PDA

View Full Version : Any proper rich buggers on here?

Mark_Able
27-09-10, 09:32 PM
The reason I ask is that I'm so frustrated with the racing talent we have in this country going by-the-wayside because of lack of sponsorship. What I would like to do is compile a list of would-be sponsors, ready to put their money into a pot, so that when someone outstanding (preferably from the West) comes to light, we can step in to help them on their way. It may be that you work/manage/own a business that can see the benefit of advertising on the side of a race bike. That may be a business that would like to sponsor local talent. That may be a business that wants to be seen promoting in the local area. It may be one large business, or it may be many smaller business'. We could really start something here on WiltshireBikers that could put local riders on the map, or catapult them into the limelight. Bike racing is something I am passionate about, as a lot of people are. But I find it frustrating that local riders have got the talent but not the backing. As many of you are aware, bike racing is a very expensive sport. Why should the talented riders we have, not get a chance purely because they don't have the backing?

So who out there is willing to get involved? Who would like to see either one, or a whole bunch of local business', emblazoned on a local racer's bike? Come on guys, send me a PM if you think it's possible... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
27-09-10, 09:48 PM
By the way, it would be interesting to see how many folks would support this idea. Who thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree? Who thinks it's a great idea?

BB
27-09-10, 10:03 PM
It's a great idea! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] If I was filthy rich I'd sponsor someone, sadly I'm not :'(

BB

Jacde
27-09-10, 10:24 PM
We were talking about getting WB on a bike when we were at castle combe at the beginning of the month, no idea what sort of costs are involved tho!

Toph
27-09-10, 11:08 PM
shouldn't cost too much Jackie..... a small pot of B&Q emulsion and a half inch brush should do it!! we might have to do it whilst the owner of the bike isn't looking though!!! :D :D ;D ;D
on a serious note... as a petrolhead I would love to sponsor an up and coming local racer but sadly I aint rich!!! :'( [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
28-09-10, 08:07 AM
We have a allocated budget for marketing and advertising.

Kind of a very nice idea. I like the idea of helping someone out AND receiving some healthy marketing/Ad bonuses...and a few perks no doubt!!

What sort of sponsorship figures are you talking to set someone up?
How many willing sponsors could you find on WB's?
If there is enough interest to keep the figures at a reasonable level then i'd be interested to discuss it some more. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
28-09-10, 11:22 AM
We don't have much spare cash in the business (talking about my proper job..not WB :P) but would be willing to chip in what we can for a sponsorship logo etc

CBRowner
28-09-10, 12:14 PM
What about all those interested, on this forum, come together to sponser a rider??

There are a few people on here that can service the bike, paint it and be able to kit out the rider. This way would be a cheaper option and it'll promote the site and give everyone involved that feel good factor when they see what they've done riding round a track and competing.

Dabz
28-09-10, 12:58 PM
It's race entry etc that costs, plus tyres, rather than equipment from what I've read :/

Morticia
28-09-10, 01:11 PM
I think it's a brilliant idea, but I'm brokeon a good day...

CBRowner
28-09-10, 01:13 PM
Fair enough but there's over a thousand people on here and there must be enough that are willing to put the effort in for some local talent especially as most of us spend a fortune going to these events they might as well do it from the paddock for a team that they're involved in.

It was just a thought anyway, possibly a crazy one but still a thought :D

ollie
28-09-10, 04:28 PM
i would sponser someone but not enough funds can only afford for me to just about go racing. if anyone likes their buisness advertised i could fit a couple of stickers on my race bike next year and help promote you buisness???

Mark_Able
28-09-10, 10:38 PM
It's good to see that most people seem to think it's a good idea. Just to give you idea of costs, when I ran in the cheapest class 'StreetStocks' with NGRoadRacing, I reckon to have spent £9500 that year. I was talking to Charlie Bishop about how much it was to run for a season in the Yamaha R1 Cup, and he said his tyre bill was £12000 by itself! So it depends on what level you go in at. I did find that by having a few smaller sponsors, it made a real difference. Some sponsors might have paid for a set of tyres (around £200), but some forked out a lot more, like Will from Charlies Bar in Westbury, who bought my one piece suit amongst other things. When I was sponsoring Victor Cox through his two years in the Yamaha R6 Cup, I was one of many. Each gave what they could, and each got their name on his bike and race truck. I even got my name mentioned on telly when he won the Brands Hatch round... :)
The point being, we could have 20 sponsors all contributing £500, or we could have 5 sponsors dishing out £2000. It makes no odds, they'll all get advertising space, they all get thanked when it goes well. I bet the early sponsors of Mr V. Rossi are glad they got involved when they did. Keep pushing the idea on your employers... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
29-09-10, 09:33 AM
On those figures, if each member of WB donated £1 a month we could have a WB race team :P

Mark_Able
29-09-10, 12:48 PM
That's why I said 'proper rich'. But as they say, every little helps... :-/

jonnydangerous
29-09-10, 04:00 PM
i already sponsor a pub and a kebab shop....... ;D

David_S
29-09-10, 05:38 PM
I have always been in to classic bike racing i.e. Goldstars, but as a crap rider never been able to do it. I would be really interested in helping set up a team if there is a good rider out there who would be up for it as well. But would want others in the consortium to a, share the pain of the cash and b, share the fun of campaigning and lets be optimistic winning. Is anyone out there up for it ?

Nooj
29-09-10, 06:06 PM
I'd love to sponser a racer, my customers are bikers so it would be an ideal place to advertise. I'm far from a rich bugger though, I've already had very little work this year and today's repairs to the van now mean I'm about £1000 into the red. No pay for me for the next few months :-(

What I need is proper rich buggers to pay me to work on their bikes, then when I can cover my bills and pay myself a regular wage I can start sponsoring a racer [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BIKETRANSPORT
29-09-10, 06:16 PM
Great idea ive often thought if a group got together its possible, i spend a grand a year on advertising id rather put it into a bike and watch it race???

Mark_Able
29-09-10, 07:58 PM
So DavidS and BIKETRANSPORT could be the first two on the list. If you'd both like to send me a PM, we could start a list. When we're getting somewhere, we'll hold a meeting to discuss possible candidates. Well done guys for thinking along my wavelength. Now who else wants to join the party? [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Dabz
30-09-10, 08:50 AM
have PM'd ya :)

Bikermouse
30-09-10, 07:27 PM
Wish I knew some because I'm involved with sponsorship for the newly crowned 2010 British Supersport Champion, Sam Lowes, finding sponsors even for someone who has been leading the Supersport Championship for almost all of the season is difficult, at best.

Good luck guys.

kj

Mark_Able
01-10-10, 09:12 PM
Wish I knew some because I'm involved with sponsorship for the newly crowned 2010 British Supersport Champion, Sam Lowes, finding sponsors even for someone who has been leading the Supersport Championship for almost all of the season is difficult, at best.

Good luck guys.

kj

I know exactly what you mean. I supported Victor Cox, and was continually trying to help by getting more sponsors on board. Where does Sam hail from then? :-?

Scotty
06-10-10, 08:32 PM

Good luck guys.

kj
Hey KJ, do you know one of Sam's mechanics, Craig Reilly? He's one of the Phase One lads and came off-roading in Spain with us last week, I knew he was working for an IDM team but had no idea he was working for Sam too.
Well done to Sam by the way, a thoroughly deserved championship for a guy who's always got a smile on his face [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mark_Able
06-10-10, 09:23 PM
Still looking for businesses or individuals with money... I know times are tough, but think of the long term benefit. If we get enough interest, we'll hold a presentation at Basil's, and go through what to expect from sponsorship, and it's possible advertising benefits.

Just have a think about this:- Back in the 90's when Jamie Whitham and Niall McKenzie were in the Yamaha BSB squad, they were sponsored by Cadbury's Boost. Believe it or not, there was a major increase in sales as a consequence. Bikers are loyal, and seeing the team sponsored by Boost bars, made a conserted effort to buy their product. Of course this also meant replica paint jobs appearing on just about every kind of Yam you could think of. I witnessed the purchasing of said Boost bars, by bikers that were only intent in supporting the team. Until then, I'd never thought that product placement would have an affect on the biker/chocolate consumer. So it works.