PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth to Bilbao - Anybody done it?

Paul_Imber
15-09-09, 06:07 PM
We're planning to travel Portsmouth to Bilbao July 2010 on our R1200RT and then travel east Spain and France staying in the mountains.
Anybody done this?
Any decent hints?
Any special road laws for Bikes?

alanTDM
15-09-09, 11:29 PM
I done this trip ages ago! when you get to ferry port go straight to the front as bikes are usally first to go on prob be others there aswell,the 24hr crossing is boring, evening entertainment i thought was naff even could say was embarrassing.
Bay of Biscay can be like a mill pond or VERY rough seas (luck really)
Get pissed then you dont notice the ship rolling about and you then walk in straight line lol!
I had no problems with the Spainish car drivers at all and was away for 4-5months,Flash your headlights when you go to overtake its the norm or was.
youll need spare bulbs complete set and i think you now need a small red warning triangle.motorcycle ones are smaller than the big car ones they use.
I also been along the North coast to the Picos de Europa mountains brilliant place went 3 times trail riding in the mountains.Unforgettable!!
Spain is a brillant place to ride and the Spainish like there bikes which makes it a very biker friendly country,unlike this friggin UK. >:(
You could check out the Spainish tourist web sites for more info on motorcycle regulations or even RAC/AA
Oh and remember they drive on the right which if your not alert you can easily end up riding down the road on the left for a 100 metres before you remember or traffic coming the other way will remind you.
Have a good trip! :)

Paul_Imber
16-09-09, 05:42 PM
brill. Thanks for that

BB
16-09-09, 05:46 PM
Might be worth looking on www.advrider.com. They have loads of information on touring all over the world. They have a whole section devoted to Europe. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Paul_Imber
16-09-09, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the link. Will look at it later. I notice you are in Wiltshire. I'm in Chippenham. Cheers

BB
16-09-09, 06:07 PM
Make sure you have plenty of time when you go on there - I always get sucked in to reading something and then an hour has gone by.... :o

Yup, sunny Trowbridge!

BB

alanTDM
16-09-09, 11:05 PM
You wont find a better site than this all the info you will ever need takes ages to go through it all http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/

I live between Bath and Corsham if not on my bike :)

Sharik
23-09-09, 09:23 AM
The standard of the vessel and service provided by P&O has deteriorated over the years. I have not looked at price comparisons but have used both and can state the Brittany Ferries Pompey to Santander service is preferable. The Brittany vessel is comparatively new, with good service and offers a shorter crossing time than P&O. My only minor gripe with them is the area utilised for parking motorcycles on the car deck; it is a an area you can not ride stright through requiring a little manoeuvring around to exit once docked.

Ryan
23-09-09, 08:06 PM
That will be on P&O's Pride Of Bilbao, i go on that ferry every other month for a good drinking session as a foot passenger, they do mini cruises u can go on for 3 days and nights go to spain and back and just spend 3 days and 3 nights totaly wasted. Briliant fun, shall be going again begging of november ;D

alanTDM
23-09-09, 08:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3kFCgvKp4

alanTDM
23-09-09, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3kFCgvKp4

Good music though!

Just sussed what my bottom signature says lol

Ryan
23-09-09, 09:29 PM
ive been on the bilbao ferry when its been that bad, we were in hurricane force 11 - 12 aswell, it was so bad the return sailing was cancled and it had to stay in dock in bilbao for 4 nights cos of the bad weather so we had an extra 4 nights of drinking fun in bilbao dock lol was wicked!!