PDA

View Full Version : Accident Map

Thorkill_The_Tall
29-12-09, 08:12 PM
Interesting info.
Lose the pop-up, select Wiltshire and away you go........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8401344.stm

BB
31-12-09, 03:12 PM
Interesting.

BB

Mark_Able
05-01-10, 08:24 PM
Potterne to Andover looks pretty safe.

Sad to see, but we have to accept accidents do happen. Slowing drivers/riders down will make little difference. Better driver education is the answer. We probably all know someone who seems to have an accident every other week, but we also probably know someone who has an accident free record. We probably all know someone who should do their test again (probably because we know they'd fail). We probably know someone who is reckless, and will eventually have a big one. The licencing system needs to change. I doubt anyone will agree but, nobody should be able to pass the test and ride/drive for life. There should be at least a basic assessment say every five years, to weed out the blind/incompetent/reckless drivers.

Oops, I seem to have fallen off my soapbox... :-[

Scotty
05-01-10, 11:05 PM
Good point though. Maybe doing something like BikeSafe with the old bill should be compulsory, and on their discretion anyone that they feel isn't up to a decent standard should be sent for further training and a re-test within a certain period, and if they fail the test, start again with the L-plates. Not that this should be limited to bike riders, far from it, maybe applicable to all road users.
Just a thought, late at night.... :-?

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-01-10, 12:31 AM
The licencing system needs to change. I doubt anyone will agree but, nobody should be able to pass the test and ride/drive for life. There should be at least a basic assessment say every five years, to weed out the blind/incompetent/reckless drivers.

[

I suppose this point of view has nothing to do with your chosen occupation at all, has it.......

Be very careful what you wish for.

Roll_on
06-01-10, 09:27 AM
Lets not forget many of the accidents involving bikes are the result of bad driving by those in cars and vans even trucks so what about them being made to take bike awareness courses.

Mark_Able
06-01-10, 10:05 AM
The licencing system needs to change. I doubt anyone will agree but, nobody should be able to pass the test and ride/drive for life. There should be at least a basic assessment say every five years, to weed out the blind/incompetent/reckless drivers.

[

I suppose this point of view has nothing to do with your chosen occupation at all, has it.......

Not at all. I've lost friends over the years, some by their own reckless actions, and some by other road users actions. It makes me mad to see incompetent drivers/riders on the road. Surely, when you're out on your bike on a sunny sunday, and you see a long queue of traffic behind a certain vehicle, and the driver of that vehicle can barely see over the steering wheel, let alone see the end of the bonnet, and everyone behind getting impatient and trying dodgy over-takes, that driver should be reassessed? When statistics say that one third of drivers would fail the eye sight test, surely that by itself is just cause for reassessment? When you see vehicles (mainly car drivers) dealing with junction after junction without indicating their intentions? Doesn't it drive you mad?

Mark_Able
06-01-10, 10:07 AM
Lets not forget many of the accidents involving bikes are the result of bad driving by those in cars and vans even trucks so what about them being made to take bike awareness courses.

I was including ALL road users in my comments. What ever vehicle you are in control of, you need to demonstrate competency... ;)

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-01-10, 11:26 AM

[

Not at all. I've lost friends over the years, some by their own reckless actions, and some by other road users actions. It makes me mad to see incompetent drivers/riders on the road. Surely, when you're out on your bike on a sunny sunday, and you see a long queue of traffic behind a certain vehicle, and the driver of that vehicle can barely see over the steering wheel, let alone see the end of the bonnet, and everyone behind getting impatient and trying dodgy over-takes, that driver should be reassessed? When statistics say that one third of drivers would fail the eye sight test, surely that by itself is just cause for reassessment? When you see vehicles (mainly car drivers) dealing with junction after junction without indicating their intentions? Doesn't it drive you mad?

Sorry Able, I'd sort of assumed you were advocating a compulsory driving retest after every five years, not just a eye test.
I get my eyes checked every year. I don't think that's excessive.

Mark_Able
06-01-10, 03:45 PM

[

Sorry Able, I'd sort of assumed you were advocating a compulsory driving retest after every five years, not just a eye test.
I get my eyes checked every year. I don't think that's excessive.

Everything should be reassessed. Driving ability, eyesight, etc. I'm not an examiner, I'm an instructor. Examiners will be the one's who gain from such a move. I just want to see better drivers mate. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thorkill_The_Tall
06-01-10, 04:01 PM
Everything should be reassessed. Driving ability, eyesight, etc. I'm not an examiner, I'm an instructor. Examiners will be the one's who gain from such a move. I just want to see better drivers mate. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ah, so I will have to disagree after all.

Maybe in the aftermath of a blameworthy accident, maybe, but why for those who have a blemish free record?

Personally, I have not had an off for nigh on 25 years, so surely that must mean I'm doing something right. I'm getting just a little sick and tired of being penalised because of the brainless minority.

If I were forced to have a re-assesment, I'd probably tell 'em to stuff it, and buy a horse - no test, insurance, tax, mot and probably cheaper to run than a modern UJM.

Mark_Able
06-01-10, 04:14 PM

Ah, so I will have to disagree after all.

Maybe in the aftermath of a blameworthy accident, maybe, but why for those who have a blemish free record?

Personally, I have not had an off for nigh on 25 years, so surely that must mean I'm doing something right. I'm getting just a little sick and tired of being penalised because of the brainless minority.

If I were forced to have a re-assesment, I'd probably tell 'em to stuff it, and buy a horse - no test, insurance, tax, mot and probably cheaper to run than a modern UJM.

But you're only thinking of your driving record. How many drivers do you see on the road that need to be reassessed? If your driving record is good, you won't have anything to worry about. Not many people have regular eye sight tests. If I had my way, horse riders would also be insured and tested.

It won't happen anyway, so no need to fret... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]