PDA

View Full Version : Puncture

confuzzled1234
14-01-10, 07:46 PM
Had such a bad day today.

First the bike wouldn't start - turns out to be dead battery which i replaced

Secondly when i was about to go out for a ride i realised my rear tyre was flat! I had picked up a nail when i put the bike to sleep about 2 weeks ago! I have managed to pick up a nail >:(

Gonna phone Chippenham Motorcycles tommorow to ask them if they could repair it as its in the centre of my tyre and is tiny.

What a great day! :'(

Matt

BB
14-01-10, 08:47 PM
Bad luck Hope it's repairable if the tyre is still good. Expensive pain if not! :(

BB

confuzzled1234
14-01-10, 09:04 PM
Yer. Spoken to a mechanic friend and he seem to think I could get it repaired.

Fugazi-p
15-01-10, 01:27 PM
Sounds like it will be repairable. Bike treads in Swindon are also good bunch for puncture repairs. I had a similar puncture in a two week old tyre a couple of years ago, they fixed it and it lasted until the tyre was worn out.
Hope all goes well for you.

Geordie Stu
15-01-10, 04:02 PM
Unlucky... Maybe use these tyres next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GScWPb8qcng

confuzzled1234
15-01-10, 09:06 PM
Thinking about buying some slime to add to the tyres though. Will help protect it for the future! What does everybody recommend to carry to help out with punctures.

bobf279
16-01-10, 11:00 AM
I put puncture safe in mine after having to replace a nearly new rear for one nail hole.

Thorkill_The_Tall
16-01-10, 07:03 PM
Thinking about buying some slime to add to the tyres though. Will help protect it for the future! What does everybody recommend to carry to help out with punctures.

Be very careful which of these anti-puncture products you choose.

The last time I looked, 'Slime' recomended that when your tyre is punctured, you should not exceed about 50mph untill you either change the tyre or have it repaired.
The other thing to check for is what maximum BHP the manufacturer claims their product is safe to use at. Once again, the last time I looked, Slime's was set quite low.
Ultraseal, on the other hand, claim that their product is safe up to about 180 mph and 150 BHP, even after activation. (this is from memory, so don't quote me)

Another thing: always tell your tyre fitter if you've used either of this stuff.
There's nothing worse than an unexpected deluge of gloop when you remove a tyre.

I don't work for Ultraseal, by the way.

Just as a point of interest, isn't it illegal to repair (plug) a 'Z' rated tyre?
Many garages refuse to repair them.

bobf279
16-01-10, 07:59 PM
Yes you are right TTT they wouldn't repair my Z rated tyre hence I needed a new one. Punturesafe and ultraseal are similar products, I thought slime was for push bikes.

confuzzled1234
16-01-10, 08:46 PM
Slime have released a product for motorbikes http://www.slime.com/docs/view_image.php?id=671&width=564.5714285714286 Thinking about carrying some form of repair kit now after this experience.

Matt