PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go when you don't know where to go?

Morticia
11-09-10, 03:47 PM
I was just wondering what you guys do when riding on your own. Do you plan ahead? Do you take a known and trusted route? Do you google something? Sat nav any random post code, or POI?

Jacde
11-09-10, 04:56 PM
For me at the moment it will be routes I know so I can concentrate on my bike and riding, once I've gained more confidence I'll pick destinations or just point my bike and go! Don't do sat nav, I like maps. :)

Toph
11-09-10, 05:00 PM
I choose a nice country road and ride it to see where it goes. :D 8-) [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

AlanMc
11-09-10, 05:02 PM
i pick a star and follow it, so i cud end up anywhere, as there is no stars during the day. ;D

rich1988
11-09-10, 05:15 PM
normally just point myself in a direction I know like towards newbury and take all of the random side roads b roads and little lanes i can find :) well did anyway :P

Nelly
11-09-10, 05:32 PM
just hop on and see where the bike fancies going. Ride and ride and when i get tired or fed up. I hit "home" on the sat nav and head back.

CBRowner
11-09-10, 07:59 PM
When I used to ride, I used to just get on and go but the last time I did that was on the back roads in Spain where I used to head towards Marbella and stop off in Sotogrande or Banus [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I've never really had the opertunity over here but I did go to towards Sheer Water as there's some nice bendy roads near by [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB
11-09-10, 10:09 PM
Having plotted routes for Bath Classic for years, I'm seldom stuck for a route!

BB

hotdog
11-09-10, 11:30 PM
Yep, just get on and ride and see where we go... could be absolutely anywhere. Definitely turning down all those roads you go past so often thinking "wonder where that goes?"... then when I'm totally lost and realise I left the sat nav at home, try to find my way home :)

BB
12-09-10, 07:43 AM
Yep, just get on and ride and see where we go... could be absolutely anywhere. Definitely turning down all those roads you go past so often thinking "wonder where that goes?"... then when I'm totally lost and realise I left the sat nav at home, try to find my way home :)

That's the way to do it! ;D

BB

Beamer
12-09-10, 08:44 PM
After todays 5 horses run I think I'll ask BB and Don lol....... great day and some brilliant, challenging roads/tracks but brilliant all the same. ;D ;D

BB
12-09-10, 09:02 PM
After todays 5 horses run I think I'll ask BB and Don lol....... great day and some brilliant, challenging roads/tracks but brilliant all the same. ;D ;D

Lol, we have loads of routes like that, some better surfaces and some even worse ::)

BB

Roxy
12-09-10, 09:54 PM
magical mystery tour....if time is not an issue then it doesn't really matter and there is no such thing as lost....just menas you have taken the scenic route!!

great roads today Judy!

Roxy ;D

Jon_W
13-09-10, 08:14 AM
I have a few favoured routes about.

My favorite trick though is to turn off the main road and follow my front wheel to where ever it leads. Did this on Friday and spent an hour somewhere between Bath and BoA... not totaly sure where, but that's the fun!

:D

Jon_W
13-09-10, 08:15 AM
i pick a star and follow it, so i cud end up anywhere, as there is no stars during the day. ;D

Yes there are, the Sun!!!!

Morticia
13-09-10, 11:26 AM
I have a few favoured routes about.

My favorite trick though is to turn off the main road and follow my front wheel to where ever it leads. Did this on Friday and spent an hour somewhere between Bath and BoA... not totaly sure where, but that's the fun!

:D

I ended up in Bristol yesterday, don't havea clue how I got there...

Nooj
13-09-10, 11:34 PM
Depends really. Mostly I just ride around linking up bits of road I like.

Every now and again I'll set a target, ride there, look around and ride back.

A fun thing to do is to pick one road that starts close by and ride the whole length of it. Last time I did that I ended up picking up the A30 in Stockbridge and riding the entire length of it to Lands End where I stopped, had a pastie, took some photos and then rode back up the A30 to home. The A417 is another one I like, from Reading to Leominster or there abouts. B4009 is one I haven't done yet, Newbury to Tring.

Morticia
21-09-10, 05:52 PM
Depends really. Mostly I just ride around linking up bits of road I like.

Every now and again I'll set a target, ride there, look around and ride back.

A fun thing to do is to pick one road that starts close by and ride the whole length of it. Last time I did that I ended up picking up the A30 in Stockbridge and riding the entire length of it to Lands End where I stopped, had a pastie, took some photos and then rode back up the A30 to home. The A417 is another one I like, from Reading to Leominster or there abouts. B4009 is one I haven't done yet, Newbury to Tring.

Thanks for that, I really like that idea, and you've given me two new roads to get started on, ta! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mcicy
22-09-10, 08:04 AM
I go into the magical world of video games.....

but in bike riding terms usually out to somewhere like Bourton on the Water for a pint

Kevinb
22-09-10, 08:43 AM
If we just want a blast out somewhere either Malborough, cup of tea, something to eat and then decide which way to get home.
Otherwise just ride, turn off and wait until we see somewhere we know to make our way back from.

zachl
22-09-10, 11:05 AM
i have never been anywhere i dont know, i always do the same boring routes on my own just to blow the cobwebs off. speaking as a satnav or die man, i would get very very lost if i went somewhere i didnt know lol

Roll_on
22-09-10, 11:43 AM
Just take alternate left and righs and see where I end up. Not too far these days unlike the past when I have gone off for a ride and been gone days even ended up in Glasgow once.

Mitch9128
22-09-10, 12:02 PM
Most of the time, i just head for work, but as i work 80 miles away in Frimley i can choose loads of ways to get here. Anyway it's 12, the sun is shining, i'm bored stiff, i'm bugging out the long way home over the plain ;D

Nico_babe
22-09-10, 01:01 PM
I think the ride from Devizes, Malb, hungerford, Newbury, up through Andover way is LOVELY and its mostly the nice twisty A road

Moo
22-09-10, 05:49 PM
I usually start off with a rough idea of which direction to go in and take it from there, avoiding towns and especially cities and busy A roads.

Kevinb
23-09-10, 01:52 PM
Another good route is home to Trowbridge Tesco's, get a bottle of wine and a packet of fags stuff them down the front of my jacket and then home ;D

Morticia
23-09-10, 06:34 PM
I think the ride from Devizes, Malb, hungerford, Newbury, up through Andover way is LOVELY and its mostly the nice twisty A road

I do like that route! I do Swine Town, Marlborough then the rest, it is NICE!

BB
23-09-10, 06:39 PM
If we just want a blast out somewhere either Malborough, cup of tea, something to eat and then decide which way to get home.
Otherwise just ride, turn off and wait until we see somewhere we know to make our way back from.

Scrap the fags & get 2 bottles.... :D

BB

Morticia
23-09-10, 06:42 PM

BB

Wrong quote BB, you wanted the Tesco's one. Every little helps ;D

Iceman
23-09-10, 07:45 PM
Usualy I take a familiar bit of twisty road working on my lines in a safe manner.Sometimes I go farther within the limits of my tank but always enjoy the thrill of riding for its' own intoxicating pleasure! On a sunny day I will fill up and cruise off anywhere where the road may take me.Always enjoying the freedom of the open road! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
24-09-10, 10:30 AM

BB

Scrap the fags and the wine and buy more petrol!!!! :D

BB
24-09-10, 12:47 PM

BB

Scrap the fags and the wine and buy more petrol!!!! :D

Wine is probably cheaper per litre! :D

BB

Jon_W
24-09-10, 12:57 PM
True,

But I'm not sure you can run a bike on wine..... :D

BB
24-09-10, 07:53 PM
That's a good point, however you shouldn't drink & drive...

Just drink...... or drive :D

BB

bobf279
25-09-10, 03:38 PM
Have a couple of local routes which are good just to make sure the bikes are ticking over. If we have time and the weather is reasonable we zip off and explore different roads.

Nooj
27-09-10, 11:42 PM
At this time of year, head West in the morning and return East in the afternoon, that way the sun will be behind you all day, not shining in your face.