PDA

View Full Version : Tracks

allantheboss
30-03-10, 07:25 PM
Any reasonable tracks in Wiltshire? Any that anyone would recommend to someone looking for someone to recommend it to someone?

I'm a track virgin, so I'd be looking for a nice one. Castle Combe?

Mark_Able
30-03-10, 08:22 PM
Castle Combe is a great circuit, but it's not an easy circuit. There's not many circuits that I would describe as easy, as they've all got a corner or two that can catch you out. Best thing to do is try Castle Combe, take it steady, learn the track, build the speed gradually as the day progresses, and don't think you're the next Valentino. There are easier circuits to learn (Pembrey for example), but they're a lot further away. Good luck... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

allantheboss
30-03-10, 08:35 PM
Just what I wanted to hear. Good advice, thanks!

wiltshire builders
30-03-10, 09:36 PM
What do you ride? Combe's noise restrictions are legendary. Stumpy can r6 and gsxrs can forget it as can k5 1000s. The sound reading is taken so close to the pipe it picks up the air induction. The more you baffle the can the louder the induction. I've seen alot of sad faces at combe track days. I can have a word with Emma in the office and see if your bike is on the "noisey list" if you like.

Also keep in mind alot of teams test at combe for the IOM TT because it's the bumpiest circuit in Britain and also one of the fastest.
Don't let this put you off but it's better to be armed with all the facts so you can make a descission.

Scotty
31-03-10, 08:33 PM
It's a track wasteland down here in the South, Allan :( Combe's strangled by the noise nazis >:( Thruxton too (and they hardly have any bike events there)
Silverstone's not too far away and it's wide, flat and relatively undemanding for a novice (it'll be interesting to see what the changes to the circuit for MotoGP are like, and at least they've canned the poxiest chicane in the universe - well, they're all poxy, but that piece of crap was the worst). Brands is about 95 miles from Newbury (so 120-odd for you) - top track but very expensive, so you'll need to look West to South Wales (Pembrey and Llandow), or further North; Mallory (100 miles), Rockingham (the same), Donington (120, when they put it back together), Oulton (180, and excellent), Anglesey (fantastic circuit, but 280 miles away :() and the best of all is Cadwell (200)
There are also the days at Odiham airfield, just East of Basingstoke - check the threads on the trackday pages [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

See you on track soon! 8-)

Mark_Able
01-04-10, 08:09 PM
Llandow is tempting cos it's not far, but it's crap. :(

jimmer
01-04-10, 09:50 PM
Some tracks will run 2 days in a row,sat and sun if you can afford it book in on both,at least you get 2 days off fun,even if you have to travel.I live westbury wilts Pembrey,Brands,Mallory about 3 hours max drive(in my crappy van) which isnt to bad.