PDA

View Full Version : gpz500s cam tensioner

Red Zed 1
02-10-10, 05:40 PM
can anybody help or advise,my gpz500s('94 on L reg)has an annoying rattle at idle/overrun which is down to the cam chain tensioner not doing its job..short of paying a fortune for a new genuine one,does anyone know of a suitable replacement i.e. from a different engine/manufacturer..my original is of the corkscrew variety,i would like to fit a ratchet type..would a manual adjuster work or is auto better..could i convert my existing adjuster to manual?..any help would be much appreciated :-/

thegasman2000
04-10-10, 11:14 AM
Researching my new GPZ550 :D it seems the auto tensioners on some models are rubbish and many people fit manual ones.Cheaper and more reliable and save a rebuilt engine nightmare. Wouldn't know what one, or how to fit though sorry. :(

jonnydangerous
04-10-10, 01:31 PM
i used to use "APE" manual tensioners, never had a problem....i even made my own for a Husky....
easy to fit too, gissa shout if you get stuck :-)

Red Zed 1
04-10-10, 10:06 PM
i used to use "APE" manual tensioners, never had a problem....i even made my own for a Husky....
easy to fit too, gissa shout if you get stuck :-)
cheers for info..i have my eye on a gpz900 manual tensioner that looks a possiblity,but if it dont work then your idea sounds good,where could i get one? :)