easily clock 50K without major problems just change the oil a regular intervals.

A Kawazaki zx-6r is a good choice if you fancy a sportier riding position.

There are lots of good bikes to choose from at 600cc remember choose the one you want and don’t get talked into something you don’t want you will only regret it

Good luck and wrap up warm :)

Iceman
05-08-09, 08:15 PM
..Can't go wrong with the "Hornet", a good starter mid range bike to gain experience. I've owned a CBR600F and now a ZX6R,both faster and more sport oriented than the Hornet.Depends what you're into and also insurance fees you're willing to fork out for! Good luck in your decision and safe riding! ;)

Mark_Able
05-08-09, 08:47 PM
I've had a couple of Fazer 600's in the past for training on. Dead comfy, clock up the miles with ease, and if you know what you're doing on one, you can embarrass quite a few sports bike riders. Used to see 60 to the gallon too. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
The CBR600F is another top choice. My first brand new bike, owned 3 1/2 years, clocked 58000miles, never missed a beat. And you could do everything on it, i.e. training, touring with the Mrs, commuting, track days.... ;)

Chrissie
05-08-09, 09:21 PM
Great choice, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] I love my Honda Hornet and have found it perfect for my first step up from a DR 125 GS, the upright position gives a good view up ahead and it corners like a dream, Hondas are known for their reliability and holding their value.

The best bit was accelerating away from my pal on his Aprillia 1000 Mille at traffic lights a couple of weeks ago, ha ha! Though he is twice my weight and probably sleeping on the job, but it really happened.

Best of luck whatever you go for. ;D

;D

SupeRDel
09-08-09, 10:10 AM
Gotta say that I started riding in 1974 on a moped and slowly worked my way up because age, insurance costs were the governing factor.

The thought of someone starting out on a 600cc bike frightens me to death - even if it is restricted.

No matter wot training you have there is NO substitute for miles of experiance - that includes falling off little bikes a few times too learn that it hurts.

Davey
09-08-09, 04:42 PM
::)

So I take it that you have considered that a modern bike has better handling, stopping power and all round improvement over bikes 10 years ago let alone 35

I'd say that I have more than ample experiance and I'd rather ride a modern bike than some old piece of crap from decades ago (they scare the crap out of me!) and likewise if I had someone wanting a 1st bike I'd put them on a modern 600 than a old moped or 125 as it would be safer IMHO. Its called growing with the times and advances in technology

The only thing I agree with is there is no substitute for experiance but advances in technology help increase the learning curve [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jj
09-08-09, 08:41 PM
agree with every word you said stu [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
10-08-09, 09:56 AM
hear hear Stu..

I did a 3 day direct access, passed my test end of Feb having never ridden a bike and went straight to a bandit 600..nothing wrong with that. The whole point was to do the test that gives me an unrestricted licence so I didn't have to get a old moped or tiny 125 and potter on that for 2 years. My bike only goes as fast as I want it to...and before you lot say anything...yes I know I bimble!!!! ;D ;)

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mosser
11-08-09, 12:53 AM
I ride a FZS600 as my main bike, but i also have a 1982 Honda CM125 for messing about with and riding round town on when i dont want to get my big bike out, and i reckon that a learner is much better off on a smaller 125cc bike for at least a few months to get to grips with biking, its more nimble, much lighter and easier to handle, and there is plenty of power and speed to keep up with the flow of traffic, the only place it would suffer, is it you had to do any motorway work, you do need more than 125cc to ride safely on a motorway.

But my personal opinion is that a 600cc machine is too much for someone inexperienced to hop on after passing their test, and they would be much better off with a smaller, lighter, lower powered bike initially

Roxy
11-08-09, 10:30 AM
We all have and are entitled to our own personal opinion.

Since passing my test I have done over 3000 miles on the 600. Both short runs and long distance, I think its more about the person and not the bike. If you are inexperianced and what to ride like an arse then yes you are going to get into trouble but I personally don't see anything wrong with someone passing their test and getting a big bike, taking it steady and gaining experiance as they go - after all I have learnt so much in the past few months and have probably done more miles in that short time than most experianced riders do in a year.

safe riding guys

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Kevinb
11-08-09, 01:06 PM
You need to sit on each bike and if possible test ride them. What is suitable for one may not be ok for another rider. Also check if it is due a service, tyres, chain and spockets as all will be expensive.
Whatever you decide on, enjoy.

Cheers Kev

Mark_Able
11-08-09, 09:20 PM
I ride a FZS600 as my main bike, but i also have a 1982 Honda CM125 for messing about with and riding round town on when i dont want to get my big bike out, and i reckon that a learner is much better off on a smaller 125cc bike for at least a few months to get to grips with biking, its more nimble, much lighter and easier to handle, and there is plenty of power and speed to keep up with the flow of traffic, the only place it would suffer, is it you had to do any motorway work, you do need more than 125cc to ride safely on a motorway.

But my personal opinion is that a 600cc machine is too much for someone inexperienced to hop on after passing their test, and they would be much better off with a smaller, lighter, lower powered bike initially

You're sort of missing the point of what Direct Access is all about. ::)
When I started out, there was a lad in my home town that passed his test on a Suzuki GP100, and that day bought a Kawasaki GPZ750Turbo. That is a mental bike even by todays standards. Before Direct Access, I trained people on Honda CG125's, who then bought Fireblades as their first bike. As much as you try to convince someone that it's not the best idea, if that's what they want, that's what they'll get. The idea of Direct Access is that they do the training on something more like the bike they'll eventually end up buying. A Honda CG125 has absolutely nothing in common with a modern sports bike. You don't have to counter steer a CG125, you can just throw your body weight around and it'll go round a bend. It makes sense to teach people to ride bikes properly.

At the end of the day, it's not about what you're riding, it's about how you ride it. If you're a complete knob end, you'll kill yourself on a 125.

Roxy
11-08-09, 09:34 PM

You're sort of missing the point of what Direct Access is all about. ::)
When I started out, there was a lad in my home town that passed his test on a Suzuki GP100, and that day bought a Kawasaki GPZ750Turbo. That is a mental bike even by todays standards. Before Direct Access, I trained people on Honda CG125's, who then bought Fireblades as their first bike. As much as you try to convince someone that it's not the best idea, if that's what they want, that's what they'll get. The idea of Direct Access is that they do the training on something more like the bike they'll eventually end up buying. A Honda CG125 has absolutely nothing in common with a modern sports bike. You don't have to counter steer a CG125, you can just throw your body weight around and it'll go round a bend. It makes sense to teach people to ride bikes properly.

At the end of the day, it's not about what you're riding, it's about how you ride it. If you're a complete knob end, you'll kill yourself on a 125.

hear hear thanks for that able training, I totally agree. I feel that a few people I have met since passing my test end of Feb think that I should not be entitled to have the bandit 600, well I feel fine riding it, I know I have my limits as a new rider but its all about getting out there and gaining experiance, I have been taught to ride a bike, passed my test (1st time ;)) and I have the right to choose which bike I want to ride. Everyone has the right to choose, you just have to ride it safely thats all. Ride like an idiot and you will come unstuck.

Roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mosser
12-08-09, 12:23 AM
I did my DAS last october, so have been riding for less than a year, and started on my CM125, stepped up to a GS500, then on up to my FZS600, i'm moving on up to an FZ1 in the next few months, and different people are more comfortable with different paths, I prefer and would recommend anyone new to biking to step on up through the bike sizes to be honest and gain experience along the way.

The Bandit is probably the best of the 600cc bikes to start on as it has relatively low power for its engine size, and from owners i have spoken to, its very forgiving, so i'm not saying its not a good starter bike, it probably is if thats what you want to do, or only want to buy 1 bike.

Everyone has their own perferences and likes and dislikes, if they didnt, everyone would ride exactly the same bike and think exactly the same things, and the world would be a very boring place, so everyones opinion is valid and probably correct, and its up to how other people think and interpret other peoples experiences and views that will determine what route they go, so i wouldnt go putting down people that say the 125 route is good, let people read about other peoples views and experiences and make up their own mind, you dont win anything for someone else agreeing with you !

I have ridden 34,000 miles in the 9 months i have been riding, so more than most bikers, and have ridden loads of bikes, from an Aprillia millie (my brothers bike) to a harley 1300 monster of a bike (my neighbours), to my other neighbours honda 50cc moped, none of them were bad or dangerous, and each suits a different style or purpose of riding

Mark_Able
17-08-09, 08:04 PM
Mosser, you're not wrong. The gradual step up route is best for some people. I don't believe that because DAS is available to you, that should be the way to go. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

However, if someone is doing DAS, why should someone suggest that they go back to riding a 125 to gain experience? That's like taking your driving test in a Jaguar but buying a Fiat Panda. I just see some advice as being unconstructive, again. ::)

gedmib
17-08-09, 09:09 PM
can i add me two pence worth after passing me test(first time,no minors,thanks to ABLE training) i went home and jumped straight onto my CBR 600 FS, not a problem, ve just changed me bike an got a TL100S(widow maker) which i am more than at home on, i found it really hard to ride the lil 125 when training and also the GS500 that we trained on where not to my liking, and as i passed my test i also have the right to chose wot i ride an how i ride it, however each to there own and stepping up through the CC range maybe for some but not for others.

Mosser
18-08-09, 09:08 PM
I did my DAS and went back to my 125, i had a GS500 and a 125 and swapped between them, different bikes suit different purposes, neither was a better bike, just that 1 was more powerful than the other, i quite enjoyed riding from warminster to southampton on my 125 and never had a problem with it or thought it was dangerous, i quite enjoyed it in fact, and i had a gs500 sat beside my 125 that i could have taken instead, so i wasnt forced to ride the 125, i chose it for that ride.

I think some people are brainwashed into thinking that you need a powerful bike to ride safely anywhere, you dont, its the rider on it that makes the difference between a safe bike and a dangerous bike

And if some people struggle with riding 125's and think they are dangerous, you should try riding a pushbike, much slower, so in theory its much more dangerous !

Around london where i do a lot of my riding, the most popular bike and the best bike for zipping around is the 50cc and 125cc step through scooters, so again, its all about choosing a bike that is appropriate for the type of riding you are going to do, and the type of rider you are

BB
18-08-09, 09:14 PM

So I take it that you have considered that a modern bike has better handling, stopping power and all round improvement over bikes 10 years ago let alone 35

I'd say that I have more than ample experiance and I'd rather ride a modern bike than some old piece of crap from decades ago (they scare the crap out of me!) and likewise if I had someone wanting a 1st bike I'd put them on a modern 600 than a old moped or 125 as it would be safer IMHO. Its called growing with the times and advances in technology

The only thing I agree with is there is no substitute for experiance but advances in technology help increase the learning curve [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

:o So my 60 year old AJS would scare the crap out of you? :D :D

and please don't go taking offence - I'm just smiling to myself with a vision of my trusty Ajay scaring anybody! ;)

BB

Davey
21-08-09, 08:42 PM

:o So my 60 year old AJS would scare the crap out of you? :D :D

and please don't go taking offence - I'm just smiling to myself with a vision of my trusty Ajay scaring anybody! ;)

BB

Yep prob would do at the 1st corner where there were no brakes and/ or rubber as solid as the concrete they're sitting on. Though they may be slower that isn't always a good thing :)

Tongy
31-08-09, 10:49 PM
All good advice on here. Make your own choice, and enjoy it. Its not age or technology that lets a bike down. It all comes down to mechanics, only dangerous thing on any bike is the nut that holds the handlebars!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Geordie Stu
01-09-09, 08:32 AM
Its all about personal choice as we know. What is go for some else doesn't mean its right for you. doing 60 mph on a Hornet is the same as any other bike. Just other bikes get you up to 60 mph quicker :) what ever you decide on lets us know stick a pic on here. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
03-09-09, 12:22 PM
I passed my DAC 2 years ago.
I am no expert on bikes or biking generally but I can say that my Kawasaki ZZR600 has been an excellent bike for me. Bought it after passing my DAC. Thought it was too powerful to start with but after a few months really enjoyed it and saved me having to pay out for a more powerful bike later. Just ridden it to Ireland and back, very comfy, economical and fast. Was going to buy a bigger bike to start with but glad I didnt. Think getting used to the weight and size of the ZZR600 has been useful. Its by no means a large bike compared to some but glad I didnt end up with something like a Pan European or ZZR1400 as my first bike, not so much due to the speed but the physical size.
Hope that helps
Paul