PDA

View Full Version : Recession????

spudgun
22-09-10, 02:36 PM
I don't think dealers are feeling the pinch, ringing around dealers for a new bike, so far only 1 has returned my call - since monday!!

Jon_W
22-09-10, 02:55 PM
Know the feeling.

Went into and unamed large dealer looking at a new Bonnie. I wad interested, but the salesman wasn't so after 30mins trying to get served, then being fobbed off with a leaflet I already had, I made my feelings clear and departed....

Never been interested in buying a new bike since!!! ;) Stick to 2nd hand... save the cash!!!

pilninggas
22-09-10, 05:18 PM
The attention received by a salesman is inversely proportional to the actual desire to buy! :D :D

wiltshire builders
22-09-10, 08:27 PM
I was told today by the manager of a large dealership in Bristol (not that one) that used prices are set to tumble over the winter and they're desperate to get rid of stock. You'd think they'd snatch your arm off. Never liked salesmen. They always make you feel like they're doing you a favour.

BB
22-09-10, 08:50 PM
I recall going to look at buying a bike from one Bristol dealership only to find him talking to the fella I was with as tho' I wasn't there! Never mind that he wasn't going to ride it or pay for it >:(

Whenever I want to feel invisible I go to the same dealership..... times without number I have walked round there and only spoken to the people in the cafe.... ::)

Mind you I have done the same in a certain dealership with cafe towards the north of Wiltshire....

Must have the sort of attitude about me that says 'KEEP AWAY' :D

BB

Nelly
22-09-10, 09:35 PM
Had the same thing last year. Hung around in the shop talking to a salesman. he eventually went off to get the manager and "sort something out" for me. Came back 10 minutes later and offered me £250 off. I wandered off laughing....never been back since.

amills
22-09-10, 09:55 PM
Friend of mine is having the exact opposite from a Cheltenham BMW dealer, i.e. falling over backwards to get a sale. He's offering a cracking trade-in price and is including a series of accessories in price.

Seems there is a complacency issue with the multi-franchaise dealers probably not helped by most Brits not prepared to haggle and more importantly, walk-away. I did this when I was looking for a Jap cruiser. Went prepared with some market/dealer research I'd done. Stated terms I was prepared to accept, didn't get so thanked the rep, left my number in case they changed their minds and walked away. 40 mins later got a call with an offer close to what I wanted but got them to include a 10% discount on some accessories/kit I was also intending to buy. Rode away a week later with a shiney new ride.

Stay friendly (build a rapport), know what you want and more importantly know your walk-away point (but leave the door open for rep to re-engage without losing face).

Moral: if you don't ask, you don't get.

jaagsxr
22-09-10, 11:43 PM
i have too agree the bmw sales are v professional but interested in you , i have had a couple of test rides at bmw dealers and they are all to pleased to help BUT you ring up a multi franchise dealer in swindin and they dont even call you back ? ......................so bike was bought else where!!! go figure??? :o

Davey
23-09-10, 08:14 AM
Never liked salesmen. They always make you feel like they're doing you a favour.

Cheers then! :-? I personally try to bend over backwards to help customers - the ones I don't like are the ones with ****ty attitudes - ****ty attitude = worse deal have a nice attitude and we'd try more as makes it more enjoyable.

But I must admit I don't like the attitudes of many sales people I have encountered whether it be bikes, home goods etc I personally don't like to be pounced on as soon as I walk in the door - I'll greet people but not pounce

Then again I only have 2 days remaining as a sales person [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Davey
23-09-10, 08:15 AM
Spud - what bike you looking for?

spudgun
23-09-10, 09:02 AM
i hate to say it, these are fairly small dealers, one large multi franchise in Bristol. I've not even spoken to sales people yet, still awaiting call backs!

One dealer had the decency to call back, to say they had sold their allocation of the specific bike i was after, but had similar alternatives.

Stu, it's another orange one ;)

Davey
23-09-10, 09:25 AM
i hate to say it, these are fairly small dealers, one large multi franchise in Bristol. I've not even spoken to sales people yet, still awaiting call backs!

One dealer had the decency to call back, to say they had sold their allocation of the specific bike i was after, but had similar alternatives.

Stu, it's another orange one ;)

Gotta be Orange - what model and I'll see what I can find even though we don't sell them [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Hopefully I'm orange again next month with a nice 525 8-)

Ducatista
23-09-10, 10:18 AM
Must have the sort of attitude about me that says 'KEEP AWAY

No it's not you, it's just that some salesmen can only see women as a pillion, which is their problem because ultimately they are going to lose a growing market share.

spudgun
23-09-10, 11:27 AM

i'm after a 10 model year 450 or 530 exc, but must be unregistered

BB
23-09-10, 12:46 PM

No it's not you, it's just that some salesmen can only see women as a pillion, which is their problem because ultimately they are going to lose a growing market share.

They will be expecting us to do housework next! :D

BB

Kevinb
23-09-10, 01:40 PM

My wife Pat feels exactly the same & not just in bike dealerships. Invisable at times.
I've also had it where they stare straight past you even with me being the size of a small garden shed. Last time it was in a garden centre maybe that was the problem ;D

Davey
23-09-10, 08:11 PM

I'll see what I can find tomorrow 8-)

Whizzy
24-09-10, 10:41 AM
"I recall going to look at buying a bike from one Bristol dealership only to find him talking to the fella I was with as tho' I wasn't there! Never mind that he wasn't going to ride it or pay for it >:("
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had the same problem - I suspect the same place - but I took great pleasure in seeing him blush and look very awkward when I pointed out to him that he had naturally assumed that the bike was for my husband and that the bike was actually for me - his attitude was very sexist - hence he didn't hang around making a pest of himself! Grrr >:(

Davey
24-09-10, 08:24 PM

I'll see what I can find tomorrow 8-)

Waiting for KYM UK to get back to me as I can't find one anywhere - hopefully they should know if someone has one [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CBRowner
28-09-10, 03:31 PM
I get fobbed off all the time when I go into some dealers.

I'm guessing it's something to do with how old I look and I do like to ask lots of questions, not only to find out what I'm getting but also to find out if the bloke knows what he's talking about.

I'm still looking for a good deal on a bike and I have the ability to buy. I think my next option is to go to a dealer and drop a load of cash on his desk, obviously slightly less than the bike's up for, and see if they'll take that for the bike I want :D

Nooj
29-09-10, 01:33 AM
It's already been said, but getting yourself known (in a good way) with the shop staff is a good start to getting good deals. Debz (the Missus) always gets taken seriously down at ProBike as they all know that she knows what she's talking about, they've been servicing her Fazer since new and have seen it go from 600 - 80,000 miles in the last six years so know better than to try and bull**** her about bike-stuff.