PDA

View Full Version : Bikers at both ends of the Spectrum what dou think

alanTDM
20-09-09, 10:05 PM
I came across these two this week.
First one- I left Monkton Farleigh and travelled to Bradford on Avon past the Fox and Hounds pub through the 50mph and down towards the 60mph sweeping right/left uphill bends that take you past Cumberwell Park.Came across a row of cars doing about 40-45mph,thought it was a Caravan being towed but it was a biker on a HD with 4ft bars on it chugging along.I overtook the cars and got behind him,still doing 40-45mph thought he was riding a bit slow but then i noticed and asked myself why is he riding 2ft from the white line? ,i couldnt see any reason for this so overtook him. What do you Think?

2nd - Saturday 19th
Going through Atworth past the pub and Garden Centre(40mph limit) & 100yds from the right hand bent some guy on a Suzuki blue white 600/750 came round the bend towards me doing about 70mph with his knee down going towards the Garden centre entrance.
Now if a car pulled out of the GCentre and looked left /right and left and saw it all clear and started to pull out to turn right the speed the biker was going he prob would of gone into the side of the car as the GC entrance is about 100 yds away from the bend or do you think the biker would of stopped! What do you think?

Shep
20-09-09, 11:03 PM
I think they were probably both enjoying their riding.

Hunar
21-09-09, 10:41 AM
1st

The speed limit is exactly that, a limit, not a target. There could have been several reasons, personal and mechanical for his speed, overtake, give him a nod disapear into the distance.

2nd

Who can say what 'MAY' have happened had there been a car there. I am sure there are many people here that have had people pull out in front of them regardless of speed, and the driver doesn't see them (SMIDSY, Sorry Mate I Didn't See You).

I have seen all types of vehicles do both of the above on the roads on a regular basis, porsches do 50 in a 60, micra's doing 80 along twisty roads with junctions just around bends, I don't worry too much when I see people doing it, or I would be permanently worried and thats not a good frame of mind to be in when out on the roads, sometimes I think 'muppet' or 'moron' but thats about it.

With the slow rider/driver look on the brightside, as a biker you will probably get past quicker than most other vehicles, so, with a bit of luck, you should have an empty road ahead for quite a while!

finbar
21-09-09, 05:49 PM
1st

Typical Harley rider,all show and no go. But if that floats their boat good on them. I would be miff if I was getting delayed by a bike of all things while driving, say my car!!! I do have a weird mindset when it comes to people making a lack of progress, I find it bad manners that someone thinks it is fair to impose a speed on the line of people following. If you want to go slow, great, just pull over and let the others through.

2nd

I guess I am biased, with this one as I like to get a wiggle on when safe. I guess the problem is it might not have been the safest place to be thraping along at speed. I would hope he (i am assuming it was a male) will learn form a few close shaves. I know I have! ;)

Mark_Able
22-09-09, 07:47 PM
1st

Typical Harley rider,all show and no go. But if that floats their boat good on them. I would be miff if I was getting delayed by a bike of all things while driving, say my car!!! I do have a weird mindset when it comes to people making a lack of progress, I find it bad manners that someone thinks it is fair to impose a speed on the line of people following. If you want to go slow, great, just pull over and let the others through.

2nd

I guess I am biased, with this one as I like to get a wiggle on when safe. I guess the problem is it might not have been the safest place to be thraping along at speed. I would hope he (i am assuming it was a male) will learn form a few close shaves. I know I have! ;)

I sort of agree. 1st guy maybe a nervous rider that needs something to focus on (i.e. the white line).

As regards the 2nd guy, that road until quite recently was a national speed limit road. If that was still the case, he may have been going just a little over. As someone felt it necessary to lower the speed limit (although there are no change of circumstances), does that mean it's unsafe to do that speed? Does it mean someone can't judge what is safe for themselves? I'm not condoning what the 2nd guy was doing, but I do hate having the right to decide what is 'safe' taken out of my hands, probably because at sometime in the past, some nobber has decided to drive along there too quick in his Corsa, and had an accident. Rant over... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Karl
22-09-09, 09:20 PM
Both have the right to be on the road and enjoy themselves. 1st guy nice to see someone holding up all them cars. We should be able to pass easily. Just think if he was close to the nearside the cars would try to overtake when it may not be safe to do so, forcing him into the nearest tree when they cut back in. I say fairplay for taking control of the road. Mopeds have the same problem not being able to travel with the flow of the traffic. 2nd guy, well his life is in his hands. He felt that he was in control of his speed, and I agree with Hunar about the SMIDSY factor, most accidents are to do with SMIDSY not with speed.

alanTDM
22-09-09, 09:33 PM
regarding 2nd
It was a 60mph road until 3years ago if im correct on the date ,the biker had come out of a 30mph limit through the village ,then theres a left hand bend about 100yds from 30mph then another left bend then about 100yds to Garden centre entrance and pub on the right,so the whole road from 30mph from the village is 40mph then when you get to Atworth goes to 30mph again
Think reason they reduced the speed limit to 40 mph near the GC and pub was drivers/riders travelling to Melksham were hitting the bend to fast lost control on the right hander and ended up in the hedge/field,