PDA

View Full Version : Bike-less Bikermouse

Bikermouse
09-09-10, 07:01 PM
Well thanks to the recall on my bike by Honda UK with a suspected fuel valve leak, I'm currently bikeless (thanks Mr H, you'll be my mode of two wheeled transport for a bit). Took my bike over to GW's as arranged, bike was checked over and the mechanic kindly informed me that with the "yellow paint" on the suspect part this meant that mine was due to be replaced. Now here's the part that really got my goat >:( He'll order the part - "should be" in on Monday and then they'll replace it and let me know when I can pick it up (like some of us don't work for a living!). Now, pardon me for being thick (or just female), but why when they are having a recall of the CBF500A range for this potential problem, do they not have a part in stock?? Thanks Numpty Dumpty for riding over to GW's with me and bringing me back.

smellygerm
09-09-10, 07:04 PM
gutted, :( weathers going to be good at the weekend swell

Davey
09-09-10, 07:24 PM
Most manufacturers only release the recall parts when requested and not stock items. Go buy an Aprilia RSV4 and see how long you'll be waiting for the recall parts! My mates is 8 weeks and still waiting! Also we can't hold all parts in stock incase a customer comes in otherwise we'd need the rest of the ind park for the warehouse required.

woop woop 16 days 8-)

Bikermouse
09-09-10, 07:49 PM
Thanks Stu for the explanation, although in my defence (legalese!!) my bike was booked in (and therefore not a case of in case I came in) as I'd rather be safe than sorry. I opted to leave the bike there rather than ride it back home only to take it back sometime next week to have the replacement part fitted. Just a case of now finding the time (in GW's opening hours) to go back and collect it once the work's been completed. I'm happy to be pillion for a bit though (and save on fuel!) ;)

I'd love to order the RSV4 Stu, but don't think they come with a longer set of legs as well ;D ;D

Davey
09-09-10, 08:44 PM
I can understand the frustration - I've been in the same situation and same with the demos - as manufacturers won't release the parts until they have been checked and confirmed they need changing. As some may not require the recall and it putting it bluntly saves them money! Dealers hate doing recalls too as they give a fraction of the time required to do the job so costs them money too (also if it doesn't need it they don't always get paid to check it - even though it could take a couple of hours)

Snowy
09-09-10, 08:50 PM
I have had one recall on my bike. BMW do it differently - they contact you direct and know by the VIN what parts are needed. You call whichever dealer you want and get it booked in and the parts are there to fit so no extra waiting or travel time. If they need the bike for longer than an hour you can get a free demo bike to play with. :)

Bikermouse
09-09-10, 09:13 PM
Thanks Graeme ;) Another reason to move to the other side..... Get me to North Oxford Garage Mr H! ;D ;D

Snowy
09-09-10, 09:24 PM
Come over to the darkside KJ........ ;)

hotdog
09-09-10, 09:48 PM
Or the bright orange side :)

Davey
09-09-10, 10:15 PM
Nah I'd still rather wait for parts than be tarred with the Beemer owners brush ;D

Snowy
09-09-10, 10:46 PM
Nah I'd still rather wait for parts than be tarred with the Beemer owners brush ;D

There's no rush. When you are ready you will know. It's a state of mind thing. ;D ;D

JAYJAY
09-09-10, 11:31 PM
Best get a trumpet - oh the great resurgence of the Brish bike!!

Davey
10-09-10, 07:41 AM

There's no rush. When you are ready you will know. It's a state of mind thing. ;D ;D

saying that I would consider the 1000rr but same for them with the crank issues people are having to wait for recalls/ repairs. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I must say the Beemer owners on here do seem to be an exception to the rule as the majority of other owners I meet are sooooo boring and thats why they want rid of them ;D

Jon_W
10-09-10, 08:12 AM

You know you ready when:

1: A pipe and slippers becomes essential
2: You moan at the boy racers on sprortsbikes
3: "Back in the day" becomes a commly used phrase

:D [smiley=happy.gif]

Nelly
10-09-10, 12:24 PM
You know you ready when:

3: "Back in the day" becomes a commly used phrase

:D [smiley=happy.gif]
[/quote]

Oh dear. I'm doomed then ;(

Bikermouse
11-09-10, 08:27 PM
Well I'm now back to Bikermouse - got a surprise call this afternoon to say the bike was ready for collection. However I'm not actually too impressed as riding it home and it lost power and cut out on four separate occasions (all at 60/70 mph) - so just like having my old CBR400 again. Phone call to the Service Department on the cards first thing on Monday morning as it was in perfect working order (other than having been on the recall list) when it went in.

Davey
11-09-10, 08:59 PM
was it a lack of fuel lost power or what happened? How far did you travel when it happened?

Snowy
13-09-10, 07:43 AM
Hope you get it sorted KJ. It does seem linked if the bike goes in for a recall on a fuel valve and afterwards exhibits all the signs of fuel starvation.

Jon_W
13-09-10, 08:10 AM
Oh dear. Not good. As Beemerman says, it sounds very much like the work has disturbed somthing.

Bikermouse
13-09-10, 02:25 PM
Hmmph! Update is that I called the Service Manager this morning and was told, in no uncertain terms, that I should reserve judgement on my thoughts until such time as they have the bike back and can see what's what :o. Now, forgive me if I'm just a dumb female biker, but the bike went in in PERFECT working order (it only went in because of a recall by Honda!) it came out, in my opinion, in less than working order. To add insult to injury I was asked to get it back to them. When I suggested that, for obvious reasons, I was NOT riding it back I was asked if I had recovery/breakdown cover and it was suggested that I use this service. Beggars belief really. Having checked with RAC I am NOT covered for more than 10 miles recovery and, added to which I haven't caused the issue with the bike, so don't see why it needs to be my problem >:( >:( >:(

I've phoned the dealership back and told them that RAC will not be used (unless they would like to fetch it when the 10 miles between my house and the dealership has expired ;)) and, all of a sardine, the Service Manager who lives not a million towns away from Devizes, is going to come here this evening to collect my bike (leaving his bike in my garage). Best of British luck mate, hope you don't intend going over 40mph because if you do I hope the back wheel locks up like it did on me :-[ Best I not get any form of bill for the work either because all hell will break lose!

To answer your earlier question Stu, I had gone approx 5 miles from the dealership when it cut out (loss of power and then the engine dying) when I was travelling at national speed limit (which on that particular road was 70mph), - thankfully I was in the inside lane with no traffic behind me - all I needed was a shove up the jacksy by a gurt Truck!) - it then did it again approx 5 miles later at 60 mph (Wroughton to Devizes Road) and the third and fourth times on the Beckhampton straight at approx 55/60 mph. Thereafter I crawled home at a steady 40mph without too much drama. However, anyone that knows this route will know that there is little or no phone signal along this stretch and, even if there was, the dealership had closed at 5.00 p.m. Thankfully Paul was with me because I would have been less than impressed being stranded on my own.

Ducatista
13-09-10, 02:41 PM
I'd be unhappy with their initial response and I think you have every right to be.
If the problem appeared very soon afterwards and appears to be related then they should take the hit. Even if they have doubts then they should do it out of good customer service.
I hope you get it fixed ok soon.

Davey
13-09-10, 03:50 PM
And people wonder why I want to get out of the motor trade so soon :D

They prob asked if you had recovery as that is normally the quickest way to get it in as we don't have service vans and the delivery vans are out delivering bikes - and most cover for more than 10 miles! things are mechanical and due to life they do have mishaps and until they have looked at it they don't know what has happened so no point me speculating who, what how etc until then. Wouldn't be the first time i have seen a bike break down with a fault seperate from the bit that has been fixed - c'mon i ride KTM's and they are a time bomb for things (normally unexpectedly) to happen/ blow up or fall off.

bit like the guy and his brand new ducati at another dealership who handed left the car park and the engine shat itself and left its lunch on the tarmac and a big hole to view it all - they're engines they go wrong and it doesn't take much for it to happen

roll on the 25th 8-)

Bikermouse
13-09-10, 07:12 PM
Bike now collected by the Service Manager and I hope he has a pleasant ride home and to the dealership tomorrow - given that he's at least 6' 2" and a strapping lad at that. Bet he won't be comfortable on my lowered, seat sculpted beast, especially if he tries going over 40mph ;)

Stu - it's a personal thing as to why I can't deal with the bike behaving as it did - I won't go into that on a public forum but it had a very unpleasant outcome for me over 20 years ago and I go into panic mode when ANY bike cuts out like it did (as rider or pillion), hence I got rid of the CBR400 because I wouldn't go anywhere on it without riding with someone which isn't the point of having a bike really.

Davey
13-09-10, 08:08 PM
I wasn't digging at you not riding the bike and no I don't blame you for not wanting to - reason in the past or not. We'll get it sorted - if not Fat Pat has breakdown cover lol