PDA

View Full Version : Storing a bike over winter

RachaelEllen
19-09-10, 09:39 PM
As i'm sure many of you know i will shortly be laying up my little 125 over the winter until the weather improves and i can haul it up to darkest Liverpool. As an unexperienced bike owner i was wondering if any of the more knowledgeable riders had any tips of what to do with the bike while it's not being used over the next few months. It will be stored in a garage but somebody mentioned something about a trickle-charger, do i need one of these? (it's a CG125 and has no alarms or gadgets so doesn't requre too much battery power).

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

wiltshire builders
19-09-10, 09:46 PM
A trickle charger is a good idea. Nothing worse that getting ready for a ride and having a flat battery. Changing all the fluids while you store it and changing them again when the summer starts is good too.

Just for the record i do none of the above and have never had any trouble but that doesn't mean it's right. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

newnut
19-09-10, 09:54 PM
drain the fuel, it can go off.

RachaelEllen
19-09-10, 09:58 PM
Ah good job i ran it nearly empty on the way back from the Isle of Wight today, i was too tired to go into a petrol station! I shall attempt to follow the above advice, i'll let you know how i get on!

Green Man
19-09-10, 10:46 PM
Rach would take the battery off and put inside in the warm over the winter last 2 years ive had 2 batterys go down [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif

PS stick something over the end of the exhausts to keep the damp out [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Or get Dad to take it out for a run a few times ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
20-09-10, 08:06 AM
I always run the tank down (but never empty). Turn the fuel off it there's a tap, pump the tyres up, stick a cover over the bike and leave it. Occasionally I disconnect the battery. Never had a problem.

Ducatista
20-09-10, 11:05 AM
Have you considered riding it over the winter instead?
Obviosuly I don't mean in the ice and snow, but I've done some really nice rideouts in the winter last year.
It's a shame to park it up for many months.

CBRowner
20-09-10, 12:03 PM
There's a handy section in the back of Haynes Manuals about what to do to store a bike over long periods.

It says to disconnect your spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in there.

Try to raise the tyres off the ground to prevent tyre decay.

Disconnect the battery or use an optimiser (trickle charge thing).

Bung the exhaust to prevent rain/damp from getting in.

Lube everything up with enough to cover the time it's not in use.

And cover the bike to prevent you having to clean it come summer [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Obviously this is for my bike but I'm sure it's the same principle for other bikes :)

RachaelEllen
20-09-10, 01:55 PM
I would love to ride it over winter but i'm moving back up to Liverpool and i have nowhere proper to store it. When the weather gets a bit better in the spring i'm hoping to take it up and just leave it in the backgarden (all chained up, gotta watch these scousers ;D).

Thanks for all the advice everybody, greatly appreciated :)

Morticia
20-09-10, 07:16 PM
Can't help, I ride all year. I can offer to ride it for you though, that way you won't have to worry about any of that ;D

JAYJAY
20-09-10, 07:25 PM
A little drop of upper cylinder lubricant in the plug holes is a good idea to stop the rings cold weilding - and as others have said - disconnect battery and keep warm - protect the tyres - bung the exhaust and cover it up.

The redex will make it smoke like billio the first time you start it, but not for long - better than damaging the bore.

Of course - the best way is to ride it a just a couple of miles every week or so

amills
20-09-10, 07:51 PM
Don't want to contradict some of the advice already given but I always store my bike with a full tank as otherwise condensation forms inside the tank and you end up with water collecting at the bottom of tank (which incidentlly can be removed by adding some meths - 100ml per two gallons- meths readily mixes with both petrol and water so mixes them both together allowing the water to get burnt-off with the rest of the fuel).

I stick the battery on trickle charge once every 4-6 weeks for a couple of days (usually after turning the engine over - lubricates the engine inards). Fluids topped up on storage.

Lastly, I liberally coat the whole bike (protecting the brakes/brake discs of course) with ACF50. This is a water repellant and stops the winter moisture getting into knooks and crannies and forming rust. Those wanting to use their bike over the winter months coat the engine and lower part of bike and ride thru' the winter, then just wash off all the winter crap at the beginning of the better Spring weather.

Then just cover bike with one of GW's cheap dust covers.

However, everyone has their own way of doing things, i.e there's no right or wrong way; so just do what you feel is right.

Aaron

ZZR600Dude
20-09-10, 09:09 PM
If you dont treat the disks and pads with water repellent, then at least move the bike a few feet forward and back a few times every coiple of weeks, applying the brakes lightly otherwise you will end up with ceased brakes.

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
20-09-10, 09:15 PM
It's a CG, bump start it in the Spring... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
21-09-10, 07:52 AM
It's a CG, bump start it in the Spring... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Don't they still have kick start???

TBH, I don't do a lot when storing a bike over winter. I just ensure it is in good health before putting it away (oil, tyres, chain, etc) and then cover it over in the corner 'till spring. If you are outside then removing the battery is good, as is ensuring that condensation dosen't form inside the cover.

Cemorah
21-09-10, 09:03 AM
My 2P's worth

Best to ride it - even if it is just 10 miles or so every couple of weeks. Keeps the brakes free of rust stops bearings drying out and burns off any condensation from the engine.
Change the oil in spring

But if you must store it

Trickle charge the battery,
Lube the chain,
Fill tank,
Push the engine to compression (then both valves will be closed), Why bother to change oil before storage if you aren't going to ride it? Change it after the first ride in spring

dell_boy
23-09-10, 09:21 PM
Don't want to contradict some of the advice already given but I always store my bike with a full tank as otherwise condensation forms inside the tank and you end up with water collecting at the bottom of tank (which incidentlly can be removed by adding some meths - 100ml per two gallons- meths readily mixes with both petrol and water so mixes them both together allowing the water to get burnt-off with the rest of the fuel).

I stick the battery on trickle charge once every 4-6 weeks for a couple of days (usually after turning the engine over - lubricates the engine inards). Fluids topped up on storage.

Lastly, I liberally coat the whole bike (protecting the brakes/brake discs of course) with ACF50. This is a water repellant and stops the winter moisture getting into knooks and crannies and forming rust. Those wanting to use their bike over the winter months coat the engine and lower part of bike and ride thru' the winter, then just wash off all the winter crap at the beginning of the better Spring weather.

Then just cover bike with one of GW's cheap dust covers.

However, everyone has their own way of doing things, i.e there's no right or wrong way; so just do what you feel is right.

Aaron

+1 on fuel,..leave it full,..no condensation = no rust!!!!