19-02-10, 01:59 PM
No, I'm about to cry, >:(

"Drive chain excessively loose [6.2.1d] **DANGEROUS**"
"Drive chain worn to excess [6.2.1e] **DANGEROUS**"
"Rear Drive chain sprocket worn to excess [6.2.1e] **DANGEROUS**"

:'( :'( :'(

Robf
19-02-10, 02:35 PM
shouldn't be too expensive to sort as i'm pretty sure all you'd have to do is get another chain and sprocket set and fit it, although if your not sure send it to a garage to do it.

Jon_W
19-02-10, 02:35 PM
Methinks you need to invest in a new chain and sprocket....

Nothing serious though!

Kevinb
19-02-10, 02:41 PM
That's not to drastic.
Always look on the bright side.

Ducatista
19-02-10, 03:10 PM
Is this one you are getting on the road or have you been riding it like that??

Bennett
19-02-10, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I got a spare I'll rip it off.

I been riding it a few months now but its second hand.

Geordie Stu
19-02-10, 03:55 PM
Easy enough to fix then you'll be back riding again [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
19-02-10, 03:58 PM
I would strongly recommend you get hold of an owners manual and start doing the regular checks required.
If you need help then please ask as I'm sure someone will be willing to help explain things.

When it says DANGEROUS what is means that if the chain came off, it could make a real mess of your flesh or even worse, get wrapped up round your wheel, come to an abrupt halt and throw you off into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
OK, I've got a vivd imagination, but they didn't write DANGEROUS three times for fun.

PLEASE start doing the necessary checks to make sure your bike is safe and ask us for help if you need it OK?

Bennett
19-02-10, 04:26 PM
Yeh, thanks a lot guys. :D

vtmike
19-02-10, 04:46 PM
when you get your chain etc, make sure to ask for heavy duty, dont go buying cheap rubbish that will only last less than 6 months

Bennett
19-02-10, 04:56 PM
Cool, thanks.

Hey guys,

I was just looking at my sprocket and its freaking shiny on the teeth.
I would agree that the chains real slack but the only problem with the sprocket is that some of the teeth are chipped a tad.

Ima go take some pictures.
Be right back.

Bennett
19-02-10, 05:18 PM
Here's some pictures.

First ones just to show you that to me, they arn't that worn out.

Second one, I've circled the Chip (In total there's only like 5, is that enough to kill me? :o)

Last ones the chain slack just to show I agree that I need a new chain and I need to take some links out.

Sorry focus is screwed, didn't ave the patience to modify my distance.

P.S. She's dirty I know, "didn't think that, that area would get so dirty" while I was cleaning the seat 8-).

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/390/sn851791.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3023/sprocketcircledc.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/5057/sn851793.jpg

dazlow
19-02-10, 05:44 PM
You don't really ride that do you? :o

Bennett
19-02-10, 05:46 PM
Lol yeah :'( Needs a clean, Just CBA to go buy all that Anti-Rust and WD40. I'm happy to spend 48Hrs non-stop cleaning a bike. Love it :-*

or were you on about the Sprocket and Chain? ;D :D

alanTDM
19-02-10, 05:58 PM
That chain is knackered the reason why its chipped is because its worn down so much its like a end of a wood chisel,bet if you look at the gear box sprocket the teeth are hooked aswell.I cant see a chain and sprocket set costing a lot for a 50cc bike but compare the differences between new one and yours and bet you'll get a shocksuggest you take a look at this web site
http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_and_maintenance/

This front sprocket is knackered notice hooked teeth and the uneven shape between each one
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/aytdm/bike/15112009257.jpg

Ducatista
19-02-10, 06:21 PM
In total there's only like 5, is that enough to kill me?

A catastrophe takes a sequence of events.
So if you got thrown off your bike in front of an oncoming HGV then yes you could die.

More likely scenario is that your very lose chain comes off the sprockets, comes loose with momentum and "whips" the flesh off your leg (nice).

I think you should take note of what the professionals said and that was DANGEROUS (in triplicate).

The vast majority of us would not ride that bike and would not let it get into that state.

I don't think you should try to take links out of the chain.
They have said the chain is excessively worn, so you need a new one as well as sprocketts.
Everyone will tell you it's best to get the whole set in one go, because if you put a new chain on worn sprocketts it will be knackered in no time at all.

I hope you get it sorted.
Please let us know if you need any help, because I dread to think of you riding like that.

vtmike
19-02-10, 06:49 PM
well it's been a while since i looked at sprockets on the ts50x, but i would say yours are knackered.
the teeth are thin and starting to bend.
Take a look at this link
http://images.wemoto.com/full/MULTIENTRY/10021051.jpg

Thorkill_The_Tall
19-02-10, 06:59 PM
Oi! Bennett!
Just go and get yourself a new chain and sprocket kit, preferably a quality one, like D.I.D for example.

Remember what I said in another topic?

Spend the money on keeping the bike looked after and save the rest for your next bike.

Bennett
19-02-10, 07:21 PM
Right guys, shopping spree. I got new chain and sprockets. My Box Sprocket had every other tooth missing.

I've only had it a few months so I'm guessing I didn't do that, I don't know how that happens anyway.

Stocked up on Lubes and cleaners. :D

Proud of me? :)

Uber Dave
19-02-10, 07:24 PM
The fact the chain was loose would have accelerated the wear on the sprockets.
In the few months you have owned the bike have you checked the chain tension and tightened it as needed? Both front and rear sprockets and chain could have been knackered before you got the bike, but not checking would not help. I check mine weekly, same as my tyre pressures as its only a couple of minute job to do, and as mentioned above could save you a trip up the road "road rash" style!

What lubes did you buy out of interest?

Scotty
19-02-10, 07:35 PM
I agree with everyone else's sentiments, your rear sprocket is totally f*cked, so the chain and front sprocket are most likely in a similar condition. Don't d!ck around, heed the advice and replace them all with the best bit of kit you can afford - how long do you think you'll keep it? If it's only for a few more months then it wouldn't be worth buying a heavy duty O-ring chain (do they make them that small?)

The most important thing is realising that you need to learn to maintain your bike - look after the bike and it'll look after you. Buy a manual, some tools, and some chain lube. Sure, riding a 50, you're probably only 16 so we have to cut you a bit of slack, but neglecting your bike like that could have serious consequences as Ducatista's hinted at... You're never likely to be doing much more than 30mph, so traffic's going to be all over you, and were the chain to hop off and lock your wheel and spit you off, you could be flattened by white van man in the blink of an eye. The odds are stacked against us two-wheelers enough already, don't make them any worse for yourself. We all want to hear about your exploits on a 125 and getting through your test and everything, so make sure you're around to tell us about it ok? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Ah, just seen your post, been shopping, good lad :)

Last Train
19-02-10, 07:40 PM

Pass your test,
Buy a Buell.

Easy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Uber Dave
19-02-10, 07:42 PM

Pass your test,
Buy a Buell.

Easy. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

What is the interval on those belts anyway, I meant to ask you the last ride out we were on but you went home at the first petrol stop before I had chance.

Bennett
19-02-10, 07:49 PM
I went for Carlube Spray Grease.
I have to get some more WD40, great for cleaning.

I feel bad for not looking after it. :(

I'll take some pics when its clean, doubt it'll look too shiny, its quite old, the ex-owner was worse apparently and he had it for a few years.

Scotty
19-02-10, 08:09 PM
Carlube? Not a brand I'm framiliar with, I must admit. Where did you get it from? A proprietary chain lube would be best, they dry onto the chain and have better anti-fling properties than a conventional grease. If it isn't a proper chain lube and you haven't used it, I'd suggest taking it back for a swap (if they have anything appropriate) or a refund and getting a proper one from a bike shop. The best time to lube your chain is immediately after riding as the chain will be warm so the lube will penetrate better and dry more quickly. After lubing, leave it to dry for a while, or it'll get flung straight off the chain :(

I think some of us old-timers have jumped on your case a bit, sorry about that. None of us were born with a snap-on in our hand, we've all had to learn, and you have the benefit of the internet and friendly places like this to glean all the help and info that you need to aid your learning process. If in doubt, ask! There'll be plenty of people on here willing to offer advice, maybe even help you out if they're close enough. You have the enthusiasm, just need some savvy to go with it [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Last Train
19-02-10, 08:11 PM
What is the interval on those belts anyway, I meant to ask you the last ride out we were on but you went home at the first petrol stop before I had chance.

I'm not sure that there is recommended interval.
A few owners look at replacing at 20K.
You need to inspect regularly, as with everthing else, but not lube and adjust.

Bennett
19-02-10, 08:17 PM
:D, Its from the garage. It's propper Chain Lube, they do a lot of other bike maintenance crap too.

Solid answers is what I need, I know you all had to learn :)

Just need some Manuals now. :)

FJ_Biker
19-02-10, 08:46 PM
Don't scrimp on buying a chain and sprockets there is some rubbish budget chains around, if you want cheap chain lube just buy chainsaw oil.

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your bike with new chain and sprockets fitted.

Thorkill_The_Tall
19-02-10, 10:20 PM
Right guys, shopping spree. I got new chain and sprockets.........

I've only had it a few months so I'm guessing I didn't do that, I don't know how that happens anyway.

Stocked up on Lubes and cleaners. :D

Proud of me? :)
Nice one, kiddo. keep it up.
Remember, when you trade it in you'll get more for a looked after bike than you will for some old nail.

I'm not sure that there is recommended interval.
A few owners look at replacing at 20K.
You need to inspect regularly, as with everthing else, but not lube and adjust.

Some schedules say to check/adjust every 10K, but they don't usually need adjustment beyond the first service.
Sometimes they can last beyond 40k before they need replacing.
Read it and weep, chain owners ;D

SupeRDel
20-02-10, 12:56 AM
I've seen worse han that... :D

My mate had no teeth at all on the rear sprocket. He had too excellerate slowly or the chain would slide over the sprocket.

Ah! Good old days back in the late 70's.

A mate had a throttle cable snap so the pillion sat on the back holding the cable in his hand and pulled the wire with a pair of pliers.
The man on front changed gears and did the braking and streering.

Ah! Good old days back in the late 70's...

Last Train
20-02-10, 09:11 AM
Read it and weep, chain owners ;D

X2 [smiley=tongue.gif]

A mate had a throttle cable snap so the pillion sat on the back holding the cable in his hand and pulled the wire with a pair of pliers.
The man on front changed gears and did the braking and streering.

I've been there myself [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
the almost weekly Fowlers rebuild run 'any which way you can'.

;D

Bennett
20-02-10, 11:08 AM
Right, off to get her tested again at 12. Wish me luck :D

Washing is very therapeutic. :D But if it was new with no rust I would clean it more. :P

Ducatista
20-02-10, 11:14 AM
Good luck with it.
Hope it gets through this time.

Bennett
20-02-10, 03:29 PM
Yey, :D Win win win :P

Robf
20-02-10, 03:36 PM
guess thats a pass then =)

wiltshire builders
20-02-10, 05:54 PM
Bloody hell 3 pages. It's like a soap opera. Now where were you when Archie was murdered?

Glad it passed. Make sure you keep ontop of the maintenance. It's not all about the riding. We've all done it and had to pay the price in one way or another. I had a similar thing happen with a set of fork legs a few weeks before a trip to france. Could've saved myself alot of hassle and a load of money just by keeping ontop of things.

Bennett
20-02-10, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I love cleaning it now. :P, I wanna work in a bike shop until I join the Army Air Corps now. I think bikes is my kinda thing. :D

crewy
21-02-10, 11:30 AM
Congrats on it passing!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
22-02-10, 02:07 PM
Good to hear it's passed. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

You like cleaning bikes? Where do you live? I'll come and get you! I hate cleaning anything - bikes, cars, house! Just do what I need to!:D

BB

Davey
22-02-10, 02:25 PM
, I wanna work in a bike shop until I join the Army Air Corps now. I think bikes is my kinda thing. :D

LOL stay out of the bike trade if bikes is your kinda thing you'll soon lose interest and last thing you want to do is go for a ride :-/

but saying that i love my job! No idea why but I do and keep escaping and coming back to it! getting into a bike dealership will be the hardest part as a lot of people for some reason want to work there not sure why as hours are long, money is crap and get messed about a lot and no you don't get to play around on the bikes all day either thats sales job [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
22-02-10, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah and well done on getting it through the MOT 8-)

Bennett
22-02-10, 06:36 PM
Haha, I see, I guess it's just an interest though.
Still don't know what to take as a first job, I don't want a boring shop job.

igbell
23-02-10, 03:23 PM
Mmm good luck on that

Davey
23-02-10, 09:08 PM
I don't want a boring shop job.

Bike trade goes 2 ways - very boring or frantically busy never seems to be anything inbetween

crewy
24-02-10, 12:31 AM
Why not try and get an apprenticeship in a bike shop? I quite liked doing stuff on cars, and i mean reparing and mending stuff not boy racering it up lol and on bikes, so i got an apprenticeship at Renault, twas the best job i've ever had.

crewy
24-02-10, 12:34 AM
Also there is always bikes that need fixing, and when you feel able enough to work on your own you could earn a few quid and do 'mates' bike on the cheap [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bennett
26-02-10, 10:29 PM
Hmmm, I'm liking it. :D :-*