PDA

View Full Version : Legal Off-Road in Salibury

Bennett
05-12-09, 10:09 AM
I was wondering if any of you knew a good green lane or off-road track around Salisbury?

Roll_on
05-12-09, 10:21 AM
There was a previous post on here about green laning on Salisbury Plains but not sure who placed it. It was in the last couple of months so a good search should find it.

Bennett
05-12-09, 10:30 AM
Alright, thanks, ill have a peak :)

Bennett
05-12-09, 10:51 AM
Can't find it, even with "Search"

Davey
05-12-09, 12:36 PM
Jaydee is the man to speak to ref salisbury and off roading!

Bennett
05-12-09, 12:37 PM
Alright, Thanks, Ill get on it :P

alanTDM
05-12-09, 07:32 PM
First of all you will need a Ordnance Survey map No 184 "Salisbury and the Plain".This will show you all the Byways and Footpaths etc.
A lot has changed over the last 5-10 years so the map might be out of date regarding where you can ride etc due to when it was printed ,but " DO NOT RIDE ON FOOTPATHS" cause if your caught you could say bye bye to your bike.Trail riding on green lanes your bike has to conform to the Legal requirements of a ordinary roads,Tax etc.
The laws of where you can and cannot ride has changed dramatically due to environment issues. You can get info about wilts rights of way and trail riding here http://www.wiltshiretrf.co.uk ring there area rep Vic Price.
Dont go out alone! always go with another rider.

Bennett
06-12-09, 01:53 PM
Alright, thanks.. where can I buy them? :-[

Davey
06-12-09, 02:19 PM
Alright, thanks.. where can I buy them? :-[

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=ordnance+survey+maps+onli ne&meta=&aq=1s&oq=ordinance+ book shops, camping shops or some off roading shops inc mountain biking

BB
06-12-09, 03:05 PM
Any decent bookshop should be able to order you maps or as Stu said off roading/camping shops.

The TRF are the ones to join or you could also have a look at http://www.throttlemonkey.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=59 These guys are national but also do some rideouts over the plains & around the western area. The Muddymonkeys are also part of the TRF.

Ghost & I plus a few others do the odd ramble over Salisbury plain with Classic bikes. I would just say clean your bike off pronto when you get back as that wet chalk/slurry sets like cement! :D

BB

Bennett
06-12-09, 03:05 PM
Just bought me one, thanks :)

jonnydangerous
07-12-09, 02:09 PM
Bennett.....
youve got the map, now you need to go to the local library that stocks a "definitive map" of the area, these contain ammendments made since your map was printed. if you ride somewhere you shouldnt, an unmarked (even new) OS map wont keep you out of trouble...
ive PM'd you about a trip out sometime...

offroading is good :-) less traffic, you go slower, tyres are cheaper, and when you fall off theres loads of soft mud to land in :-)

give me a shout sometime, or put your name down on the thread ive started in the rideout section......

cheers :-)

Stu: we must get out on the plain sometime soon mate :-)

Davey
07-12-09, 08:56 PM
Stu: we must get out on the plain sometime soon mate :-)

That we will - I won't be on knobblies but that don't matter lol