PDA

View Full Version : Flat battery

Nokesy
04-03-10, 07:53 PM
Went to start my bike today after not riding for a few months. Despite new battery just before winter really started - nothing!! I have a battery pack charger but last time I used this, rode to Bristol (about 30 miles) and it wouldn't start at the end of the day. Will I need another new battery? :( Anyone know how best to revive the old one so I don't keep getting stranded? (I knew I should have invested in a trickle charger!

Scotty
04-03-10, 08:08 PM
If it's knackered, it'll be beyond revival I'd say, though it shouldn't be dead after a few months - best get your charging circuit checked, charge the battery, fire up the bike and for a start check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running - it should be about 14V. If not, there could be a problem with the alternator (burnt out coil), wiring (burnt wire or plug terminal) or regulator/rectifier unit (that could also cause the 2nd issue) A duff charging circuit would explain why it wouldn't start after your ride to Bristol. See if it's charging first, and if it is, then it's the battery, if not, start looking elsewhere... good luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
04-03-10, 08:13 PM
That's really helpful advice - thankyou! Only problem is I don't have a voltage meter - maybe my local garage might help? :)

Chappers
04-03-10, 08:17 PM
I'm sure they will! They're only a few quid though and really handy for solving annoying wiring / battery problems!

Hope you get it sorted.

Honda_Star
04-03-10, 10:13 PM
I have bought a fair few batteries in my time >:( Normally have discovered they are flat just as I am about to sell the bike! ;D

Kevinb
05-03-10, 09:11 AM
I had to buy one this week. I looked under the seat saw where the battery was and thought sod that. Pheonix in Trowbridge popped around my house during the day when my wife was in and fitted a new one. Excellent service. I did pay more than I expected. I just went into the shop after work and paid.
Saw a Yamaha T-shirt for my grandson which they knocked pretty much a fiver off to bring it down to £10.

Roll_on
05-03-10, 10:31 AM
I had a flat battery and both dip headlight bulbs had blown so I went to Chippenham Motorcycles and saw Mike and Freddie. Freddie fitted new bulbs for me which is no mean feat with the fairing in place on a Triumph Trophy. Then on to the battery, they unfortunately did not have the right battery in stock so one has been ordered and a loan battery fitted to get me home and allow me to use the bike. That was Wednesday this week and the new battery is now in ready to fit today. Always get great service from CMC I would recommend them.

jonnydangerous
05-03-10, 01:42 PM
nokesy, do you have the receipt? just incase something is wrong with the battery???....most batteries have at least a year guarantee, and sometimes up to three....worth checking.
your brother will have a Volt meter, and i seem to remember he actually went to college on the day that we looked at batteries....hahaha ;-)

ZZR600Dude
08-03-10, 05:39 PM
Get an Optimate they help maintain your battery and keep in topped up especially over the winter months if you dont ride the bike much. I have heard bike alarms can drain the battery if left long enough.
Says on the box that it can recover even difficult batteries.
I have had one a couple of years now and never had a problem with it.

Paul :D

Jon_W
10-03-10, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the plates have phosphated over.

This happens if a battery is left inactive for long periods.

The only possible answer is to get a trickle charger with an ammeter, put the battery on the minimum current charge setting and leave it for anything up to four weeks. Check the acid levels, current, and temperature throughout.

What should happen if it is this is the current will start off very low and stay like that for a while. Then after a while it will suddenly jump up to around the level you would expect of a flat battery and then go through a normal charge.

Basically you are cleaning corrosion off of the plates and then re-charging the battery. This dosen't always work and can take a long time, but I've rescued batteries this way in the past.

ZZR600Dude
10-03-10, 09:11 AM
Sounds like the plates have phosphated over.

This happens if a battery is left inactive for long periods.

The only possible answer is to get a trickle charger with an ammeter, put the battery on the minimum current charge setting and leave it for anything up to four weeks. Check the acid levels, current, and temperature throughout.

What should happen if it is this is the current will start off very low and stay like that for a while. Then after a while it will suddenly jump up to around the level you would expect of a flat battery and then go through a normal charge.

Basically you are cleaning corrosion off of the plates and then re-charging the battery. This dosen't always work and can take a long time, but I've rescued batteries this way in the past.

An Optimate will do this as part of its function.

:)

Jon_W
11-03-10, 08:01 AM
True. That is what an optimate does. Keeps the battery clean.

However, this is a recovery procedure for seemingly knackered batteries.

Nokesy
14-03-10, 03:05 PM
Good news all! Struggled to start Bandit yesterday - used jump leads from my car in the end as battery pack was also dead - went for a long, hard blast and it started first time today so don't think I have any battery issues any more! Looking forward to coming to meet you all soon at some meets / ride-outs! Thanks for all the useful advice too. Have also got myself a foot pump and guage as recommended by you fellow bikers so can avoid that whole awkward farce in petrol stations as I struggle to get air into tyres now! :) :) :)

finbar
15-03-10, 12:40 AM
You are not out of the woods yet. What you need to do is get the battery charged with one of the 'Clever' type chargers people have mentioned to kick your battery back to life. I don't want to get too technical but a part charged battery deteriates, if it is kept fully charged (which most shop don't do from new) they last ages (my last one lasted 6 yrs, then i sold the bike!). If you want to buzz over my place (calne, it wont cost anything either!) sometime I am more than happy to charge your battery for you. May well take 5-6 hours though! The bad news is a whizz down the road will not sort the battery out for long, as mentioned, the battery plates need cleaning and the 'clever' type chargers hit the battery with a high voltage, low current cycle that the dumb alternator in your bike can't provide.

Nokesy
15-03-10, 08:09 AM
That's a kind offer :) You around this weekend? What is there to do in Calne for 5 - 6hrs??!!

finbar
15-03-10, 08:56 PM
You could go shopping boss...In Chippenham, if you are nice I could take you there. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
15-03-10, 09:07 PM
Another kind offer [smiley=happy.gif] - however, I hate shopping - 5-6hrs of that sounds like my worst nightmare! :(

This might sound like a dumb question and at the risk of looking stupid I will ask it anyway - do you need the battery in the bike? Or could I drive the battery over to you instead?

finbar
15-03-10, 10:53 PM
No...Your bike needs a battery to function...sorry

Ducatista
16-03-10, 01:58 PM
however, I hate shopping - 5-6hrs of that sounds like my worst nightmare!

A woman that hates shopping :o
Sounds like all your birthdays have come at once Finn ;)

finbar
16-03-10, 09:04 PM
;D naughty! ::)

jonnydangerous
18-03-10, 08:31 AM
Finbar, Nokesy means can she "remove" the battery from the bike and take it to you in her car for you to charge....

Nokesy
18-03-10, 09:46 AM
Finbar, Nokesy means can she "remove" the battery from the bike and take it to you in her car for you to charge....

That's exactly what I mean! :) I did wonder whether Finbar got that or not!! ;D Can this be done to charge a battery?

Chappers
18-03-10, 10:07 AM
yep.