PDA

View Full Version : Beware - Dangerous Pot Hole

Bikermouse
24-02-10, 09:57 PM
Anyone travelling on the road between Calne (A4) and Devizes (A361) i.e. where the North Wilt Golf Club is please take care, especially if you are travelling in the direction of Devizes. There is a massive pot hole just past the Golf Club and any biker who hits it is very likely to have an off. A work colleague has reported it to the Council but who knows how quickly they will deal with it.

kj

Gerry
24-02-10, 10:51 PM
Good idea to mention this.

But - this could be the longest thread in history if we all add our fav pothole.
I wrecked an alloy on the Melksham - Calne road two weeks ago, just on the end of the long straight heading towards Calne.

Was in the car fortunately, but it was huge, I thought I'd damaged my whole suspension the bang was so loud.

Davey
25-02-10, 07:42 AM
I'd claim against the council for the damaged alloy - we done it with an Audi TT coming from Avebury way blew 2 tyres out and damaged the alloy and they paid no issues and very quickly and fixed the hole

I'd hate for anyone to damage their wheels in the other pot hole now its been reported ;)

Geordie Stu
25-02-10, 11:04 AM
Like Gerry Pot holes all over the place. I hit a "pot hole" on the Claverton Road by the Bath Clinic luckily it was slow speed but made a loud bang.

Council are saying the don't have the budget to repair roads. excuse after excuse, even if they do repair a pot hole its not done properly & they reappear after heavy traffic. >:(

Its not just the pot holes the debris left around the sides stone fly up crack windscreen or worse hit us riding

Roll_on
25-02-10, 12:35 PM
For anyone going between Acton Turville and Chipping Sodbury via the Cross Hands there are some bad holes on the sharp bends near the farm a couple are right on the cornering line.

ZZR600Dude
25-02-10, 01:04 PM
A338 near Winterbourne Earls, loads of pot holes, mud and debris.

:(

Kevinb
25-02-10, 01:17 PM
Try the road between Hinton Charterhouse and Midford. This was resurfaced a couple of years back (not very well) and the surface has lifted. Add this to the large number of pot holes and it makes for very interesting driving/riding.

wiltshire builders
25-02-10, 02:45 PM
Bromham to devizes is pot-holetastic. They're using cold macadam to fill in at the top of the hill into devizes today. Should be good for an hour or so. They blame it on the frost. Just got back from Alpe d'huez. -6 and 1.5m of snow not a pot hole in sight.

ZZR600Dude
25-02-10, 05:33 PM
May be easier if people spotted a road that was well maintained, had no pot holes, over banding, mud etc.

Guess those are quite rare

:D

alanTDM
25-02-10, 08:31 PM
2 weeks ago i phoned the highways dept 0800232323 and told them about the really bad road conditions at Rudlow Council Estate on the Corsham to Five Ways road going to Bradford on Avon.Even cars had to pick there way through them at 20mph.The numb skulls from the housing estate had also taken out the catseyes,I also told them that being a biker it would be really dangerous at night riding that road.
Start of last week there were signs that they were resurfacing the whole road near the Rudlow Coucil Estate.
So if you want the roads to be sorted you have to ring them and tell them its dangerous for bikers and could cause a major accident especially at night.

Red Zed 1
25-02-10, 10:19 PM
beware the road into/out of marlborough from beckhampton,,esp in marlborough.nothing but potholes,absolute nightmare >:(

SupeRDel
26-02-10, 06:52 AM
Ever noticed when you ride out of wiltshire the roads get visibly better.

Apparently the route of the wootten Bassett ride is gonna get a special repair treatment.

I told the riders coming not too worry about the route - its all the ones off the route that will get them.

Kevinb
26-02-10, 08:44 AM
May be easier if people spotted a road that was well maintained, had no pot holes, over banding, mud etc.

Try the District Council car park in Trowbridge. Smoooth

Also leaves are cleared away and never short of grit when it's icy

Geordie Stu
26-02-10, 08:53 AM
They might have repaired all the pot holes by the time summer comes round (Yeah right) ::)
All the pot holes certainly sharpens your thinking while riding.

Be careful people Ride well keep safe [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
26-02-10, 01:03 PM
Try the road between Hinton Charterhouse and Midford. This was resurfaced a couple of years back (not very well) and the surface has lifted. Add this to the large number of pot holes and it makes for very interesting driving/riding.

It sure does!! :o

BB

Davey
26-02-10, 01:18 PM

Doesn't help if you hit one when going around the corner at night and can't see it.

or nothing like dropping the front wheel after a decent wheelie to hit a pot hole and the 2 others straight after it and thrown all over the place - errrrmmm that was really on a private road ;)

Geordie Stu
26-02-10, 04:02 PM

Doesn't help if you hit one when going around the corner at night and can't see it.

or nothing like dropping the front wheel after a decent wheelie to hit a pot hole and the 2 others straight after it and thrown all over the place - errrrmmm that was really on a private road ;)

Indeed not. Even during the when commited to a bend

alanTDM
26-02-10, 07:50 PM
When the roads are in the state they are in now glad my TDM got 6" of F/R suspension travel and not 2" ;D

wiltshire builders
28-02-10, 06:35 PM
slow lane of the m4. Pot hole about 20 metres long. Pretty sure it was re-surfaced last year.

alanTDM
09-03-10, 09:33 PM
2 weeks ago i phoned the highways dept 0800232323 and told them about the really bad road conditions at Rudlow Council Estate on the Corsham to Five Ways road going to Bradford on Avon.Even cars had to pick there way through them at 20mph.The numb skulls from the housing estate had also taken out the catseyes,I also told them that being a biker it would be really dangerous at night riding that road.
Start of last week there were signs that they were resurfacing the whole road near the Rudlow Council Estate.
So if you want the roads to be sorted you have to ring them and tell them its dangerous for bikers and could cause a major accident especially at night.

Update This part of the road has been completely resurfaced its smoooth as a snooker table,So congrats to Wilts Highway Dept [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
09-03-10, 09:37 PM
I have noticed they've resurfaced quite a few roads around Swindon too [smiley=thumbsup.gif] If it continues I will feel a bit better about paying my road tax next month 8-)

Geordie Stu
10-03-10, 07:34 AM
Still loads in Somerset ie
Bath, Bradford on Avon, Trowbridge & surrounding areas. >:(

Kevinb
10-03-10, 08:46 AM
Trowbridge. Have they moved the boundaries. Are we now in Zummerzet! :o

Geordie Stu
10-03-10, 09:03 AM

Not since I last looked ::). Trowbridge (West Wiltshire)

Jon_W
11-03-10, 08:04 AM

Trowbridge - County town of Wiltshire. Home of Wiltshire County and West Wiltshire District councils...

...are kinda in the pooh if they have moved the boundary! :D

BB
14-03-10, 02:24 PM

Trowbridge - County town of Wiltshire. Home of Wiltshire County and West Wiltshire District councils...
...are kinda in the pooh if they have moved the boundary! :D

All Wiltshire Council now not County or District! They can't leave anything alone! ::)

BB

Nokesy
14-03-10, 09:34 PM

Try the District Council car park in Trowbridge. Smoooth

Also leaves are cleared away and never short of grit when it's icy

Very strange that - given the unitary council headquarters these days!! I hit a pothole in my car a while back that couldn't see as filled with water and really thought my car was finished. Fisherton Street in Salisbury is one of the worst I have come across tho. :( :( Bring on the tax holders in the other thread ;D ;D ;D I want one!!