PDA

View Full Version : Riding Skills

wi77y
29-09-10, 07:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I currently own a ybr 125 new 60 plate but had my cbt for a year n want to take my full test in january,

And have a feeling i have picked up bad habits all ready and wondeerd if anyone fancied going for a ride soon so i can gain some helpful advice
- road position -
- gearing -
- breaking e.t.c.. im not a bad rider im 24 not some little teenager- but i also work as a chef so very unsociable hours so not weekend rides.

Thanks willy :)

newnut
29-09-10, 07:41 PM
your best bet would be for someone to meet you before going to one of the meets in an evening. most rideouts are on the weekends. your 24 so going to a pub meet is going to be fine. hopefully you can tag along with sum1 to the old nick in wootton basset on a tuesday evening, or the harp and crown on a wednesday or maybe the salutation inn on a thursday. check out the "meets & rideouts" section and ask on one of those. might help if you put where your located. good luck with the test mate!

Mark_Able
29-09-10, 08:00 PM
I'm sending you a PM mate. ;)

JAYJAY
30-09-10, 12:18 AM
A very sensible 24 yr old I might add!

I've been riding (with a couple of few year breaks) since 1965. I was knocked off my bike by a Clio in June this year and with all the other 'offs' mentioned on this site recently with fellow WB'ers getting injured I'm thinking of taking some sort of 'refresher' training after Chrimbo.

I'm thinking the road is a much more dangerous place than when I took my simple test on an old Triumph Tiger Cub. The roads are more crowded with stupid car drivers that shouldn't be allowed in a car as a passenger let alone be in control of the thing. Anything we can do that improves our skill and safety has to be a good thing.

We're never too clever, experienced or whatever to learn from the experts! So good luck with the training - your riding skills will benefit massively

ABLE TRAINING - Do I get Commission? ;D ;D ;D ;D

njl
30-09-10, 01:33 AM
Should you wish to get out on the road sometime I'm usually working weekends too, so can do midweek days, though the actual day will vary week to week.

Jon_W
30-09-10, 08:11 AM
Speak to Able Training... they'll put you straight. I did their advanced course a few years back and it was a great day and learned a hell of a lot.

I must say if more riders and drivers were like you Willy, the roads would be a better place!!

wi77y
30-09-10, 10:32 AM
Yea my dad said he done an advnace course and it benifited him a lot at the time.
Thanks for help guys i will try come to ride or pub meet soon.

jonnydangerous
30-09-10, 10:48 AM
dont think theres anyone here whos perfect ;-)
loads of us get it wrong quite often, and heve probably got even more bad habbits than you!
like others have said, a professional lesson would be best, alot of us would benefit from that, most of our "bike skills" are pretty good, but maybe a attitude change, or concentration lesson now and again wouldnt go amis...

good subject!

BB
30-09-10, 01:32 PM
dont think theres anyone here whos perfect ;-)
loads of us get it wrong quite often, and heve probably got even more bad habbits than you!
like others have said, a professional lesson would be best, alot of us would benefit from that, most of our "bike skills" are pretty good, but maybe a attitude change, or concentration lesson now and again wouldnt go amiss...

good subject!

Quite agree - and it's not a pop at anyone - I include myself in there. I've done various advanced training and will almost ceertainly do more in the future. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Ducatista
30-09-10, 01:59 PM
+1

We went with Rapid training this year, and will continue to do more training.
With life & limb at stake it makes a lot of sense.

Ghost
30-09-10, 06:27 PM
Recommend advanced training [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
01-10-10, 09:07 PM
A very sensible 24 yr old I might add!

I've been riding (with a couple of few year breaks) since 1965. I was knocked off my bike by a Clio in June this year and with all the other 'offs' mentioned on this site recently with fellow WB'ers getting injured I'm thinking of taking some sort of 'refresher' training after Chrimbo.

I'm thinking the road is a much more dangerous place than when I took my simple test on an old Triumph Tiger Cub. The roads are more crowded with stupid car drivers that shouldn't be allowed in a car as a passenger let alone be in control of the thing. Anything we can do that improves our skill and safety has to be a good thing.

We're never too clever, experienced or whatever to learn from the experts! So good luck with the training - your riding skills will benefit massively

ABLE TRAINING - Do I get Commission? ;D ;D ;D ;D

No, but I'll do you a deal on an Saferider course... ;D [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ZZR600Dude
04-10-10, 01:50 PM
I wouldnt mind a refresher myself. Hopefully getting new bike in the next few months. I was getting a bit over confident until my crash end of August, certainly put me back in my place and now I realise how dangerous it can be out there.

Also lost a lot of confidence, think its going to be hard getting back on a bike.

:)

BB
04-10-10, 07:28 PM
I wouldnt mind a refresher myself. Hopefully getting new bike in the next few months. I was getting a bit over confident until my crash end of August, certainly put me back in my place and now I realise how dangerous it can be out there.

Also lost a lot of confidence, think its going to be hard getting back on a bike.

I had a fairly major off back in 2006, as when I was back on a bike (after 3 months) and had pottered around for a month or so I booked myself a couple of days with Able. They tailored traning to suit. I did one day back to basics on a school bike and 2nd day on my brand new FZ1. Well worth doing and really helped me a lot. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

Mark_Able
04-10-10, 08:34 PM

I had a fairly major off back in 2006, as when I was back on a bike (after 3 months) and had pottered around for a month or so I booked myself a couple of days with Able. They tailored traning to suit. I did one day back to basics on a school bike and 2nd day on my brand new FZ1. Well worth doing and really helped me a lot. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BB

You after commision as well BB? ;D

Seriously, I'm just glad we got you back going again... ;)

BB
05-10-10, 06:59 PM
So am I. ;) I wasn't fit to live with while I was unable to ride and once back on board really needed my confidence building up again. I really appreciated your team effort. :-*

BB

Mark_Able
05-10-10, 09:08 PM
So am I. ;) I wasn't fit to live with while I was unable to ride and once back on board really needed my confidence building up again. I really appreciated your team effort. :-*

BB

It gives me a warm feeling to know we made a difference... :)