PDA

View Full Version : Rider to Pillion Intercoms

Dabz
03-01-10, 11:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone uses a rider to pillion intercom..if so, what have you got and is it any good? With Hazel-nut coming pillion now it'd be good to be able to talk while riding. I've found some bluetooth ones on ebay for £99, look quite good and bluetooth appeals because there'd be less wires. Can also find some (like the lidl's ones) for £9.99 though I don't know if they'd actually be any good or not!

Robf
03-01-10, 01:23 PM
me and my dad have bike to bike intercom that works upto 500m away, from scalarider think it's £200 a set, but i think theres a cheaper one for pillion and i'd recommend them as i haven't had a problem with them.

Dabz
03-01-10, 01:41 PM
i have 2 motorolla radios now i think of it...expensive ones with a 3km range. maybe you can get things to work with these?

Robf
03-01-10, 01:52 PM
could do simular to what able training do with there radios with the earpiece and microphone

Dabz
03-01-10, 01:58 PM
yeh that'd be good - mine are motorolla T5522's but I can only find earpieces with press-to-talk mics in so far which is no good :/

Robf
03-01-10, 02:33 PM
surely you just change the settings on the radio it's self to auto pickup the sound

Roll_on
03-01-10, 05:33 PM
I use scala rider Q2 and I bought a multiset which gets you 2 Q2 sets. With the Q2 sets you can match them to non Q2 for rider to pillion or with a multiset you can go bike to bike up to 500m
The rider Q2 headset also has built in FM radio is all bluetooth so no wires and it handles coms with a sat nav perfectly there are some good deals being offered on e-bay at the mo.

bobf279
04-01-10, 08:55 PM
I can recommend the scala q2 for bike to bike and rider to pillion, my lad (Rob) and I use them all the time. You can also connect a phone or a satnav. I previously used the teamset which is only good for rider to pillion. Both are bluetooth with speakers that fit in the helmet lining, no wires, no PTT just talk n go. (And no I don't have scala shares lol)

Mark_Able
05-01-10, 09:48 PM
Lee gets our latest radios from Maplin. They're very good, and cheap too (about £35 a radio). There's loads of settings too. I have mine set for VOX, so soon as I talk it opens the channel. The only thing is, you have to know what you are going to say before you talk, and you need to take a deep breath. If you hesitate at any point, the radio closes the channel. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

geocr
05-01-10, 10:55 PM
Hi We have two bluetooth set fitted inside our Caberg helmets and they work great, no point talking over 80 though, theres to much back ground noise. Prior to these we had a cheep wired Oxford set that worked very well and I have recommended these to freinds. Geo

igbell
07-01-10, 02:30 PM
I use a Starcom1 unit and have had no issues with it, you put sat nav phone MP3 player to it and works at over 100mph as well

Kevinb
07-01-10, 02:57 PM
Don't use intercom. We prefer the odd tap or squeeze on the legs. Less distracting and much more fun

Mark_Able
07-01-10, 08:58 PM
Don't use intercom. We prefer the odd tap or squeeze on the legs. Less distracting and much more fun

I must admit, I once ordered a 'Backchat' system, and then tried it out with one of the lady instructors when I was working in Poole. It worked a treat up to about 75mph. But then I thought for a while when I got back, and decided I didn't want to hear my pillion. So I sent it back and got a refund! ;)

Roll_on
07-01-10, 11:20 PM
Dabz I can bring my Carla Rider Q2 set with on Sunday if you would like to have a look.

Dabz
17-01-10, 10:13 PM
think I've decided on the Oxford Bike Mike 4 - seems to do what I need, nice and small, the version 4 is digital with noise reductions etc and isn't a bad price. Have read some good reviews...unless anyone has used one and knows otherwise?

Jon_W
26-01-10, 04:15 PM

I have a system of taps with my girlfriend... I'll tap her as a warning... she'll kidney punch me if I do somthing wrong!!!

Dabz
26-01-10, 05:02 PM
I've ordered an oxford bikemike 4 in the end :)

SupeRDel
14-02-10, 09:35 AM
I tried out one of them cheap Lidls jobbies a few yeas back. They had them for 4.99

Actually worked well up to 70. Wind moise over the mic was the biggest problem. The foam covers would fall off easily so they were tapped on.

For the price, I could not complain. I don't do enough miles two up to warrant more.

Dabz
14-02-10, 06:47 PM
used the BikeMike4 today on the ride-out - was excellent! needed it at full volume so we could still hear at high speeds but it was absolutely great, really happy with it -crystal clear sound and very little wind noise

Roxy
15-02-10, 09:49 AM

I have a system of taps with my girlfriend... I'll tap her as a warning... she'll kidney punch me if I do somthing wrong!!!

absolute classic!!!!! ;D ;D

roxy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]