PDA

View Full Version : Police video bike in Avon & Somerset

Mark_Sullivan
04-12-09, 05:11 PM
Just got sent these links from a biker mate - when travelling in Avon & Somerset Police area – if there’s a silver/grey BM R1200 RT behind you, look twice & look again before winding it on – you could be on tape ! :o

Obviously, if you are under the limit and driving safe no probs! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8377577.stm

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/Avon--Somerset-Police-camera-bike/?&R=EPI-120371

Roll_on
04-12-09, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that info I do travel in that area often have to keep a look out.

crewy
04-12-09, 08:08 PM
This was on the local news a few weeks ago, think they said they were gonna trial it for 6 months and if it proves to work they will buy more of them

Geordie Stu
07-12-09, 09:13 AM
As long as they use as they state.

"A motorcycle equipped with a video camera is to be used by police aiming to educate bikers and cut deaths on Somerset's roads."

We live in hope that the police do use only to educate & not prosecute. :-?

Jon_W
08-12-09, 08:02 AM
Am with the above.

As long as the aproach is balanced then I can't see a problem and it may even be good by catching the to**ers who give motorcycling a bad name.

Just as long as it dosen't become another mobile speed trap to go with the cars and vans already out and about.

igbell
08-12-09, 09:51 AM
Oh come who are you kidding??
Of course they will use it to catch anybody and for anything, they wont spend that much money on a bike and then not use it for anything they can, come on they are being asked to fork out for there own kit now so why would they spend 12k or whatever on a bike and then the rest on cameras and so on just to catch the naughty wheelie boys and such.

Kevinb
08-12-09, 01:00 PM
If you don't speed then you will be ok.
That's me stuffed then ;D
I always like racing the intercity 125 along the Keynsham bypass.

jj
08-12-09, 06:10 PM
agree with igbell all it will be used for is to raise cash, dont believe a word they say just a mobile speed camera

Jon_W
09-12-09, 01:31 PM
Of course it can be used as a speed camera, it can be used to catch idiotic car drivers as well. So can all highway patrol cars. However if money is all the fuzz are worring about it is a tremendous waste to spend all that on what amounts to an un-marked patrol bike. A speed camera van would make greater revenue...

Am no saint myself, but I think that hostility is the wrong way to go. Cameras catch speeders but miss tail-gating, mobile phones, erratic behaviour etc... these need patrol vehicles and coppers with a bit of common sense.