PDA

View Full Version : helmet painting??

ollie
14-12-09, 05:00 PM
feel free to move the thread if its not meant to be here. does anyone know what you need to do to paint your own helmet. i know you gotta sand it down and cover all holes etc. any help or advise will be thanked for. oh i do know of a painter (not really good but will do) that will do it for a good price.

ZZR600Dude
14-12-09, 05:15 PM
I thought you weren't supposed to put stickers let alone paint on your helmet due to the fact the solvents used can affect the performance of the helmet material

:o

bubblylittleme
14-12-09, 05:25 PM
check this out...lots of others on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIb6EbA7j8c

ZZR600Dude
14-12-09, 06:10 PM
It doesnt mean its safe though:

http://www.best-motorcycle-information.com/motorcycle-helmets.html

see part on taking care of your helmet.

or

http://www.zeus-helmets.co.uk/zeus-faq.html

see modifying your helmet.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090322073948AAtQCLp

http://www.rideforever.co.nz/gear_up/choose_helmets.html

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic367804-22-1.aspx#bm370872
see the quote as follows:

Before I did what i do now I spent 25 years working in the plastics industry and therefore I do have a modicum of experience in the polymer field.

Polycarbonate is the generic name for names like Lexan and Perspex which are the materials that cheap lids are injection moulded.

PC has a low chemical resistance to chemicals like acetate, acetone, benzene, ketones etc. which are often found in paints and sticker adhesives.

It's the easiest way to turn your lid into an eggshell

I personally wouldnt do it
:(

ollie
14-12-09, 06:47 PM
i know i shouldnt do it myself but funds are running a little low at mo but i'll make sure i do a proper job but its only for a race helmet so doesnt have to be a decent job. and thanks for the links

Scotty
14-12-09, 07:19 PM
i know i shouldnt do it myself but funds are running a little low at mo but i'll make sure i do a proper job but its only for a race helmet so doesnt have to be a decent job. and thanks for the links
Only for a race helmet...??? :-? Isn't that a little more likely to get bounced down the tarmac?
Having said that, if it's a newer helmet of non-polycarbonate material, then painting it should be less of an issue. Are you going to ask the ACU for another Gold Star so it'll pass scrotineering?
A tip to stand out when racing - go for a strong bright single colour on your lid, not a pattern. I noticed Steve Hislop's yellow lid really made him easy to spot from across the other side of Donington Park, so I had mine sprayed bright yellow (following a visit to the gravel trap at Brands leaving it all scratched ::)) and everyone said it was dead easy to see, makes you stand out among other riders (having a bright green bike helped as well, mind [smiley=thumbsup.gif])

Davey
14-12-09, 08:09 PM
For race helmet I'd go for white - normally the cheapest and also stands out well (What helped Gino Rea noticed for sponsorship!)

Personally I'd save your money for more track time/ tuition as you don't want to be an 'all the gear' stereotype

spudgun
14-12-09, 10:15 PM
check on manufacturers website that the helmet is allowed to be painted, some will void any warranty, others say it's ok.

i always use waterbased paint wherever possible, but it has to be coated with a 2K laquer at the end!

ref the acu gold sticker, simply mask it off!

SupeRDel
15-12-09, 06:25 AM
Mine was done by a mate in the AC club - see pic on left

jonnydangerous
15-12-09, 09:36 AM
i have a spare ACU sticker, but unfortunately thats going on a special project of mine.... ;-)
i will ask my mate if he still has the roll of stickers tho... :-)

ollie
15-12-09, 02:29 PM
scotty: yeah thats why im doing it my self so i dont feel gutted bout the money spent on the lid.

im not one for all the details in helmets since no one see's it up close anyway so gonna be a simple wavy sorta design with two colours.

i've never been all the gear no idea bloke since i came a reasonable 2nd in a championship last year in only my seccond race season :)
not yet checked kbc's website yet but will do soon and where abouts can you get 2k laquer?

p.s the helmet in my pic is the one im spraying

Davey
15-12-09, 03:17 PM
i've never been all the gear no idea bloke since i came a reasonable 2nd in a championship last year in only my seccond race season :)

I don't know what class, level or enteries but well done

But still stick by what I said - not needed at this stage! Get more tuition as you didn't win! ;)

ollie
15-12-09, 03:29 PM
haha not bad for 2nd year mind. it was classic 200cc 2stoke class in classic racing. but yeah im thinking of doing ron haslem or california race schools if i can but need funds for racing.

Thorkill_The_Tall
15-12-09, 07:58 PM
You know what makes me chuckle when this subject comes around again?
You always get someone saying you shouldn't put stickers on your helmet.
The bloody things are covered with them when you buy them in the first place. ACU stickers, size stickers, BS stickers, manufacturers' graphics, the list is near endless.
Or do they all use special, magic glue direct from the Pritt Stick fairy?

I don't think it is wise to paint a polycarb. helmet, (unless, of course, there have been significant, technological advances since the seventies) but today's modern composites should be perfectly ok.

Ask yourself another thing; Would race teams paint their riders' helmets if it compromised the performance?

I for one always take all the stickers off my helmets.
Just free advertising for the cheeky sods.
That goes for the poxy ACU gold sticker too.

Davey
15-12-09, 10:18 PM

Why not just buy a plain helmet in the first place? ::) Decent helmets with graphics will have the stickers laquered over (apart from the ACU one) so not possible to take off (unless you mean the one on the visor......that should be removed before riding :D ).

poxy ACU sticker is required for racing and pointless removing as not exactly advertising is it :-/ But then again your lid so do what you want - hacksaw a big cris-cross in it to all I care ;)

Thorkill_The_Tall
16-12-09, 12:07 AM
For a start, I always buy plain helmets. I prefer to leave the gaudy ones to the power ranger types with the knee sliders. Whatever keeps them happy is quite ok with me.
From what I remember, the question concerned non-standard painting, or possibly the use of self applied stickers, not factory produced graphics, so I fail to understand the relevence of this comment.

It depends how you define 'advertising'. I for one don't need some little sticker from a bunch of self appointed, self-righteous sporting body to convince me that my helmet is good enough for me to use on the road.
Would you use slicks on the road? They've probably been approved by the ACU as well.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. 'It's my helmet and I'll do what I want with it' more or less sums up my point.

Davey
16-12-09, 08:37 AM
For a start, I always buy plain helmets. I prefer to leave the gaudy ones to the power ranger types with the knee sliders. Whatever keeps them happy is quite ok with me.
From what I remember, the question concerned non-standard painting, or possibly the use of self applied stickers, not factory produced graphics, so I fail to understand the relevence of this comment.

It depends how you define 'advertising'. I for one don't need some little sticker from a bunch of self appointed, self-righteous sporting body to convince me that my helmet is good enough for me to use on the road.
Would you use slicks on the road? They've probably been approved by the ACU as well.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious. 'It's my helmet and I'll do what I want with it' more or less sums up my point.

Your the one that went on about removal of all stickers etc on your lid so off point from the painting - but being plural yet only 1 ACU gold stickered wondered what else you were removing and why you didn't just buy a plain one (of which you answered ::) )

and to answer your question no I wouldn't use slicks on the road as they're not road legal but for 'race use only' I would go further into reasons but off topic and prob over your head anyway as you seem to only just grasped the principle of the wheel rotating let alone getting technical :D

As for these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies you speak of have done a lot working alongside the manufacturers etc to imporove the safety of riders whether on the road or track. Just look at the improvements in kit over the years and I'm quite thankful to these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies

ONFIRE
16-12-09, 10:21 AM

Why not just buy a plain helmet in the first place? ::) Decent helmets with graphics will have the stickers laquered over (apart from the ACU one) so not possible to take off (unless you mean the one on the visor......that should be removed before riding :D ).

poxy ACU sticker is required for racing and pointless removing as not exactly advertising is it :-/ But then again your lid so do what you want - hacksaw a big cris-cross in it to all I care ;)

Hey Power Ranger or should I say Gedi :D Isn't that Gold sticker thingy on the back of the Helmet (or one of the stickers) a legal requirement for the Road :o Something to do with the Helmet has passed a certain standard approval for road use :P

ollie
16-12-09, 02:06 PM
the gold ACU sticker is to say the helmet has passed all requirments for saftey and is fit to use on a race track. its not legal to have the sticker on your helmet for the road but i make sure its got it to be safe.

ZZR600Dude
16-12-09, 02:21 PM
Or do they all use special, magic glue direct from the Pritt Stick fairy?

No but the manufacturers will make certain that the glue used on the stickers they allow on their helmets doesnt affect the material.

Thorkill_The_Tall
16-12-09, 03:49 PM
Your the one that went on about removal of all stickers etc on your lid so off point from the painting - but being plural yet only 1 ACU gold stickered wondered what else you were removing and why you didn't just buy a plain one (of which you answered ::) )

and to answer your question no I wouldn't use slicks on the road as they're not road legal but for 'race use only' I would go further into reasons but off topic and prob over your head anyway as you seem to only just grasped the principle of the wheel rotating let alone getting technical :D

As for these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies you speak of have done a lot working alongside the manufacturers etc to imporove the safety of riders whether on the road or track. Just look at the improvements in kit over the years and I'm quite thankful to these self appointed, self-righteous sporting bodies
If you can tear yourself away from your Janet and John book and read post #2, you will see that the reference to stickers was brought up by somebody else. Then go and check out any new helmet and you will also see that they usually carry a size sticker, a BS sticker and an ACU sticker at they very least, hence my use of a plural.
You seem to be in awe of any group of people who set themselves up as guardians of mankind. If that's fine for you that's your prerogative. It is not, however, something I subscribe to as I object to being dictated to by ne'er-do-wells. The difference between us is that I would not try and force my views on you or anybody else.

As I never bother to get into an argument with the mentally challenged, I refuse to rise to your amateurish attempt at trolling and respond to your rather childish 'wheel' comment. I will just leave you to finish masturbating over your ACU calendar ;)

Davey
16-12-09, 04:16 PM
Thor you really are a pillock at times - anyway I've advanced from Janet and John and now on the hairy caterpillar. You can borrow them once you've managed to handle crayons without eating them ;)

No I am not in awe of your so say guardians of mankind but do understand and respect hard work done to assist in the safety of riders. As I said before I couldn't give a toss what you do with your kit as your health not mine, nor to I force my views or opinions on others I may express my educated exerience but no-one has to listen - if you don't agree ignore me.....my misses does. Anyway they don't dictate for the road thats the BSi (the other sticker I forgot about!)

Please don't try a tar me with your brush - if you feel it nessesary or that desperate to masterbate over a calender I'm sure we can supply you with some more for next year. But rest assured I have never been low enough in self esteem to go that low!

Anyway I'm not mentally challeged may be special but definalty not mentally challeged 8-)

crewy
16-12-09, 05:02 PM
Thor, i know what u mean about taking the 3 or so stickers off that come on your helmet when you buy them, it bugs me to see them on there spoiling the paint scheme of the helmet. I for one am glad the test carried out by the ACU are the ones the helmets are tested by, as i dont believe the tests carried out by the government are as good, hence the reason my last 2 helmets cost nearer the top end of the market. But i dont see why they feel they have to put a sticker on the out side of the helmet

As for the original question, if i was you sunner, i would e mail the company who made your helmet and ask them what they think, at the end of the day what ever you decide to do i hope your helmet comes out like you want, and look forward to seeing some pictures of it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thorkill_The_Tall
16-12-09, 07:43 PM
I for one am glad the test carried out by the ACU are the ones the helmets are tested by, as i dont believe the tests carried out by the government are as good
When you say 'carried out by the government', are you refering to the British Standards Institute? Contrary to popular belief, the BSI is a private company and not controlled by Westminster.

There's the rub, if you have a private company who are responsible for providing profits for it's shareholders, how can they be relied on to provide and unbiased opinion? Maybe that's why Simpson Helmets, despite meeting the severely stringent requirements of the U.S. motorsport bodies, cannot get a kite mark for many of their helmets.

Before the hard of thought start breast-beating, not for one minute am I having a pop at the BSI, who have been providing an invaluable service for over 100 years. I am just pointing out that we do not have a totally unbiased testing procedure for our crash helmets. The government's TRL dances to whatever tune Westminster chooses to play, for another example.

Fugazi-p
16-12-09, 09:08 PM
Hi Sunner,
Get on ebay and look up item 330385827271, a DVD for prep, paint and clear coating helmets. £4.50, quite a few on at the mo.
Im trying to teach myself airbrushing and have bought a few instructional ones like these and found them helpful.
Small price to pay to save a potential disaster, its not as easy as it looks though bud, can spend ages going well and then the airbrush splatters >:( practice on an old one first [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
17-12-09, 12:20 AM
I for one am glad the test carried out by the ACU are the ones the helmets are tested by, as i dont believe the tests carried out by the government are as good
When you say 'carried out by the government', are you refering to the British Standards Institute? Contrary to popular belief, the BSI is a private company and not controlled by Westminster.

There's the rub, if you have a private company who are responsible for providing profits for it's shareholders, how can they be relied on to provide and unbiased opinion? Maybe that's why Simpson Helmets, despite meeting the severely stringent requirements of the U.S. motorsport bodies, cannot get a kite mark for many of their helmets.

Before the hard of thought start breast-beating, not for one minute am I having a pop at the BSI, who have been providing an invaluable service for over 100 years. I am just pointing out that we do not have a totally unbiased testing procedure for our crash helmets. The government's TRL dances to whatever tune Westminster chooses to play, for another example.

No i was talking about SHARP, now i now people have split views about this, but the ACU is a tried and tested test. And have been testing helmets for years. I have an Arai Corsair RX7 Edwards rep that cost me £450 and SHARP give it 3/5 stars, now no disrespect to anyone who may have one of these, but a £70 Nitro helmet beats it and gets 5/5 Stars Now how does that work?!?

A guy i play football with used to be a rep for shoei and arai helmets and he knows his stuff about helmets and he agrees with me that there is know way a £70 helmet could have the development and protective qualities that a much higher priced helmet will

spudgun
17-12-09, 05:30 AM
Im trying to teach myself airbrushing and have bought a few instructional ones like these and found them helpful.
Small price to pay to save a potential disaster, its not as easy as it looks though bud, can spend ages going well and then the airbrush splatters >:( practice on an old one first [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

If you ever need any help/tips give me a shout, i've been learning for about 5 years now ;)
my latest piece
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/spudgun_01/Image023.jpg

Davey
17-12-09, 07:45 AM
If you ever need any help/tips give me a shout, i've been learning for about 5 years now ;)
my latest piece
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w21/spudgun_01/Image023.jpg

Bit of a square helmet ;D

Kurt Cobain was found dead on my 18th birthday :( We was out that night watching a nirvana tribute band - bit of useless info for you but never know may come up as a trivial pursuit question when I'm rich and famous ;)

igbell
17-12-09, 08:35 AM
Sorry who are you Stu??? ;D ;D ;D

Davey
17-12-09, 08:59 AM
Sorry who are you Stu??? ;D ;D ;D

See unknown now but.......................... when I'm rich and famous and when thats for the last cheese on the board you'll be thankful!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

igbell
17-12-09, 02:25 PM
Nah not cheese, you can keep those, now if it was meat that might be diferent.....

Thorkill_The_Tall
17-12-09, 04:15 PM
See below

Thorkill_The_Tall
17-12-09, 04:17 PM
No i was talking about SHARP, now i now people have split views about this, but the ACU is a tried and tested test. And have been testing helmets for years. I have an Arai Corsair RX7 Edwards rep that cost me £450 and SHARP give it 3/5 stars, now no disrespect to anyone who may have one of these, but a £70 Nitro helmet beats it and gets 5/5 Stars Now how does that work?!?

A guy i play football with used to be a rep for shoei and arai helmets and he knows his stuff about helmets and he agrees with me that there is know way a £70 helmet could have the development and protective qualities that a much higher priced helmet will

Thanks for the info, I'd not heard of this one, then again, it is quite new.
I hope they don't start putting a 'SHARP Approved' sticker on all new helmets ;)

More info here:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/about-sharp/

My helmet isn't even on their list, though.......

Fugazi-p
17-12-09, 08:19 PM
Hi Spudgun,
That is one amazing bit of artwork, dont think i could ever be that good.
If you wouldn't mind someone watching over you sometime then please give me a shout.
I take my hat off ta ya mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spudgun
17-12-09, 08:34 PM
feel free to ask for advice mate, or pop over and bring a reference picture, have a go at it over crimbo ;)