PDA

View Full Version : Dealer rip off warning

BeezaGeeza
11-12-09, 11:41 PM
Hi I'm new to this forum but I wanted to alert members about poor service from SJS in Salisbury who state on their website that the customer comes first. This is not my experience.
I booked my bike in for some simple work which was agreed would be done within 10 days, and that any parts over £60 would be agreed with me in advance. In reality the bike was with them for 4 weeks - numerous broken promises, excuses. It was returned with bird s**t over it poorly fitted panels and a badly bled back brake. They quoted one price for a part and then INSISTED that they had never had that conversation with me, then charged me more.
Furthermore they replaced another part without asking me at over the agreed £60 threshold (I found self same part on the net in about 10 seconds for £35). I did give them the opportunity to put all this right but they flatly refused. I can't be ar**d to take it further with low life like them, but I do think it worthwhile to alert other riders on here. I certainly won't be going back with this or any of my other bikes.

R1chie
13-12-09, 11:53 PM
Certainly sounds like some bad dealings.

Never really had much to do with SJS. I know they were formed by the core staff from the old Honda Salisbury dealership and apart from their official opening I've never really ventured down there.

I'm not sure of the official line, but I saw on TV the other day where people stood on instances where they get charged for things they don't agree upon beforehand. Maybe a strongly worded letter to the owner is needed stating that you'll take this further via MCN/trading standards and also speak to Consumer Advice.

Don't blame you at all for not going back after that experience.

jonnydangerous
14-12-09, 10:19 AM
oooh, not good. i was going to visit them recently, but never got round to it....i might not now.
wonder how much this is going to lose them in the long run......

ta.

Dabz
14-12-09, 03:14 PM
Before we all jump to the conclusion that this dealer isn't worth visiting, we should perhaps do some more research..after all this person has made 1 post on WB and joined up specifically to bad mouth SJS. For all we know this person could be a competitor trying to harm their reputation

Roll_on
14-12-09, 03:37 PM
Would be interesting to hear from any other WB members who had used this company and what their experiances were, then a true evaluation could be made.

Davey
14-12-09, 03:46 PM
Before we all jump to the conclusion that this dealer isn't worth visiting, we should perhaps do some more research..after all this person has made 1 post on WB and joined up specifically to bad mouth SJS. For all we know this person could be a competitor trying to harm their reputation

Just what I was thinking!

If it was someone that was known rather than someone that joined to slate them maybe it might hold a bit more standing!

Firstly he never got a quote in writing along with the parts over £60 call. No doubt he'd have signed the authorisation for work but never mentioned if he put the call for parts as that would just have a job.

Service shops don't have the time to trowel the internet for parts they'll use thier suppliers as normally arrives quicker/ reliable.

No mention of chasing completion when went 3 weeks over just something about broken promises but no further details given

I don't know either of the parties involved so not defending either just adding a bit of maybes etc [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Personally I wouldn't have been happy with the delay, extra cost and not put together correctly but if that was me it wouldn't have been delayed as I would have chased them (with no attitude!) with that I'd have been informed of the bill all the time. If the panels aren't fitted properly on collection - don't take it get them to refit them.

I also hear of a lot of people complain about tyres being damged on changing of tyres. Ensure you check them before going, and wipe them down and take piccys - camera on phones are great things. When you book it in make sure they know the rims are undamaged no garage has ever refused to check them with me and note it. Then check them on collection at the garage. Very few rims do get damaged with care being taken but many people don't notice the damage until its fitted and blame the garage when its been there for ages

ZZR600Dude
14-12-09, 05:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the poor service you got from them.

Personally I thought they were helpful and friendly when I got my bike serviced and a couple of new tyres fitted back in July.

:)

ZZR600Dude
14-12-09, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the poor service you got from them.

Personally I thought they were helpful and friendly when I got my bike serviced and a couple of new tyres fitted back in July.

:)

Also want to add that th Guy in charge Shawn, spent an hour or so just chatting about bikes and giving me loads of useful advice.

I have no reason not to take my bike back there again.

jj
14-12-09, 07:56 PM
never had any problem with them, great service and really helpful would recommend them to anyone.

ONFIRE
14-12-09, 08:05 PM
GW's provide a Great Service [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

Okay I got my coat ;D ;D

igbell
15-12-09, 04:17 PM
Too far away for me anyway, I have enough bike shops in swindon that I dont need to go that far away.

wilmer
23-12-09, 09:23 PM
I rang them earlier this year for further information about a suzuki that they had for sale and when I mentioned a possible part ex the guys attitude changed completly and was very unfreindly saying he didnt want bikes like that in here ( zx6r). Maybe I just caught him on a bad day !!! I certainly didnt give him any attitude, that was just my experience.

BeezaGeeza
03-01-10, 01:25 AM

If it was someone that was known rather than someone that joined to slate them maybe it might hold a bit more standing!

Firstly he never got a quote in writing along with the parts over £60 call. No doubt he'd have signed the authorisation for work but never mentioned if he put the call for parts as that would just have a job.

Service shops don't have the time to trowel the internet for parts they'll use thier suppliers as normally arrives quicker/ reliable.

No mention of chasing completion when went 3 weeks over just something about broken promises but no further details given

I don't know either of the parties involved so not defending either just adding a bit of maybes etc [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Personally I wouldn't have been happy with the delay, extra cost and not put together correctly but if that was me it wouldn't have been delayed as I would have chased them (with no attitude!) with that I'd have been informed of the bill all the time. If the panels aren't fitted properly on collection - don't take it get them to refit them.

Hi, As the original poster, I would just like to defend myself here , no disrespect to Stu and others.

I am not a competitor to SJS and am in another line of business altogether. I do agree that I am new here having moved relatively recently to Wiltshire. I am though a reasonably experienced biker having bought my first bike on my 16th birthday, some 39 years ago and have never been without at least one bike since! In that time I have experienced great service at many places (take a bow please, Bill at Robotech) and crap service at just two. One in 1979 in a long-gone-bust dealer in Sussex and latterly at SJS.

To answer the points made specifically:

1: I agree I did not get a quote in writing, nor was one offered. I made the mistake of trusting what I was told when I handed over the bike, something I find you can do with most companies that value their customers' business.

2: I did indeed chase completion and many times (with no 'attitude' either). I was fobbed off with 'We'll be starting it tomorrow", "we've just had another customer come in who wants his bike back before yours" then a week later "we are still waiting for the parts" (so what happened to starting it tomorrow, a week ago then?).

3: I did give SJS the chance to make amends, but was met with a flat refusal. I KNOW, I could take them to the Small Claims court and win, but I just cant be arsed to spend the time doing so. I think it better to warn others on here so that they make their own choices.

Reviewing other people's comments I would say that their service is mixed, and in my view that is not good enough in this day and age, when their are perfectly decent shops around who give consistently good service.

So there you have it, I will NEVER go anywhere near them again, I value my safety and I do like my bike to be returned in good and roadworthy condition without broken promises on timing and cost. Not an unreasonable view?

Cheers

BeezaGeeza

coopmick
03-01-10, 09:01 AM

Hi, As the original poster, I would just like to defend myself here , no disrespect to Stu and others.

I am not a competitor to SJS and am in another line of business altogether. I do agree that I am new here having moved relatively recently to Wiltshire. I am though a reasonably experienced biker having bought my first bike on my 16th birthday, some 39 years ago and have never been without at least one bike since! In that time I have experienced great service at many places (take a bow please, Bill at Robotech) and crap service at just two. One in 1979 in a long-gone-bust dealer in Sussex and latterly at SJS.

1: I agree I did not get a quote in writing, nor was one offered. I made the mistake of trusting what I was told when I handed over the bike, something I find you can do with most companies that value their customers' business.

2: I did indeed chase completion and many times (with no 'attitude' either). I was fobbed off with 'We'll be starting it tomorrow", "we've just had another customer come in who wants his bike back before yours" then a week later "we are still waiting for the parts" (so what happened to starting it tomorrow, a week ago then?).

3: I did give SJS the chance to make amends, but was met with a flat refusal. I KNOW, I could take them to the Small Claims court and win, but I just cant be arsed to spend the time doing so. I think it better to warn others on here so that they make their own choices.

Reviewing other people's comments I would say that their service is mixed, and in my view that is not good enough in this day and age, when their are perfectly decent shops around who give consistently good service.

So there you have it, I will NEVER go anywhere near them again, I value my safety and I do like my bike to be returned in good and roadworthy condition without broken promises on timing and cost. Not an unreasonable view?

Cheers

BeezaGeeza

Well said Beeza!!!! I believe you must said what you feel and the way you find things if not we mite as well be sheep following the masses [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spanner347
03-01-10, 10:26 AM
Hi. Not too sure as to where you live, but if you have the chance try Bridge Garage at Shrewton. The main man there Chaz is very friendly, and the attitude is very good. More than happy to chat about a problem over the phone, and I don't think the prices are unfair.

Davey
05-01-10, 08:42 AM

Cheers

BeezaGeeza

Not disrespecting me as I just threw some 'maybe's' in the conversation as you have made the grand total of 2 posts - no-one knows you as you never introduced yourself. #

Personally I wouldn't have accepted the no written quote (if I asked for one)
I wouldn't have accepted the other customer needing it sooner excuse they gave unless it was a 'mates' rates repair - which I guess it wasn't otherwise we wouldn't be here
On another note if you had such good service from the other garage why didn't you take it there in the first place?

But as I wasn't there and still going off one persons accounts I can't condemn a dealership - though I won't use them for obvious reasons at least it highlights if someone is going to use them what to ask/ look out for [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

*edit* doh just noticed you recently moved to Wiltshire - hence not knowing any garages :-[

ZZR600Dude
05-01-10, 01:14 PM
Only going by personal experience but SJS seemed OK when I dropped the bike off to them.

Anyone know of another garage in Salisbury I could take my bike in case SJS does have issues?

BeezaGeeza
17-04-10, 03:29 PM
Thanks Kev, just thinking about a service now. Anyone else had experience of Bridge Garage, I'm going to be careful following my bad experience at SJS. Anybody got a point of view on Hayballs?

R1chie
17-04-10, 05:28 PM
I've used Hayballs for a few years for servicing on various bikes with no complaints.

bobf279
17-04-10, 06:53 PM
I use a small guy in Westbury always get quality service, some of the bigger garages have so much to do the customer service sometimes suffers

silly_simon
30-04-10, 06:59 PM
I bought a 600 Fazer from hayballs back in '02 and had no complaints with their service either.
As for bridge in shrewton I haven't used them personally But a dear friend of mine (no longer here RIP) used them very frequently for services and tyres and couldn't rate them highly enough.

As for Phil stokes in westbury again a very friendly chatty chap who gives a good service, But again I only use him for MOT as i do my own servicing [smiley=happy.gif]

spanner347
03-05-10, 09:16 AM
Did not realise Phil Stokes did Mot's. There is no one now in warminster that does them, even Roy Vincent takes his to Codford. I have been using Bridge for the last few. Before them was the old boy in Frome, next to the breakers. Thanks for that bit of info,

nick1987
03-05-10, 09:42 AM
i have had excellent service at both SJS and Hayball in Salisbury, though both were a little pricey. (to be expected i suppose)

i also managed to get an MOT at very short notice (abour 2 1/2 Hrs) from wildman's in urchfont. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jj
03-05-10, 10:15 AM
have used sjs many times great service and great prices for parts, would not use anyone else