PDA

View Full Version : riding in this weather

nick1987
06-01-10, 08:37 PM
my bike is my only form of transport, cos the wife's got the car, and i've only had it since the spring so have no experience riding in these sort of conditions.
have had a month off and don't have to use it until monday so hoping the roads will be a bit clearer by then.
just wondering if any of you could offer any advice?
thanks

nick

alanTDM
06-01-10, 09:15 PM
Im in the same situation as you,i have a country lane to get along if it is not iced up, if it is i wont been going to work,If its got a layer of soft snow on it makes it a bit easier,but avoid car tracks as they are icy/slippery if you can.Estate roads can be ridden with the bike upright no leaning at all on corners or your picking yourself up off the road,dont use the front brake and only the rear very lightly with engine braking
Best to avoid 1st gear and accelerate slowly using 2nd/3rd Oh yea! and allow your self about 50yds to stop :)
Im waiting to get my Enduro/Trail bike going,needs a Bridgestone ED663 :) then if i drop that i aint going to be fussed but the TDM :'( :-[ bit heavy for this sort of weather.
think its a heavy snowfall predicted for Sunday >:( :(

nick1987
06-01-10, 09:30 PM
oh dear, not out of the woods yet then, thought the snow might be subsiding.
looks like i may be running to work!
thanks for the tips

StreetHippo
06-01-10, 09:57 PM
Use several thin layers instead of one thick one. Don't be afraid to wear long johns (or your birds tights - we won't tell ::))
Leave early and don't rush, and when you hit a "clear" road - don't relax and think it's alright, you are about to meet ice!
Other than that it's a peice of piss ;)
Stu

Davey
06-01-10, 10:23 PM
Phone work pull a snow day! If not just take it steady, be confident and don't over react!

Or buy a supermoto go balls out and don't worry as they bounce well (mine even has heated grips)

Oh yeah.....stay warm love your long johns

Kevinb
07-01-10, 09:06 AM
Take it steady. As others have said keep it upright, keep your feet out to balance until you get on to main roads.
Best thing though is not to ride it. If you have public transport running. Use it instead. Better they prang a bus than you prang your bike.

FJ_Biker
07-01-10, 10:57 AM
Don’t use your front brake, take it slow and wrap up warm.

Geordie Stu
07-01-10, 12:17 PM
Don't use front brake if at all possible. Use your gears & engine speed to brake. Remember the 2 second rule but in this weather make it 5 or more.

More expensive option buy a Quad bike

igbell
07-01-10, 01:26 PM
As kev said dont use the bike go by bus or such, I did it once coming back from Didcot and I had to ride the whole way with my feet on the ground, new boots were in order after that and it took me about 4hours to do a ride I could do in 50 mins in the dry.

Kevinb
07-01-10, 01:53 PM
As kev said dont use the bike go by bus or such, I did it once coming back from Didcot and I had to ride the whole way with my feet on the ground, new boots were in order after that and it took me about 4hours to do a ride I could do in 50 mins in the dry.

I did it years a go. Got all the way home, but stupidly touched the front brakes on my Suzuki GS850 at less than walking pace. Dent in the tank from the clip ons which also bent.

Mark_Able
07-01-10, 07:55 PM
Totally agree, take the bus. If you have no choice but to ride, the advice offered so far is spot on. Only one further thing, if you can, stay relaxed! I know that's not easy when you're aware the conditions ain't great, but you'll get a better feel for what grip you've got (or haven't) if you can stay relaxed on the bars... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
07-01-10, 07:56 PM
Wow you guys are brave, I have had to leave the car at home as it was too difficult to get it back up the hill to my house in Salisbury, never mind my bike.

Do you have public transport near you, may be an inconvenience but may save a smashed up bike.

:-/

Jon_W
08-01-10, 08:27 AM
Advice for riding in this:

Don't!! It really isn't worth it!!!

Get the bus/train/a lift/walk/fly... either that or pull a snow day...

I'm sure your work would rather you took a few days now that a few weeks to mend a broken leg/shoulder... etc..

jonnydangerous
11-01-10, 02:39 PM
get an offroader.....
me and ryan went out for about 4 hours across Salisbury plain on Sunday, neither of us fell off!
Ryan will post some photos hopefully this evening....

Jaydee

Ducatista
11-01-10, 02:56 PM
neither of us fell off!

Yeah, but you failed to mention, that was a first :D

Roll_on
11-01-10, 04:35 PM
get an offroader.....
me and ryan went out for about 4 hours across Salisbury plain on Sunday, neither of us fell off!
Ryan will post some photos hopefully this evening....

Jaydee
Good on you. An off roader is going to be my next bike but even that on smooth tarmac covered in ice is a no go.