PDA

View Full Version : getting my licence

samuaaal
27-09-09, 10:45 PM
I am looking into getting my full licence soon, i have a full car driving licence.

First of all, CBT asap.

because im only 20 i will have to do a restricted access course (£280) which will let me ride a bike with no engine size restrictions but it will be restricted to 33bhp.
Get a bike and get it restricted to this, 21'st birthday comes will it be then possible to take a "test" (£90) on an unrestricted bike and take my restricter off? or will i have to do a full direct acess course?

would it be better to wait till april and im 21? or is this a cheaper alternative?

sam

Ryan
27-09-09, 10:49 PM
in my opinion i would say wait till your 21 and do the whole dierct access in one, do like i did and do your test on your 21st birthday, what a present that was lol!

maybe do your cbt now and get yourself a cheap 125 to get some road experiance on through the winter then do your test when your 21

good luck with whatever you decide to do [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

samuaaal
27-09-09, 10:52 PM
is the direct access itself mandatory or is it just the test i need to do? or can i just do CBT, then straight in for my test at 21?

Ryan
27-09-09, 10:54 PM
i "think" you can do your CBT then just take a test when your 21 for the full access, not 100% sure on that though, some other will know more about this and will reply im sure.

gedmib
27-09-09, 10:59 PM
speak to able training sam, god do u not listen all the time or is that just in work lol

samuaaal
27-09-09, 10:59 PM
haha its both :)

Davey
28-09-09, 07:23 AM
you can do your CBT at any time as valid for 2 years - then you could either do your restricted licence and re-take the test when your 21 on a suitable powered bike and get the restrictors off.

Or just do your cbt run around on a 125 for 6 months then do the DAS

Iceman
28-09-09, 03:46 PM
is the direct access itself mandatory or is it just the test i need to do? or can i just do CBT, then straight in for my test at 21?

I did not do a DAS course, instead bought myself a CBR600 (after doing my CBT and theory test of course) and applied direct for my test last year and passed with no errors.This saved me hundreds but If you are not a competant rider then further training is advisable (DAS for instance). Good luck in whatever course you take and safe riding!
;)

Ducatista
28-09-09, 04:56 PM
Yes, but didn't you do the OLD test Iceman.
I believe the new test includes a specific "swerve" manouver amongst others.
Now you might be able to practice this from the description, but I would have thought you might need some practice with the correct equipment that bike schools have (like a speed trap).
Remember this bit is about passing a specific test.

I'm pretty sure that Iceman did a different test, which might have been easier to do as a competant rider without training.

I'm not making any comments on anyones capabilities, just that there are very specific things you need to be able to do over and above just being a competant rider.

Lurkalot had a very good experience with Phoenix training but I've only heard good things about the other places too and there isn't now a test center in Chippenham so unfortnately it's not near to the test routes anymore.

Karl
28-09-09, 07:11 PM
I would get your CBT, and then wait until you are 21 to do your full DAS. It will give you time to save for your dream bike. If you cant wait just get a cheap 125 for now. Nothing special just to get some experience, the cheaper the better, as you should save for a better bike later. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Iceman
29-09-09, 01:29 AM
Yes, but didn't you do the OLD test Iceman.
I believe the new test includes a specific "swerve" manouver amongst others.
Now you might be able to practice this from the description, but I would have thought you might need some practice with the correct equipment that bike schools have (like a speed trap).
Remember this bit is about passing a specific test.

I'm pretty sure that Iceman did a different test, which might have been easier to do as a competant rider without training.

I'm not making any comments on anyones capabilities, just that there are very specific things you need to be able to do over and above just being a competant rider.

He asked If the test was mandatory, not about ability and I told him what I did myself.I also said that he may require further "pro" training depending on his abilities!Regards the new test,it is about being a competant rider,especialy the swerve manouver. If you are confident and competant then that is what is expected of you in the exam and was what I was told by my examiner prior to my test!

Ducatista
29-09-09, 08:51 AM
Hey, I wasn't having a go at anyone (and tried real hard to point that out).
All I was saying is that it's now a different test, and this one might be harder to do without specific instruction.
Not because of anything to do with ability, but because there are specific things you have to do.
That's all.

Roll_on
29-09-09, 09:31 AM
I have been riding for 30 years and I think if I had to take the new test I would want instruction so I would at least know what was expected.

BB
29-09-09, 12:45 PM
I have been riding for 30 years and I think if I had to take the new test I would want instruction so I would at least know what was expected.

Same for me too - although only 26 years riding experience! :)

BB

RichardJH
30-09-09, 04:40 PM
Here it is, I'm just doing what Sam is.

Whatever course you take the first thing you will do is a CBT, whether doing your A2 or DAS.

If you do your CBT first and get some experience on a 125 and then go in for your test they knock the money for the CBT off providing it is still valid.

If you do your A2 then you must wait 2 years on a 33 bhp bike before that licence changes to effectively a DAS, regardless of whether you turn 21 in that time or not.

If you do the DAS at 21 then as you know you can ride anything.