PDA

View Full Version : Consultation on EU driving licence directive

ro
12-11-09, 05:50 PM
There are yet more changes required by the EU driving licence directive that we have to implement by 2011.

From Hansard 11 Nov 2009 (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmhansrd/cm091111/wmstext/91111m0002.htm#09111136000115):

* changes to the size categories of motorcycles, including a new medium-sized category;
* an increase from 21 to 24 in the minimum age for motorcyclists gaining direct access to the most powerful motorbikes;
* a new test or a training programme for younger motorcyclists wishing to progress in stages to the larger and more powerful machines (currently, unlimited access to all motorcycles is gained automatically after two years' experience on less powerful machines);

Uber Dave
12-11-09, 06:46 PM
When are they going to learn that simply just because they make you wait to get on a bigger bike does not and will not make people who want to speed from speeding. Besides which a 400cc bike can still go 100mph+ just takes longer getting there.

Where are the similar rules about car driving then? What at the moment (cost and insurance excluded) is stopping a 17 year old going out and buying a Veyron or Enzo? If they are doing this to bikes they should limit new car drivers to 1.0 cars for 2 years then allow them to 1.6 then 2.0 then unlimited, by which point they would be 25 and can go and buy a Impreza or something equally quick or quicker and actually have a concept of how to handle a quick car!

Bloody Europe

Jon_W
13-11-09, 02:49 PM
This also still fails to address the issue of the so called "Born Again" bikers who after 30 years decide to buy a R1 and fling themselves at the hedges...

I agree with the above. There is nowt in the rules to stop a learner driver from drivind a Ferrari on L plates... and there have been a few incidents (footballers I think) where newly qualified drivers have killed themselves in high powered cars.

There should be a CBT for cars... that is for sure.

As to these rules... seems daft.

igbell
17-11-09, 01:15 PM
Why do they pick on us??

Roll_on
17-11-09, 01:23 PM
There is already a limiting factor on young riders moving onto powerful bikes and that is the cost of insurance. Not many 20 year olds would get insurance on something like an R1

Geordie Stu
17-11-09, 01:25 PM
The measures are contained in a consultation on the implementation of new European requirements on driver testing, training, examination and licensing which come into force in 2013. Other motorists will not be affected.

The main aspects of the new requirements are:

•Motorcyclists – The current two categories of motorbike will be replaced with three – A1 (up to 125cc), A2 (up to 35Kw) and A (above 35Kw) - and new rules introduced for riders of larger bikes. Riders wanting to progress to larger categories of motorbikes will have to take additional training or a further test and there will be a rise in the minimum age from 21 to 24 for those wishing to start riding larger bikes without previous experience.

Which basically what Ro is saying just now by 2013

Robf
17-11-09, 04:10 PM
Does this mean i will be affected because i passed the test earlier this year and i'm only 17, i'm currently restricted to 33BHP for 2 years will i have to do a test to ride a bigger bike when this come into place?

Geordie Stu
17-11-09, 04:19 PM
Does this mean i will be affected because i passed the test earlier this year and i'm only 17, i'm currently restricted to 33BHP for 2 years will i have to do a test to ride a bigger bike when this come into place?

You should be OK as it states that people without experience, as you have already passed your test albeit on a restricted bike you should be able to take your test on a larger machine when you reach 19-20