PDA

View Full Version : Planning on riding through winter?

Bikermouse
31-10-09, 09:14 PM
One of my fellow Curvy Riders was telling the girlies about this today and I thought it might be of interest to others.

http://www.allyearbiker.co.uk/Bike_Protection/index.html

kj

StreetHippo
01-11-09, 01:37 AM
Had mine done last week in Newbury, well worth the £60 and had a good chat with them as they are bikers too.
Will keep people posted as to how effective it is.
Stu 8-)

SupeRDel
01-11-09, 09:44 AM
You are paying someone to spray your bike with ACF-50. .:o

Classic bikers have been using the stuff for years.

You can buy a can on ebay for 15 quid and do it yourself. That one can will last all year as you need to touch up areas after cleaning

My missus always gets me a can for xmas

Davey
01-11-09, 09:54 AM
You can get ACF from GW's no need to order on tinterweb

SupeRDel
01-11-09, 09:55 AM
Club Discount.... ;)

Snowy
01-11-09, 10:20 AM
I buy 1 litre in liquid form which come with an aerosol bottle you pump up and use yourself. You can get these from loads of places on the internet for about 27 pounds plus postage. A trick is to warm it up first in hot water as the spray is finer.

One thing though, after a couple of outings the bike looks really dirty as the ACF50 holds the dirt but keeps the metalwork protected. If you need to see your bike shiney after every use in the wet, you will have to keep applying it over the winter.

It has a shelf life too as I understand it, which is 18 months and it starts to lose its effectivness from then on so don't buy too much you won't use.

StreetHippo
01-11-09, 01:30 PM
The difference is that they mist the ACF50 over the bike which covers all the hard to get to areas. I use ACF50 on my other bikes but it is difficult to get all over, like I say i'll keep you posted.
I have to use the bike as I haven't had a car for 9 years now ;)
All weathers, all year.
Stu 8-)

Snowy
01-11-09, 05:36 PM
I take a lot of the plastics off to gain access to everything. It probably takes me three times longer than a pro outfit but get the same job done.

StreetHippo
01-11-09, 08:25 PM
Beemerman you must have the patience of a saint!! I'm too lazy ;D
They cleaned the bike thoroughly, applied the ACF then polished it and re-lubed the chain, like I said we'll wait and see how it fairs over the winter.
Stu 8-)

finbar
01-11-09, 09:08 PM
As Ducatista says (on Mermaid Riders website IAM member and owner of a bright red Duc 695 Monster) I can treat peoples bikes but as it involves a lot of work it costs;

Initial clean

Dry

Removal of bodywork

Internal clean (if grubby)

Spray

Detail spray (all those bolts near to dangerous stuff, brakes and tyres etc)

Replace bodywork

Wash

polish

Lubricate cables, linkages and chain (to drive the water out)

Dry

Final buff

Which takes 3.5 to 4 hours. Treatment should last the winter if gentle cleaning is done(car shampoo and gentle hosing with cold water). If you jet wash, power wash and used degreasers... then not. I am more than happy to give treated bikes a top up over winter for heavily used bikes (ACF50 comes off in high wash zones, check the website).

Basic clean and polish and treatment is £25

Full treatment as above £55

PM me if interested! :)

Kneedragger
02-11-09, 02:38 PM
ACF50 is certainly better then the scotoiler FS365. I have used both for a fair few winters and the FS365 is water based and comes off every time you get wet. The ACF50 is oil based and sticks a lot longer but watch out for the brakes when spraying it on.

Jon_W
02-11-09, 04:00 PM
I am the cheapest of the cheap... I preserve mine with cheap chain lube over the vunerable areas (exept exhaust). Once a month I wash it off and re-apply.

Simples! ;)

Geordie Stu
02-11-09, 04:49 PM
I usually strip of the plastics not that a Z750 has much Plastics to take off :)

I did it lat week
plastics, tank, seat, Mud Guards front & back hugger, brakes front & back.

Cleaned, polished, clean chain & re oil...!!

Then went out Saturday morning on a WABAM ride out, all dirty again :( back in the garage do it all again. Oh the joy od motorcycling ::) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]