PDA

View Full Version : KTM SX and EXC?

Bennett
18-02-10, 05:23 PM
So, what's the difference between the KTM SX and EXC series?

I'm quite new to bike specs but for my 17th I'm aloud a KTM so I can start properly MX Racing and Freestyle.

125cc SX

Engine type - Single cylinder, 2-stroke
Displacement - 124.8 cc
Bore x stroke - 54 x 54.5 mm (2.13 x 2.15")
Starter - Kickstarter
Transmission - 6 gears
Carburetor - Keihin PWK 38S AG
Control - Exhaust control
Lubrication - Mixture oil lubrication 1:40
Transmission oil - Motorex, SAE 15W50
Primary drive - 23:73
Final drive - 13:50
Cooling - Liquid cooling
Clutch - Wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically
Ignition - Kokusan

125cc EXC

Engine type - Single cylinder, 2-stroke
Displacement - 124.8 cc
Bore x stroke - 54 x 54.5 mm (2.13/2.15")
Starter - Kickstarter
Transmission - 6 gears
Carburetor - Keihin PWK 36 S AG
Control - Exhaust control
Lubrication - Mixture oil lubrication 1:60
Transmission oil - Motorex, SAE 15W-50
Primary drive - 23:73
Final drive - 14:42 (13:50)
Cooling - Liquid cooled
Clutch - Wet multi-disc clutch, operated hydraulically
Ignition - Kokusan

Thats probably too messy, so...

125cc SX - http://www.ktm.com/125-SX.30.19.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81
125cc EXC - http://www.ktm.com/125-EXC-Sixdays-Champions-Edition.35.19.html?&detailview=2&cHash=da62385a81

which one is best for MX Racing and Freestyle? I know thats a crazy question but. Hey, might aswell ask

ollie
18-02-10, 05:57 PM
i'd say sx as its the crosser and would be lighter. and easier to mod if you had to.

Bennett
18-02-10, 06:06 PM
Sweeeeet, thanks. Anyone else wants to offer their opinion, I'd love it. :)

UPDATE: Just realised, EXC has Head, Brake and Indicator lights, guessing this is Road Legal, hows it for all year riding?

ollie
18-02-10, 06:41 PM
no probs bud, exc is the enduro model so its road legal. you can put supermoto wheels in the exc and ta da you got a supermoto. in all honesty if you want a ktm for all year riding i wouldnt but ktm at 17 i would of loved it. but if you want it for motorcross and freestyle go the sx route, if you want it for road use as well go exc route. hoped i've helped

Davey
18-02-10, 07:26 PM
If you want any answer ref KTM's best pop along to the experts http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/

Why not Sunner - plenty do as long as maintained theres no issues - different models have different service intervals (plus its a bit more than just sticking 17" wheels on!)

Bennett
18-02-10, 09:42 PM
Yeah, thanks for the link. Great help. :D

ollie
18-02-10, 10:38 PM
stu- i know its more than sticking wheels in its differant wheel spacers etc..

Davey
19-02-10, 07:10 AM
stu- i know its more than sticking wheels in its differant wheel spacers etc..

you can put supermoto wheels in the exc and ta da you got a supermoto.

Well your response made it sound that easy

Bennett
19-02-10, 08:58 AM
okay, I posted on KTMForum. Got some great replies, I'll write them here incase someone else needs the info.

SX is better for Motocross
EXC is better for Enduro

Each can hold their own in each others sports.

Can be used all year round just up the maintenance.

jonnydangerous
19-02-10, 11:52 AM
is this new bike going to be your only means of transport???...
i think youd be better off "learning motocross and freestyle" on a cheaper bike....youll be falling off a lot! dont think buying a road bike that youre going to use on the road and then use at a motocross track is a good idea....the bikes get trashed quickly, and youll be forever maintaining it...youll also need a set of spare wheels and tyres, as on the track youll run full on MX knobblies, and they will last about 200 miles on the road if youre lucky....

buy an older MX bike and a bike for the road, but i wouldnt suggest that you should use one for both.....

maybe buy one for the road and use it for a bit of green laning, but not road and mx.........

as for the differences, the EXC will have a heavier flywheel to help generate power for lights and this also helps tame the motors power delivery slightly, the power will be less of a hit, and be much more tractible low down. the 2 mm smaller carb will also retreive some midrange, although slightly at the expense of top end power.

jaydee.

ollie
19-02-10, 12:14 PM
stu i was just saying you can put supermoto wheels in exc put didnt point out all the details to make it happen.

Bennett
19-02-10, 12:49 PM
Aye, thanks for the info JD. :D

Davey
19-02-10, 01:08 PM
stu i was just saying you can put supermoto wheels in exc put didnt point out all the details to make it happen.

As before - you still made it sound easy and I only said it wasn't that simple for bennets sake - get off your high horse and sit back down and play plastic bikes :P [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ollie
19-02-10, 01:22 PM
yeah true i did my fault. plastic bikes haha i'll stick to my rgv ;)