PDA

View Full Version : Your bad biking habits.

Bennett
22-02-10, 07:48 PM
:D :D :D

What are your bad biking habits?

Mine is just I don't let off the throttle when changing up gears, never even knew why I have to, but I don't. Sometimes I do.

What about you?

Dabz
22-02-10, 07:58 PM
I should imagine my general observation isn't what it should be! Probably miss a lot of life savers etc

Bennett
22-02-10, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I do them from stationary but, I don't see how, your going with speed, ready to turn, so, you disorientate yourself before doing so to check what's down beside you when there could be a car on the wrong side of the road around the bend? I think that happens more often than another cyclist down the side of you.

:)

Davey
22-02-10, 09:34 PM
I have none I'm a perfect well behaved rider :)

As long as wheelies, stoppies and general hooliganism is under that banner - oh yeah I have no mirrors or indicators either. But on company bike its perfect riding (I wouln't want to tell the boss I trashed one of his bikes!)

Bennett
22-02-10, 10:24 PM
Hehe, what's the company bike anyway?

Davey
23-02-10, 08:28 AM
Hehe, what's the company bike anyway?

At the moment a XJ6 diversion - dunno what it'll be next month

igbell
23-02-10, 03:18 PM
Safety checks are mine....

Geordie Stu
23-02-10, 03:21 PM
Having just passed my IAM test in January, got no bad habbits, but by no means the perfect rider. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
23-02-10, 07:08 PM
Having just passed my IAM test in January, got no bad habbits, but by no means the perfect rider. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

A man with NO bad habits? hmmm didn't think one existed! ;D

BB

Ducatista
23-02-10, 07:33 PM
One of my bad habits is not leaving enough braking distance.

Another one is not using the rear brake enough and only using the front. I'm gradually easing myself out of that one and using the rear brake on corners, slow riding etc.
I know that if you don't practice your braking then it can all go horribly wrong. I locked up my rear once when someone pulled out on me. Luckily I managed to stay on the bike but did a massive wobble and was totally out of control.
Pure luck that I never hit anything whilst I lost control.

But I'm quite self-critical and constantly seeking improvement, so I do tend to correct my own bad habits.
Sadly I haven't become perfect yet, so there's still work to do.

StreetHippo
23-02-10, 07:45 PM
I think I have plenty :-[ Lifesavers, poorly executed overtakes, the list is long and not terribly distinguished :-[
That's why I want to do Bikesafe when I get back to the UK!

Stu 8-)

finbar
23-02-10, 08:18 PM
Impatience...which will I fear lead to a BIG off one day. Problem with this one is it is hard wired....in my nature if you will and I can't see it ever being fully irradicated...I think cockness too, as when I thought of the question, I had real problems thinking of bad habits/weaknesses in my riding, which just shows me that I must be over confident (cocky)...so in summary I guess I have a bad attitude! :-[

Mark_Able
23-02-10, 09:02 PM
Impatience...which will I fear lead to a BIG off one day. Problem with this one is it is hard wired....in my nature if you will and I can't see it ever being fully irradicated...I think cockness too, as when I thought of the question, I had real problems thinking of bad habits/weaknesses in my riding, which just shows me that I must be over confident (cocky)...so in summary I guess I have a bad attitude! :-[

Leave home earlier... ;)

crewy
24-02-10, 12:37 AM
Mine has to be a bit like Finbar's, i think i'm quite a cool cat when im out on the bike and every else is in there cars, oh and braking to too long in to a corner.

Geordie Stu
24-02-10, 09:05 AM

BB

I got bad habbits :-[ Even some riding bad hbbits.

Kevinb
24-02-10, 09:37 AM
Probably SPEED. Long straights just seem to be asking me to open the throttle.

jonnydangerous
24-02-10, 02:01 PM
wheelies......yup! thinnk thats my bad habbit, see a long stretch and cant resist popping some big bad wheelies...

ooh, that and falling off and breaking bones (not related honest!)......

R2D2
24-02-10, 02:07 PM
Probably the usual suspects - occasional missing observations, (very) occasional marginal overtakes, and a heavy right hand. No-one's perfect but I do try not to ride like a twonk :D

scotchpie
24-02-10, 02:22 PM
Often my arms go rigid on the bars, I have to constantly remind myself to relax. Also I have a lack of confidence in corners, but I guess both of these I will solve with practice and miles.

slowr1der
24-02-10, 10:59 PM
Trying to get my knee down at every opportunity.......no big not clever but hell it feels good ;D

Nico_babe
24-02-10, 11:24 PM
Foot positioning :'(

finbar
24-02-10, 11:33 PM
Nice too hear I am not the only one with bad habits...Some of them I quite like if the truth be known. ;)

Jon_W
25-02-10, 09:02 AM
I guess it's a bad habit....

....swearing at traffic and forgetting that I'm wearing an open face helmet....

Have to remember to :-X

wiltshire builders
25-02-10, 03:57 PM
Having to be in front of everything else on the road and not just enjoying the ride.

bobf279
25-02-10, 10:08 PM
Not always indicating before an overtake

BB
26-02-10, 01:57 PM

BB

I got bad habbits :-[ Even some riding bad hbbits.

Don't worry - I got too many to list I'm sure! :o

BB

Bennett
26-02-10, 10:28 PM
Haha, Nice. :D

charlie
25-03-10, 11:36 AM
Mine has to be 'Road Frustration', not quite Rage, but I get so narked off with other road users being complete dongles. Unfortunately/fortunately on a bike you have the ability to leave them behind. (sometimes, depending on the offence, offering some hand gesture or another on your way past [smiley=happy.gif])

Other than that, I'm like Mary Poppins - Practically Perfect in Every Way. :) I wish!

CBRowner
25-03-10, 03:16 PM
I did my test in Gibraltar where it was perfectly acceptable to 'Boot' the car that cut you up, ride on paths, park where you want, ride in flip flops and t-shirts, where a silly 'piss pot' helmet, and many more.

I'm struggling in the UK but have managed to improve on all of those although the worst thing I used to do was riding whilst having a smoke and on the phone, it's a skill that I think they teach you on lessons over there, not that I'd know because I didn't take any!! [smiley=happy.gif]

I'm still a nervous rider in the UK because people are so unpredictable, at least in Gib and Spain I knew that they were sh*te so I worked around that :)

Lexx0r
25-03-10, 07:27 PM
Laying down a slight bit too much power in the wet and forgetting I dont have a slipper clutch. Both seem to have stopped recently, I guess my ridings improving!

Sadly, another bad habit is to overtake anytime I get a safe chance - even if the car infront is at the speed limit. Along with lack of confidence in bends in the wet (despite buying Pilot Power 2CTs')

Nokesy
25-03-10, 09:44 PM
Definitely forgetting the bike comes with a rear bike - even in the wet! :-[

Nokesy
25-03-10, 09:44 PM
Sorry I mean't rear brake! See - can't even say it, let alone use it!! ;D

Scotty
26-03-10, 12:11 AM
Nokesy, you can edit your posts if you want to change something you know... use the "modify" button [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

My faults? Erm.... probably lack of tolerance of other roads users (eejits! >:() and maybe TFF sometimes... ;)

Roxy
26-03-10, 12:17 AM
all of the above at some point or other...but not jaydee's bad habits though, they just scare me!! ;D ;D

roxy

Morticia
28-03-10, 08:32 AM
I got way too many! On the v-twin I don't touch the brakes, cos the engine brake is just awesome! Not even down a hill, you know, just let go of the throttle and sorted! (GOD i love the v-twin!!!) On the other bikes, I'm a back braker, which apparently is a very bad habit, but, what can I say, it works for me. And I've never cleaned my bike. Really don't see the point, dirty bike works as well as a clean one! :)

Tongy
31-03-10, 05:05 AM
All of the above! Still not that confident into bends at speed. Continually shouting at myself not to touch the brakes when I feel I'm too fast in the bend. Case of mind over matter (and a puckered seat). ;D

Bennett
31-03-10, 07:04 AM
Hehe.

@Morticia, I like to think it's a thing of respect, the bike looks after you, you look after it. You can see if things look dodgy and also tamper and learn.

Cemorah
31-03-10, 12:01 PM
Right foot on the floor when stationary-just can't break this one - too many years of trying to get 125 'crossers off the line in 2nd I guess

Snowy
31-03-10, 12:46 PM
Right foot on the floor when stationary-just can't break this one - too many years of trying to get 125 'crossers off the line in 2nd I guess

Why is this a "bad" habit?

Kevinb
31-03-10, 01:23 PM
I used to Hammer the back brake on the Bonnie. With only a naff single disk up front and my weight on the bike the back brake got a lot of use.
The MT-01 with big stoppers on the front and USD forks makes one hell of a difference.

Nokesy
31-03-10, 01:31 PM

I believe the rear brake should always be covered when stationary - that's what I was taught anyway - left foot down at lights only! Can't say I do this though - lights are a good opportunity to stretch both legs in my view! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
31-03-10, 06:56 PM
I'm normally changing down the gears as I come to stop and often just pop into neutral so right foot down stops me having to change my standing leg to select a gear to pull away.

Mark_Able
31-03-10, 07:48 PM

I believe the rear brake should always be covered when stationary - that's what I was taught anyway - left foot down at lights only! Can't say I do this though - lights are a good opportunity to stretch both legs in my view! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Standard bike test dictates left foot down with rear brake covered. IAM test dictates right foot down, supposedly so you can do a quick gear change away from the lights, or select neutral at the lights. I do whatever is appropriate, but mainly left foot down. As with everything, it all depends on the circumstances.

Scotty
31-03-10, 08:13 PM
Re. the left foot only "rule" - Star got caught out a couple of years ago on her CBR600 at the crossroads by the Black Horse at Wanborough, went to put the left foot down as she believed she had to, and found nothing but fresh air due to the steep camber and ended up in a heap :'( - ironically, she was on her way to mine so we could fit her freshly-purchased R&G crash bungs... ::)
AT has it right, do whatever's appropriate - if your right foot's down, one finger on the front brake will stop the bike from rolling anywhere... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
01-04-10, 07:20 PM

Standard bike test dictates left foot down with rear brake covered. IAM test dictates right foot down, supposedly so you can do a quick gear change away from the lights, or select neutral at the lights. I do whatever is appropriate, but mainly left foot down. As with everything, it all depends on the circumstances.

Not to mention which side the brake/gear shift is on! :D

BB

Mark_Able
01-04-10, 07:46 PM

Not to mention which side the brake/gear shift is on! :D

BB

Good point! Never ridden an old British bike. Was always afraid of getting brake and gears mixed up! ;D

Snowy
01-04-10, 08:10 PM
Nice to know after 30 years of riding bikes I would fail the test if I took it now!