PDA

View Full Version : Isle of man campsites

pup
06-08-09, 09:34 PM
Going to the TT next year and looking for decent campsite near or in Douglas. Any ideas????

BB
06-08-09, 09:49 PM
Not Douglas, but a guy I know camps near the swimming pool in Peel which he reckons is good. Personally we rent a cottage over there.

There are quite a few camp sites if you Google, or try emailing the tourist info over there. I've always found them pretty helpful

BB

Scotty
07-08-09, 08:21 PM
Hey BB, I gather that you're going to the Manx in a few weeks - are you staying in the cottage near Peel? We'll be in the Hydro hotel on Douglas Prom :) it's 9 years since I was last there, can't wait to get back 8-) Maybe we'll bump into you sometime over the week [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
07-08-09, 10:55 PM
Yup, we will be there - 8 of us in a cottage that sleeps 6 :D

Close to the Whitehouse Hotel and walking distance of all amenities (pubs/grub) in Peel, it's also got a garage and it's surprising how neatly you can park 7 bikes inside ;D

Maybe we should set up a WB meet over there?

BB :)

Scotty
24-08-09, 11:15 PM
Yeah, we could meet up sometime, maybe at a viewing point for the races one day. None of the people that I'm going with have been before so we'll probably start off with a well-known spot such as the Gooseneck, then maybe the Bungalow area, then perhaps somewhere like Quarterbridge (if we walk there we can have a beer or two...) I'll PM you my mobile number if you like and maybe we can arrange a meet... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

steveo
25-08-09, 10:57 AM
how do youget tickets for tt or do you just turn up lol, im clueless :-[

BB
25-08-09, 08:31 PM
You don't 'buy' tickets for TT or Manx GP - you just pay extortionate ferry costs followed by high accommodation costs and basically stand where you are still permitted to view!

The races are held on the normal roads on the island which are just closed for practice & racing. Aside from sponsorship the race programme is about the only direct way to pay for viewing

BB

BB
25-08-09, 08:39 PM
Yeah, we could meet up sometime, maybe at a viewing point for the races one day. None of the people that I'm going with have been before so we'll probably start off with a well-known spot such as the Gooseneck, then maybe the Bungalow area, then perhaps somewhere like Quarterbridge (if we walk there we can have a beer or two...) I'll PM you my mobile number if you like and maybe we can arrange a meet... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

pm to you too!
Gooseneck is good as is Bungalow - if dry weather. Quarterbridge can get a bit crowded and if you are short like me... but as you say the pub is handy!
Have you checked out what's on? Aside from the racing, Thursday is always a good day with Ramsey Sprint and Peel Beachcross :D
http://www.manxgrandprix.org/events.html

BB

steveo
26-08-09, 11:01 AM
o wow cool. have to look into it, find out when it is and stuff. alway thought you had to get tickets. silly me thanks bb :)

SupeRDel
29-08-09, 09:18 AM
Be careful when riding on the island.

The police use unmarked camera bikes and follow you around.

We just had a member of the aircooled RD club banned for a year after being filmed by the following biker cop.

Our man lost his job as well as a result - Motorcycle Instructor

Iceman
31-08-09, 09:43 PM
I'm interested in going to the TT next year so would be nice to know who else from here is planning a trip over? Maybe make arrangements regards to & thro and campsites etc? Never been before so looking forword to it! ;)

steveo
03-09-09, 01:30 PM
me and a few mates are thinking of going iceman, but still waiting to hear back from 2 of them. but if your intrested ?

Kevinb
03-09-09, 01:52 PM
We wouldn't mind going next year, but would want to rent a cottage/stay in a hotel.
I think I will need to buy a tourer for the trip though.

Iceman
07-09-09, 04:52 PM
me and a few mates are thinking of going iceman, but still waiting to hear back from 2 of them. but if your intrested ?

yeh I hear you!Sounds good. Gives us plenty of time to plan something when we know who's interested! ;)

BB
07-09-09, 06:46 PM
We wouldn't mind going next year, but would want to rent a cottage/stay in a hotel.
I think I will need to buy a tourer for the trip though.

If you want to stay in hotel or cottage you need to book early as a great many are booked year on year. You can also do Homestay, which is a sort of DIY B&B in private houses. If you want to go Sat to Sat book your ferry as soon as you can - and it will not be cheap so start saving!

BB