PDA

View Full Version : Insurance rip-off!

wiltshire builders
03-03-10, 03:44 PM
I am absolutely f***ing livid. My broker told me that my current insurer wouldn't insure me for the zx10 but could get me a new policy with another insurer for £340 but i would lose the no-claims for that year. I told them to get stuffed and got a policy fully comp for £126.

That was bad enough. I've just recieved my phone bill and i've been charged £18 for the calls to the broker.

It works out at £1 per minute and they didn't even give me a happy ending! ;) The company is AQuote and i recomend you avoid these bastards like the plague.

Geordie Stu
03-03-10, 03:48 PM
Ouch...!!!

Won't be going to them. My insurance is due end of April won't be going to Bennetts. >:(

Davey
03-03-10, 05:17 PM
I was under the impression any company advertising a premium rate number had to advise of the charges on the advert/ paperwork.

Glad you got it sorted and a good deal - who was that with?

on the note of insurance i am surprised Dabz hasn't sorted out a reference code with ins companies for the site as could raise money towrds the site fees! Feel free to pm me and I can point you in the right direction

Nokesy
03-03-10, 05:20 PM
I could recommend Devitt Insurance. Also do great breakdown cover - £8.50 per month for cover on any bike, in any car, in UK and abroad. Also covers partners if wanted for this price. :)

Robf
03-03-10, 05:43 PM
i was with devitt for my 125 but when i upgraded to my 250 i phoned them up they told me it would cost almost £500 a year 3rd party, looked else where and got the insurance for £173.10 a year.

Uber Dave
03-03-10, 06:02 PM
Bennets did the same to me in August. I had to can my current policy with only 4 months left on it to move company to insure my new bike, so lost 8 months of the years NCB as a result!

Davey
03-03-10, 06:54 PM
I prob see more insurance cover notes a month than most will ever see - advantage it also shows what companies are good for what bikes if people are taking up insurance.

Just for reference my insurance is £65 a year fully comp with Bikesure
My fireblade was £112 FC with MCE and the gsxr750 was 105 same company

wiltshire builders
03-03-10, 07:32 PM
It was with dial direct. I think they're all robbing gits to be honest but some less so than others. My van insurance went up by £120 a year because i moved to the other side of town but my bike insurance stayed the same. There doesn't seem to be a system to their charges.

Maverick
03-03-10, 07:36 PM
DUCATI Insurance is really good

Scotty
03-03-10, 07:41 PM
The quote line for AQuote is 0800 01118444 - that's free on a landline...

Roxy
03-03-10, 07:44 PM
I have just renewed my insurance, I was with Axa through Bennetts last year and FC was £157 with my Dad on the policy and as I was a completely new rider with no NCB or experiance I thought it was a good price for the bandit 600.

I looked around for the best FC package with breakdown (here and euro), legal, personal accident and a pretty low excess with no voluntary and then went back to bennetts and asked what they could do for the r6 as the bandit went last week :'(. I asked a month before the bandit cover ran out to swap to the r6 and they wanted to sting me big time for cancelling the cover and to swap to the r6 with no NCP they wanted just under a grand!!!!! :o

anyway I waited until the cover was just about to run out, called them up and asked if they could match what I was looking at on the web...they said yes with all the extras I wanted and it came down to £286 with Axa again!!..which is not bad considering I have only been riding a year.

but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what they charge...all robbing b*stards if you ask me .

:)

wiltshire builders
03-03-10, 08:16 PM
The quote line for AQuote is 0800 01118444 - that's free on a landline...
Yeah but the customer help line is an 0871 which should be around 10p per minute but they can charge more and split it with the line provider. Been doing a bit of digging around online and it doesn't seem to add up. Watch this space......

finbar
03-03-10, 10:35 PM
I concur with you guys...they are a shower of minkys. It is a classic scam to try to charge a bomb for a few months cover when you change plans (ie your bike or move...even in the same area) just an excuse to extort a large fee as they know you want the hard earnt NCB. Total feckers the lot of them! :( >:(

wiltshire builders
04-03-10, 12:56 PM
I concur with you guys...they are a shower of minkys. It is a classic scam to try to charge a bomb for a few months cover when you change plans (ie your bike or move...even in the same area) just an excuse to extort a large fee as they know you want the hard earnt NCB. Total feckers the lot of them! :( >:(
A shower of minkys? How would that work? I gonna look that up too!

Scotty
04-03-10, 06:44 PM
A shower of minkys? How would that work? I gonna look that up too!
I think zat monsieur Finbar is a leetle like Inspector Clouseau, non? ;)

finbar
04-03-10, 11:39 PM
I don't know 'how it would work' but I still hold on to the slim chance that it might happen one day! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

crewy
05-03-10, 02:12 AM
I have the 916 insured with mce, cant fault them on there service yet, dont get put on held for ages, and the brake down service they supply is pretty prompt too

charlie
22-03-10, 07:56 PM
I ran into problems with my '09 insurance as I did a 90 day tour of Europe. Very few companies will offer cover for this amount of time on the continent. I went with Devitt and paid slightly over the odds to get the 60 days + 30 days green card cover for my trip. My insurance is now up for renewal and Devitt have come up trumps, they are the best value for money this year!

Thanks for the warning about A Quote, they were one of the companies I called. I'll check my phone bill when I get it!!!