PDA

View Full Version : ZZR600 written off

ZZR600Dude
06-09-10, 12:36 PM
I just had a call from my insurance company and the ZZR600 was a total loss. They're sending me a cheque through the post and gave me a reasonable price for it.

Only thing is though is that there was a Meta 2 alarm and imobiliser fitted, think it cost me £400 fitted by the dealer. How do I stand regarding this, should the insurance company take this into account, any one know?

Paul

Geordie Stu
06-09-10, 12:49 PM
Don't accept their 1st offer argue & haggle about the alarm. Good Luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
06-09-10, 12:52 PM
Need a new bike, criteria;

fast
looks fast
can go long distances on it
any modern gismos that might save me crashing it ABS, traction control
budget £6000 max but will go second hand

I have always wanted a ZZR1400, am I mad to take on such a beast?

any suggestions welcome

:)

Morticia
06-09-10, 01:21 PM

fast
looks fast

any suggestions welcome

Get a triple so I can drool over it ;D

Ducatista
06-09-10, 01:48 PM
My understanding is that accessories/modifications are not insured.

Glad to hear you're better and not put off riding.
ZZR1400 is a very nice touring bike but also quite heavy.

What about a CB1000R like Ade or a Z1000 like Nelly?

Jon_W
06-09-10, 01:53 PM
Somone at work has a XJ1300, 2009, with only 550 miles on the clock for £5500. It's white.

Ducatista
06-09-10, 01:56 PM
My understanding is that accessories/modifications are not insured.

BTW - if it's not completely busted, then you might be able to go and retrieve it.

dedward
06-09-10, 03:35 PM
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear about your crash, glad your feeling better and are going to battle with your ins co. As Stu says, dont accept 1st offer. Any extras that you have added and the way that youve looked after your bike can make a difference. You need to send them proof of servicing, parts etc. pics of the bike to show that it was in vgc.

If you get a zzr1400, watch out. It will blow your mind. Seriously quick and reasonably agile for a big bike. The new Triumph Sprint is good too.

Good luck mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
06-09-10, 03:44 PM
Does anyone have experience of the BMW K1200s or know anyone who has owned one?

Ducatista
06-09-10, 03:50 PM
Ohhh yes, you need to speak to Dave B (Burger).
Can now be spotted on an Orange K1300S.

speedy
06-09-10, 04:11 PM
paul ive just got the cb1000r and the few miles i have done so far has been fun but the z1000 is as nice. i just prefer honda p.s hope your feeling better

Nelly
06-09-10, 05:07 PM
paul ive just got the cb1000r and the few miles i have done so far has been fun but the z1000 is as nice. i just prefer honda p.s hope your feeling better

Paul. Dont listen to speedy....Z1000 is better ;)

Geordie Stu
06-09-10, 05:22 PM
Paul don't listen to eith Speedy or nelly :D go for the z750 ;D

Ducatista
06-09-10, 05:30 PM
Nooo, get a Ducati ;)

BladeTriple
06-09-10, 06:36 PM
Dave B and Paul PDaddy have the K1200 and it seems to suit the more mature gent and his riding needs , even gets them showing you their hole in a crowded car park.... Don't ask ;D ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Theres a great choice of naked lunatic tools out there too , Nelly swearing by his Z1000 after leaving the ZX6r behind, Speedy on the CB1000R and me coming away from the GSXR1000 onto a Speed Triple with lots of nice bits standard like braided hoses, brembo brakes , single sided swing arm and the right angled air valves for ease of putting air in your tyres.... Only problem with the Speed Triple is no bloody room for any luggage with the high cans and miniscule pillion seat it would all have to go on your back . I'd never go back to my old GSXR after riding the Speed Triple, throws around like a bike should and loads of low down grunt but with no fairing theres very little chance of getting into trouble like a sports 1000 will get you into :P , Me ? I love the Speed Triple and even if you don't buy one test ride it ... Massive grins on my big silly northern face

To be honest I enjoyed riding the VFR800 too if you want something with sporty looks but with comfort and a nice turn of speed on it too, throws around a lot nicer than a bike that size should ... Well worth a look as well :)

Get down to Whites and Fowlers and just have a day test riding bikes see what takes your fancy then go out and get it 2nd hand. That said a lot of people are raving about the Street Triple too, bike of the year in MCN this year

Happy shopping [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

speedy
06-09-10, 07:08 PM
paul dont listen to nelly his legs are too short for a honda :D and monster only ever gets to see the back of honda,s [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scotty
06-09-10, 07:19 PM
...Get down to Whites and Fowlers and just have a day test riding bikes see what takes your fancy then go out and get it 2nd hand. That said a lot of people are raving about the Street Triple too, bike of the year in MCN this year

Happy shopping [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
As above Paul, you don't need to hurry into a decision on a replacement bike just yet, when you feel fit enough just go round all the dealers and test ride anything you like the look of... then buy a ZX-10R ;D ;D ;D

Ryan
07-09-10, 12:21 AM
Glad to hear your getting another bike paul :) get a fireblade ;)

ZZR600Dude
07-09-10, 11:34 AM
Wow so much choice.
thinking a ZZR1400 or K1200S. The K1200S is the more sensible of the two with its creature comforts but not sure if I am ready for the 'mature gent' category yet (even if I am in that age group). The ZZR1400 just looks awsome.
ZZR1400 is the bike I drool over but its a beast of a bike.
I did look at zx10r and fireblades but think I am more into sports tourers.
Having said that I am tempted by the Ducati 1098 just something about the design which is so perfect.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
07-09-10, 12:03 PM
but not sure if I am ready for the 'mature gent' category yet

I'm not sure that this is the right correct image.
That bike goes like stink so it's not a pipe & slippers choice.

The only aspects that make is "mature gent" are the fact that it's a sports tourer so more comfortable than a sports bike and also more expensive and well built with a serious quality feel to it.
So chuck any pipe & slippers images out right now, this is a seriously fast bike.

Personally I have not found myself drawn to BMWs even though I recognise their vast array of good points.
For me it's always a heart and not a head decicsion and there's always the physical fit aspect. You can try two similar looking bikes and one may be confortable and one just doesn't feel right for inexplicable reasons.
Only one way to tell and that's to go and ride them.

I went to try a Moto Guzzi not too long ago.
I was really in love with the idea of Guzzi ownership but I hated the bike when I rode it with a passion, so you just can't tell until you get out there.

hotdog
07-09-10, 02:18 PM
Yep K1200S/K1300S are really really bad bikes for really really old people. 0 to 60 takes about 13 seconds and they're very slow. Also they only have about 10bhp. The brakes are total rubbish and the traction control doesn't work for a toffee. As for the ESA suspension and handling you'd be better off on a silent night double divan. Avoid like the plague.

ZZR600Dude
07-09-10, 08:41 PM
Yep K1200S/K1300S are really really bad bikes for really really old people. 0 to 60 takes about 13 seconds and they're very slow. Also they only have about 10bhp. The brakes are total rubbish and the traction control doesn't work for a toffee. As for the ESA suspension and handling you'd be better off on a silent night double divan. Avoid like the plague.
Take it you like them then?
:D

BladeTriple
07-09-10, 08:55 PM
Wow Lisa, I didn't expect you to bite before Dave or Paul , I laid the bait for them but thanks for the nibble ;D

ZZR600Dude the K12 is a lovely looking bike and the single sided swing arm is lovely looking leaves you wondering what holds the rear wheel on tho [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hmm now Dave or Paul with pipe and slippers , that really would look odd on a bike of any sort

Snowy
07-09-10, 09:00 PM
Well as long as you stay clear of GS's you'll be fine as they are just expensive carp. :D You can't get your knee down however hard you try. ;D ;D

hotdog
07-09-10, 10:55 PM

I've done sports bikes, I've even done cruisers and I've done tourers... ST1300, FJR and yep, even an 1800 Goldwing. For me, the K1200S and now the K1300S is simply the best bike in existence. Awesome power and performance when you want it coupled with superb handling and long distance comfort. Don't tell everyone though coz I like the pipe smoking exclusivity :)

Nelly
07-09-10, 11:10 PM
Strange that Dave......i can just imagine you with a pipe on the go... ;D

Snowy
07-09-10, 11:21 PM
Strange that Dave......i can just imagine you with a pipe on the go... ;D

I would have put Dave down more as a Cuban man myself...

Ducatista
08-09-10, 09:54 AM
Don't tell everyone though coz I like the pipe smoking exclusivity

How come you bought a hairdressers car then? ;)

Lol, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that.

Sean.C
08-09-10, 12:05 PM

fast
looks fast

any suggestions welcome

What about a Honda Blackbird ?

hotdog
08-09-10, 03:32 PM
Don't tell everyone though coz I like the pipe smoking exclusivity

How come you bought a hairdressers car then? ;)

Lol, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that.

Jealousy is so ugly ;)

ZZR600Dude
08-09-10, 04:53 PM
I got my cheque in the post from the insurance company.
One step closer to my new bike although still not allowed to drive for 5 weeks let alone ride. Got some physiotheropy (I cant spell) booked in a few weeks but making good progress anyway.
I will have a trip to GW as soon as I am better. The ZZR 1400 is my dream bike but I think the K1200s has the edge at the moment with its advanced technology (which was sadly missing from my old ZZR600). ZZR1400 looks fantastic but its a massive bike. Love a Ducati 1098 but too expensive and not sure about reliability, although I guess not a problem these days.

Miss the riding, miss the company, cant wait to get going again.

Ducatista
08-09-10, 05:16 PM
The servicing costs of Ducatis has gone down a lot in recent years (up to 50%).
They used to do everything on the schedule for a service.
Now they are more pragmatic, so if you've only done 1000 miles in the year, then they will only do what needs doing instead of needing to tick every box. A well overdue change IMO.
Servicing intervals are not bad either.

I think the reliabiity has improved from the old days. My brother-in-law was dead set against me getting a Ducati and then I realised his perceptions were based on experiences that were 30 years old.

But expensive is indisputable and then there is the waiting for parts from Italy chenanigans that you have to go through.

I still say that you can do as much reasearch about the technicals as you like, but at the end of the day for me it's got to feel right.

ZZR600Dude
08-09-10, 06:01 PM
The servicing costs of Ducatis has gone down a lot in recent years (up to 50%).
They used to do everything on the schedule for a service.
Now they are more pragmatic, so if you've only done 1000 miles in the year, then they will only do what needs doing instead of needing to tick every box. A well overdue change IMO.
Servicing intervals are not bad either.

I think the reliabiity has improved from the old days. My brother-in-law was dead set against me getting a Ducati and then I realised his perceptions were based on experiences that were 30 years old.

But expensive is indisputable and then there is the waiting for parts from Italy chenanigans that you have to go through.

I still say that you can do as much reasearch about the technicals as you like, but at the end of the day for me it's got to feel right.

Your right, I need to have a sit on a few machines and see what feels right. I found a couple of years ago when I was shopping around for a bike that some tourers werent that comfy suprisingly yet a Busa fitted me well, but too powerful for first bike.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
08-09-10, 06:30 PM
Ducati's are so beautiful but, after trying a few out, I'd stay Jap. They seem to be bomb proof, apart from mine but even that'll be better after it's finished and is was in very good condition for something that hadn't been looked after for 19 years :)

Bikermouse
08-09-10, 11:19 PM
Does anyone have experience of the BMW K1200s or know anyone who has owned one?

and my hubby has a K1200s, so any questions feel free to PM me.

kj

Ducatista
09-09-10, 10:02 AM
Bear in mind also that with recent exchange rate variations, Jap bikes have increased in price the most, European bikes have increased in price to a lesser extent and Triumph have improved in value relatively speaking.

Basically throw away any preconceived ideas you have and start from scratch.

For both Ducati and BMW you will have to travel to get a decent dealer.
Anecdotals about the Bristol lot are not posistive although plenty of people overcome this issue.

CBRowner
09-09-10, 10:15 AM
I've found that the further north you go, the better the bike prices.

I was looking at a nearly new Ducati 996 for about £4000 in a place near Stone in Staffordshire. It came with all the usual dealer benefits, including warranty etc.

Check them out at www.dansmotorcycles.co.uk [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
09-09-10, 02:04 PM
Well I would say get an FJ1200, for £6k you could get 3 or 4 good ones!

Scotty
09-09-10, 06:51 PM
Want something comfortable but are considering a 1098??? :-? Will your insurance cheque cover intensive physiotherapy after you're fit enough to ride again? You'll need it if you want to ride one of them any distance (stands back and awaits the usual irate reply from outraged Ducati owners whenever someone dares criticise their beloved marque... cam belts anyone? ::))

BladeTriple
10-09-10, 08:01 AM
I'd stay Jap. They seem to be bomb proof :)

Unless of course they were being built in a factory in Hiroshima or Nagasaki :o

BladeTriple
10-09-10, 08:06 AM
Starting again with a lump of cash is like being a kid in a sweet shop.... dealers and bike sellers alike all want your money , its your deal to make or break .... get out there and try LOADS ... go out pick a dozen or so ride them all, consider bikes you would never normally look at too, narrow it down to a few then ride them again, read reviews online, listen to your mates but ultimately make your own mind up , its you that has to live with it , ride it and at the end of the day if you are not happy with it you can only blame yourself then.

I bought my GSXR1000 after my Fireblade on a whim, good price lots of shiny extras good looking machine ... I F***ING HATED IT! 2 years, 4000 miles and its gone and good bloody riddance to it ! I should've test ridden it instead of thinking wow its had great write ups and listening to all the speed freaks and boy and girl racers bigging it up ... NEVER AGAIN !

Seriously test ride loads of them all styles shapes and sizes and pick the right one for you not some bugger else ! x [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BladeTriple
10-09-10, 08:10 AM
ps if you buy a second hand machine thats been run in already too you will save on the VAT of a new one and not have to do the painstaking 600 to 1000 miles at 6000rpm and have it serviced after 6 weeks when all you want to do is ride , ride and ride some more !!

Jon_W
10-09-10, 08:28 AM
If you want new see if the dealers have any of last years models pre-registered. These often come with excellent discounts.

Don't be in a hurry. The weather is s*1t at the mo, have a look, take a load of test rides and see what you like. I remember a mate of mine a few years back wanted a VFR... rode it, liked it.... then rode a ducatti ST4 ans was boled over by it. It's now four years old and been 100% reliable.

Once you know what you want then look for the deals and the second hand. For the bikes your after this is a good idea as most will barely be over the 1st service....

Good luck and good hunting. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
10-09-10, 10:38 AM

I've done sports bikes, I've even done cruisers and I've done tourers... ST1300, FJR and yep, even an 1800 Goldwing. For me, the K1200S and now the K1300S is simply the best bike in existence. Awesome power and performance when you want it coupled with superb handling and long distance comfort. Don't tell everyone though coz I like the pipe smoking exclusivity :)

How do the K1200s fair after 15,000 miles on 2 or 3 year old bike?
Anything major need replacing at this mileage?

thanks

Paul

hotdog
10-09-10, 11:20 AM
Not that I know of Paul, in fact I think that describes very well the bike that Paul (Bikermouse' husband) bought earlier this year. If you bought from a BMW dealer if there was anything that needed replacing they'd fix it before selling it to you. Having said that, most owners seem to take very good care of them too. Providing it starts and rides OK and doesn't make any funny noises idling then it's most likely going to provide years of trouble free service.

The biggest problems the K1200's have is clutches, which on some snatch a little or even judder. BMW will fix these free of charge usually. Although I suspect most have been replaced now.

Look for one with the maximum number of toys... and don't buy one that at least doesn't have ESA that's the electronic suspension adjustment... it works - very well!

Other toys worth considering... ASC (Traction control), Computer, Tyre pressure monitors, heated grips.

You won't be disappointed.

BIKETRANSPORT
10-09-10, 12:27 PM
hi i have a 2006 gsx1300 hyabusa, 2 owners from new, fsh very tidy i will supply with some extras like tank cover and new cat 1 alarm, price will be around £5500-5750!! thanks a1biketransport@rocketmail.com, 07800600583