PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good rider?

Morticia
21-09-10, 05:56 PM
I just wonder, what is it?
Kneedowns?
Being able to wheelie? (Hope I spelt that right...)
Being fast?
Being safe?
No points on your license?
Never had an accident?
Never dropped your bike?
Never ever speed? (yeah right!)

I mean, I love riding, can't do half the fancy stuff, nor do I care, as I will ride for as long as I can hold a bike upright, but, what makes a good rider?

wiltshire builders
21-09-10, 06:00 PM
Having fun without infringing on other peoples. That's pretty much my maxim for everything.

Mark_Able
21-09-10, 08:32 PM
Being safe. Doesn't matter if you're fast or not, or whether you can do stunts or not. Being able to 'make progress safely' is the phrase we should all be riding by.

Rossi is awesome on a track, but would he stay alive on the road? Class 1 Police riders are awesome on the road, but would they cut it on the track? Can either do stunts like Gary Rothwell or Jimmy Fireblade?

There is a feeling of being in total control, where nothing scares you, and the bike does exactly what you want it to. Where you know the car driver is about to pull out on you and you're totally prepared. Where you chose a line through a bend, and the bike goes there. You know a good rider when you see one. He doesn't take risks. He's always in the right place on the road. He's always in the right gear, doing the right speed. He seems to flow. I use the term 'he' in the loosest sense... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

On the other hand, there's riders where you know it will only be a matter of time before they have a big one. I've seen it many times... :(

newnut
21-09-10, 09:29 PM
tricky question, depends on the context i spose. someone who rides track and stunts like they were born with a bike between their legs and can take a bike to its limits and beyond that very very rarely if ever comes off i would class as a good rider, but as said before, that doesnt mean they are safe or that i would ever ride pillion with them.

Davey
21-09-10, 10:12 PM
Being safe, controlled and knowing limits (whether personal, vehicle or surroundings)

smellygerm
21-09-10, 10:22 PM
may be its the guy or girl that stops to help you when your in the **** and gets stuck in and dirty to help on the side of the road and wants nothing in return [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
21-09-10, 10:31 PM
I think It's wearing spectacles and riding a 125 Aprilia on L plates!!!! :D :D ;D ;D

Robf
21-09-10, 10:39 PM
Being safe only thing I can really say, whilst making sure your riding within your limits.

Jon_W
22-09-10, 08:11 AM
Anyone who enjoys it!

Kevinb
22-09-10, 08:47 AM
Being safe and knowing your own and your bikes limits. I sometimes ride slowish and sometimes balistic. I don't like seeing people wheelie on a public road. If you have one wheel in the air you are not in control of the bike.
I usually ride with my wife as pillion so I have her life as well as my own in my hands.

DaytonaDog
22-09-10, 06:58 PM
Being safe. Doesn't matter if you're fast or not, or whether you can do stunts or not. Being able to 'make progress safely' is the phrase we should all be riding by.

Rossi is awesome on a track, but would he stay alive on the road? Class 1 Police riders are awesome on the road, but would they cut it on the track? Can either do stunts like Gary Rothwell or Jimmy Fireblade?

There is a feeling of being in total control, where nothing scares you, and the bike does exactly what you want it to. Where you know the car driver is about to pull out on you and you're totally prepared. Where you chose a line through a bend, and the bike goes there. You know a good rider when you see one. He doesn't take risks. He's always in the right place on the road. He's always in the right gear, doing the right speed. He seems to flow. I use the term 'he' in the loosest sense... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

On the other hand, there's riders where you know it will only be a matter of time before they have a big one. I've seen it many times... :(

Couldn't have put it any better if I had tried.

Mark_Able
22-09-10, 08:43 PM
I'm always trying to improve myself and learn more. If you think you're the best rider in the world, you're not. Even the best riders want to be better. I tackle everything as a learning experience, whether it be Race Schools, Track Days, Racing, Advanced riding, etc. I'm trying to learn from every experience. I must have read 'Twist of the Wrist II' about eight times. After each chapter there is a blank page for you to make notes. I'd make my notes in pencil, then as my riding improved or changed, I'd rub out the old notes to make new ones. After reading each chapter I would go out for a ride and work on the weakness' I'd identified. It is the best book I've read to help you understand your riding and your bike. :)

Caz
22-09-10, 10:29 PM
Anyone can ride fast but i would like more practice on slow manovers eg U turns although the number of times we get lost i should be an expert and I have a traffic cone fixation ;D

jaagsxr
22-09-10, 10:40 PM
twist throttle drop rh bar and drop the clutch ....................volla a u turn :P

Morticia
23-09-10, 06:36 PM
Having fun without infringing on other peoples. That's pretty much my maxim for everything.

Then I'm f**king brilliant, yiiiiiiiiiiiipeee!!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Iceman
23-09-10, 07:42 PM
Have to agree with"Able Training". I'm constantly learning,evolving and never take anything or anyone for granted or become complacent!
I'm very defensive in my riding,read the roads,trusting no one and always slow down when I see blind junctions or a possible threat.I'm not the fastest but I ride with total confidence well within the capabilities of my bike and more importantly know my limits and ride well within my comfort zone! 30 years ago I thought I knew how to ride!lol. 5 years ago I realised I knew very little then. Now, I realise yet again how much I have evolved and expect to improve over the years! Ride safe my friends! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]