PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problem - Best place to get it sorted

crewy
30-12-09, 12:42 AM
Hi all, got an electrical problem on the ducati, it is currently draining 98amps from the battery when the bike is just sat in the garage. Nothing is on it that could be left on when the key is out of the ignition.

I'm not one for having the patients to go checking all the wires to solve the problem, so i am wondering if anyone knows somewhere i could take the bike to get fixed where they are good with electrics?

Thorkill_The_Tall
30-12-09, 06:02 PM
Where are you?

The usual questions:
What bike is it?
Do you have an alarm? If so, what sort?

Roll_on
30-12-09, 06:53 PM
Only thing you can leave on by mistake is the parking lights they come on when the key is turned full to the left and being Ducati lights you may not notice them on in a brightly lighted garage.

crewy
30-12-09, 08:06 PM
No alarm on it i took that off cus the previous owner cut the wires in the alarm box cus the fob broke.

Lights are not left on either, that was one of the first things i checked.

Being a Ducati 916 its not famous for having the best electrical system on it, any ideas where to take the bike to get sorted that know there stuff?

Thorkill_The_Tall
30-12-09, 09:20 PM
Ah - I din't see the list of bikes that's your signature :-[

Assuming you are in the western side of the county, I would give these people (http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/find_us.htm) a call.
They seem to have a good reputation.

Roll_on
30-12-09, 11:18 PM
No alarm on it i took that off cus the previous owner cut the wires in the alarm box cus the fob broke.

Lights are not left on either, that was one of the first things i checked.

Being a Ducati 916 its not famous for having the best electrical system on it, any ideas where to take the bike to get sorted that know there stuff?
I have a friend who has worked as a bike race mechanic and he has done lots with the 916 I'll see him tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.

crewy
30-12-09, 11:19 PM
Thanks Thor, i was trying to remember the name of them, will give them a call in the new year.

Oh and by the way im in chippenham

Roll_on
31-12-09, 09:55 AM
First thing I think your reading of 98amps must be wrong do you mean milliamps ie .98 of an amp remembering a bike battery is not that big and at 98amps draw would be flat in a few mins or less.
Ok my mate says first check is the ignition switch for a short to earth, next it could be a relay so he is checking the wiring diagrames he has before making a suggestion so I will get back to you. Suggest you recheck the drain on the battery.

crewy
31-12-09, 11:42 AM
Sorry loudpipes yes i do mean milliamps. I put a new ignition switch on it in the middle of the summer, and i have had this problem since i got the bike last december, i just put it down to the alarm system that i mentioned had been cut by the previous owner.

I will check the relay though as i did have a slight problem with it, but i gave it a tap and it has worked fine since then.

Cheers

Jon_W
08-01-10, 08:38 AM
Best things to do is to pull the fuses out one by one until the current drops... That tells you where the problem is... then just finding the cause...

Roll_on
09-01-10, 11:52 AM
Thinking about your last post you said the alarm wires were cut have they been totally removed now or could there still be a cut live feed left that could be touching anything causing a leak to earth.

crewy
09-01-10, 02:44 PM
Jon - Tried all the fuses when i first noticed the problem, nothing changed on the multi meter reading

Loudpipes - the wires that were cut were in the alarm unit it self, so the rest of the wires that connect to everything else on the bike are from the main wiring loom its self.

Thanks for the ideas though

Roll_on
09-01-10, 03:52 PM
Is there still a live feed to the alarm?

crewy
10-01-10, 12:07 AM
No there is nothing on the bike to do with the alarm system, the positive and negative battery connections that ran from the alarm were connected to the battery leads and when i took the alarm off i followed th wire from there

Roll_on
10-01-10, 09:41 AM
Are you coming to the Christmas meal today your electrical problem is getting me determined to find a solution to.

crewy
10-01-10, 09:56 AM
Im afraid i wont be at the meal mate, bit skint till i get paid next week

Roll_on
10-01-10, 10:17 AM
Never mind will have to take a closer look at your 916 sometime mean while I'll keep thinking.

Jon_W
11-01-10, 11:03 AM
Would be tempted to look at the starter motor and solenoid... could be leaking throught them.

marcmywordz
31-01-10, 10:29 PM
Autoelectrix in swindon will find this for you... great bunch of guys well into thier bikes.. ask for Andy or Marcus